Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StringCheese

Genetics Question

StringCheese

Does anyone know anything about or have experiences with type 1.5 running in families? My brother and I were just diagnosed with diabetes, we are 29 and 30 yrs old, overweight our whole lives even as kids playing every sport available, but we still exercise, have low cholesterol, normal blood pressure. I'm sensitive to insulin (my brother hasn't found out yet). Our father was diagnosed in his late 20s with type 1 diabetes and was on insulin his whole life he was skinny at the time of his diagnosis. But I'm GAD negative (my brother doesn't know yet) and my Dr. doesn't know what type of diabetes I have I'll be seeing an endocrinologist in a couple weeks as will my brother.

I was wondering if anyone else knew of diabetes 1.5 running in families is it always one of the MODY mutations? Or if there were any questions I might not think to ask the endocrinologist that someone here wished they had asked when they went in to the Dr? Also does anyone know if there is any connection with diabetes to ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura)? It's an autoimmune disease which decreases your platelets.

Thanks

bdelatte

I'm type 1 and i know they say your risks are higher if it runs in your family but thats about it. No one in my family has type 1 though. I had a great gma that had type 2 later in life and an uncle who has type 2. Thats it. Seems like there are cases all over the place where some people get it and no one in family has it and then some people get it and there are tons of others in the family that has it.... really doesnt make sense to me.

StringCheese

Thanks, yeah it so odd. I was reading up on it and it seems that type 2 runs in families but type 1 typically doesn't. But type 1 and type 2 seems to be all over my family tree. Me, my brother, my father, his brother and sister (though for them it is type 2 and were diagnosed in their 60s), my mother had diabetes when she was pregnant. Also my dad's father died young of a heart attack which could have been diabetes related like my dads heart attack was, then my grandfather's mother also died young 47 of a heart attack as did one of her brothers at 33. Of course the heart attacks aren't necessarily diabetes but given my dad and my brother and I seem to be type 1.5 of some sort and the chances of 2 siblings having type 1 or someone our age having type 2 are pretty low it seems that there must be some genetic involvement. Though if I ever have kids I hope it doesn't get passed on to them.

poodlebone

I was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 19. At the time, there was no history at all of any type of diabetes on either side of my family. 24 years later (last year) my sister was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 45. She had sudden onset, thirst/peeing, weight loss etc so like me, she has classic Type 1 and not 1.5/LADA. So now I guess we did make a history of diabetes in our family although as of now the two of us are still the only ones.

cici

Hiya,

i have the same condition, its very strong through my family, the mody gene has been in my family for generations. all of my family are on insulin, i am on metformin but soon to be changed to insulin as mody id very hard to control for the opisit 3 years from when i first was diagnosed my sugar levels has not once been below 10 and that is with a healthy living. your doctors need to give you a geniostics (may not be spelt right) test this a blood test that looks at the blood line through relatives and will also discover if your children will have it also, your gp can give you this, the must have you sign something giving your permission to do this test this should help doctors find everything they will need to know and help treat your properly, before i had mine 6 months ago my sugars were always over 15 and uncontrolled now i can be treated properly.. that blood test is very important.

CatLord

For what its worth, I was DX'd (sudden onset) T1 at age 32. There is no trace of diabetes on either side of my family -- at all. T1, T2 or otherwise. Docs seem to think in my case T1 was caused by some internal infection and my immune system went haywire, that coupled with stress.

It certainly isn't genetic in my case.

I know this thread is for T-1.5. But just wanted to throw this out there as well :)

JJM335
For what its worth, I was DX'd (sudden onset) T1 at age 32. There is no trace of diabetes on either side of my family -- at all. T1, T2 or otherwise. Docs seem to think in my case T1 was caused by some internal infection and my immune system went haywire, that coupled with stress.

It certainly isn't genetic in my case.

The scientific consensus is that T1D in common with many other autoimmune conditions is a result of an interaction between genetic and environmental factors. The genetic component results in a susceptibility to the condition. The environmental component is a trigger (for example a virus infection) that fools the immune system into attacking you own cells (e.g. your beta cells).

Both genetic and environmental factors must be present for the disease to occur. The fact that nobody else in our family has developed T1 simply means that your "susceptible" genotype has arisen from the combination of genes you have inherited from your mother and father.

Joel

NoraWI

I was dx'd T1 with positive GAD at age 62! So was my maternal grandmother but that was outside the U.S. and in 1950 when testing with GAD65 was not done and no typing was done. My mother had symptoms of DM her entire adult life and even a leg amputation but no dx that I am aware of. She lived to 92. There is a lot of misdiagnosis of diabetes types even today, especially in "older" people. There seems to be little incentive for doctors to pursue a correct diagnosis since they claim that treatment is the same no matter what type. I disagree with that and would like to see better doctor education so that appropriate treatment can be given immediately to the thousands diagnosed with DM each day. BTW, this Forum seems to have at least 3 or 4 newbies registering daily. That amounts to a staggering number of cases worldwide! We DO have a veritable explosion of diabetes!

Arrgy
Does anyone know anything about or have experiences with type 1.5 running in families? My brother and I were just diagnosed with diabetes, we are 29 and 30 yrs old, overweight our whole lives even as kids playing every sport available, but we still exercise, have low cholesterol, normal blood pressure. I'm sensitive to insulin (my brother hasn't found out yet). Our father was diagnosed in his late 20s with type 1 diabetes and was on insulin his whole life he was skinny at the time of his diagnosis. But I'm GAD negative (my brother doesn't know yet) and my Dr. doesn't know what type of diabetes I have I'll be seeing an endocrinologist in a couple weeks as will my brother.

I was wondering if anyone else knew of diabetes 1.5 running in families is it always one of the MODY mutations? Or if there were any questions I might not think to ask the endocrinologist that someone here wished they had asked when they went in to the Dr? Also does anyone know if there is any connection with diabetes to ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura)? It's an autoimmune disease which decreases your platelets.

Thanks

Yes, it does and it doesn't have to be the same kind.

Look this over...

Johns Hopkins: Diabetes on type 2 diabetes|LADA: Special Reports

How many markers do you 2 have?

Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes - RightDiagnosis.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.