Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AnxietyRidden

so very scared!

AnxietyRidden

Pregnant and scared

I am 33, overweight, type 2 diabetic and scared out of my mind. I only recently (about 3 weeks ago) found out that I am almost 3 months pregnant. The pregnancy was a huge surprise because my fiance and I have been together for 9 years and we gave up on trying a long time ago. I never wanted to get pregnant at this weight or age, but I am very happy that I do get the chance to finally become a mother; if I can ever get over my anxiety!

I am confused about blood sugar and pregnancy. About 6 months after I was diagnosed (about 4 years ago) I had my blood sugar under control and have stayed in the 5's for my A1C ever since. 8 months ago I stopped taking all medication because I was having too many lows. I do of course have some highs if I eat really bad but my averages have always been excellent.

Now that I am pregnant my OB is having me test 5 times a day, when I wake up and an hour after each meal and before bed, and my numbers seem pretty high, like around 170 after meals, but if I test 2 hours after meals (where I have always been told to test at) then I am right around 130. My doctor said the 1 hour test shows your peak and that is the number they want to go by and that I am probably going to have to go on insulin. I am concerned because I had a A1C test done last week and it is still at 5.3 and it says my average is only 105. What if I go on insulin and then I have too many lows. I am afraid I am not going to be able to sleep for fear of going into a diabetic coma in the middle of the night!

This is driving me nuts and the anxiety is ruining my daily life and work. Please help!

Nightstar

You are very lucky, you will be mother. I became mother at first at age of 34 and then at age of 36 after infertility treatment. It was very hard. I did not know I was diabetic, I was diagnosed at 50.

I do take insulin Levemir. It is long acting insulin. I take it at bed time only. I took fast acting insulin, it is not good for me. Your numbers are not so high so with right treatment you will not have lows as I think. Also it is not so bad as you can see it right now. With pregnancy your sugar may go higher then you are not pregnant. That is why your doctor think you need insulin. After delivery you probably will not need insulin at all, sometimes it happen. Do not be scared, you will be just fine. Insulin as I do see in my case is better then pills. You will be able to take as much as you need. It is very difficult with pills. I also was in lows more with Metformin and Glipizide then now with insulin. Do not be scared. You will be fine and happy mother.

patricia52

Congrats on the pregnancy. The doctor wants to keep your sugar low to make sure you have a healthy baby and to decrease your chances of having complications. I began insulin about four weeks ago. I have found insulin to be a blessing. I can now enjoy a meal without fear of my BG going too high. By watching my carbs I have lost over 10 pounds since starting insulin. Just relax and enjoy this blessing.

jillybean

How is your eating? I stayed very low in carbs for my first 1.5 trimesters (got more lenient around the holidays, and then got to the "I'm pregnant, I'll eat what I want, when I want!" mentality a bit into my third trimester!) and has a very healthy pregnancy and baby. Most medical professionals will insist you need to eat carbs while you're pregnant, but there is absolutely zero evidence this is true. I avoided all grains, all refined sugars, and even artificial sweeteners and focused my diet on meats, eggs, cheeses, nuts/nut butters, and non-starchy veggies. I allowed occasional fruit, but only a small serving and always accompanied with protein and fat (such as nuts, nut butters, cottage cheese, full-fat plain Greek yogurt, cream cheese, cheeses, etc.). I was able to stay out of the diabetic range without meds or insulin. However, I do not take meds or insulin normally, either, but it sounds like you were only diet controlled before your pregnancy.

Take a deep breath. Stress isn't good for the diabetes or the baby :) Focus on the CONGRATULATIONS!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.