Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HILLTOPPER

? about DECAF. COFFEE

HILLTOPPER

I was reading that coffee with cream could spike my readings.BUT decaf. was OK to drink.. I really do enjoy my coffee! especially now that a hint of fall is in middle Georgia,with the screened back porch & all. Can any or all of you tell a good tasting DECAF. Coffee? I tried one that I got at a hotel this AM. YUCCCCHh . It was not good. I need a good every morning coffee that I can enjoy. :confused:

Thank you

Hill

apollo322

There is no clearcut evidence that regular coffee will spike everyone. You should try drinking it for a few days with heavy cream and testing after. I almost went down the same road you did and was miserable, fortunately I found out coffee doesnt really affect me and the little it did was WORTH IT!:)

If you must go the decaf route New England Coffee makes a pretty good one. Hey I just remembered we have a roaster in our club! Ask Mike M if he plays with decafs.

janice21475

What you need to do is test what coffee does to your blood glucose reading. For instance, if you normally have a great reading of 83 or thereabouts, I do not think coffee would raise it much more than 10-15 points, if that much. If your morning readings are high to start with, then you may want to avoid 'real' coffee. Test before coffee then 1 hour after and, again, at 2 hours after. Base your decision on that.

When my husband was first diagnosed we tested until he could produce no more blood in his fingertips. Yes, coffee did make the number higher but not anywhere near 140 or such. He decided to have it anyway. He did switch to using Splenda for sweetener and Heavy Whipping Cream to lighten. I don't care for the Splenda and take mine with that luscious cream only. The heavy cream slows down the rise in my opinion. (Low Carb/High Fat fan here)

I have never tasted decaf coffee that was worth the effort to make. Opinions may vary. In the end it is your decision.

Kind regards,

Janice

Ela

I usually drink regular coffee without a problem, but I find that Sanka tastes pretty good too. But first try to test after you're drinking the coffee YOU like and maybe you don't even have to worry about it! :)

Vilya

I have zero rise in BG with any type of coffee. Do some tests and see how you do! :)

This is probably heresy for coffee afficionados, but I like both Maxwell House and Sam's Club decaf. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.