Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest jamieileana1

Feeling disappointed With LCHF today anyways.

Peggy_TX
I've decided that at 2:p.m. when Days of our lives is on will be a good time for me to do this.

I started watching with my grandma in 1968, and have been watching pretty consistently for 40+ years.

MCS

I found for lowering BG level quickly, like with in 15 minutes Isometrics was the best way to go. When my BG was high in the morning I could bring down a 140 to under 100 in 15-20 minutes of hard Isometrics. Isometrics use muscle glycogen pretty much exclusively. Your body then will strip the Glucose from your blood to make more glycogen, it happens rather quickly. Isometrics can be done while watching TV, standing in the Kitchen, watching Days of Our Lives especially. Can also be done with a sore toe.

Isometric exercise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guest jamieileana1

wow! I love days! I started watching about 1994 and havent stopped either, LOL.

I started watching with my grandma in 1968, and have been watching pretty consistently for 40+ years.

Guest jamieileana1

OMG THAT IS HILARIOUS!

Watching with Davys of our lives and can be done with a sore toe!!!

I just now seen this, i'm really LOL!!!!

Now isometrics are where you act like you are using weights but are only using your muscles?

I think I will try that tomorrow or even during DAYS while riding my bike!

I found for lowering BG level quickly, like with in 15 minutes Isometrics was the best way to go. When my BG was high in the morning I could bring down a 140 to under 100 in 15-20 minutes of hard Isometrics. Isometrics use muscle glycogen pretty much exclusively. Your body then will strip the Glucose from your blood to make more glycogen, it happens rather quickly. Isometrics can be done while watching TV, standing in the Kitchen, watching Days of Our Lives especially. Can also be done with a sore toe.

Isometric exercise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MCS

jamieileana1, I just noticed you take meds for anxiety have you ever considered that your anxiety is what driving up your BG level, pretty strong link between the two.

Google GABA and anxiety if you get a chance. Ashweghanda, Holy Basal, L-Theanine, Seriphos are really good at combating high BG's from anxiety/stress.

Guest jamieileana1

I FELL OFF THE WAGON TODAY!

BOOOO HISSSSS BOOOOO

I only meant to eat the insides of my burrito of chicken, egg and sour cream but somehow I wanted to just "taste" the toritlla and next thing I knew

I had talked myself right into eating the WHOLE thing!

Dang I feel dirty inside too and after 3 hours I was sooo sluggish and light feeling like I could be blown away on the wind, LOL.

Well I've learned my less and must now go to confession, eeeek! Not really but I do feel really bad!

Peggy_TX
Dang I feel dirty inside too and after 3 hours I was sooo sluggish and light feeling like I could be blown away on the wind, LOL.

The real question is -- did you test at 1, 2 and 3 hours? If you're going to eat something waaaay off plan, I hope you at least recorded the results?

Dona123

I did the same thing, my daughter made rice crispie squares last week for school and I just had to had to have one, tested o1 2 and 3 hours later and gonna tell ya for the guilt I felt while eating it and the results I got NEVER AGAIN live and learn and test and test and test lol gonna put that on my signature line

Guest jamieileana1

I wish I had had my meter with me to test but I didnt so I didnt get to see what or how it affected me and I dont want to go through that GUILT again to find out! LOL, wowser.

The real question is -- did you test at 1, 2 and 3 hours? If you're going to eat something waaaay off plan, I hope you at least recorded the results?

Guest jamieileana1

awww I feel your pain and guilt, literally!

Do you remember what your numbers were?

You sound like a legalist like me, I cant stand being that way, its like being a control freak over your own life but not in a good way, LOL.

I guess if it is what keeps us on track though. sigh...

I did the same thing, my daughter made rice crispie squares last week for school and I just had to had to have one, tested o1 2 and 3 hours later and gonna tell ya for the guilt I felt while eating it and the results I got NEVER AGAIN live and learn and test and test and test lol gonna put that on my signature line

Guest jamieileana1

two weeks later on lchf and not one pound dropped!

I dont know what i am doing wrong here.

The pounds I lost came right back and now back where I stared from.

I must be doing some wrong?

I cut back on my portions as well....

I'm eating far less then before because the fat does work in keeping me fuller

and keeping BS stable all day.

In two weeks my highest reading was 117.

My fasting this a.m. was 96 after having some milk before bed.

I've not even had any junk food.

I dont get it..can anyone shed any light on why no weight loss?

Two weeks should of produced at least a pound or two but my scale

is the exact same number every day!

going to put it away today and not even look at it anymore.

It was funny though that I found yesterday at piece of paper with my testing numbers for a

pb&j sandwich and they were in the 140's and down to the 130's and I thought that that was good!

I'm so glad ive not been there in two weeks!

Peggy_TX

Sounds like you're doing an amazing job with your sugar levels!! Take a little time to focus on that, and don't jump to "but why didn't I lose weight?"

Right now your goal is to control your diabetes. You're doing that. Relax. Brag!! Get settled in with that before looking to how to accomplish ANOTHER goal also

Dona123

My daughter is having the same problem, hang in there it will happen and congrats on the sugar levels wish mine were that good !

patticakes789

Hi Jamie - you sound like me. When I started LC/HF, I lost an initial 8 pounds pretty quickly and since then it has been very slow. I decided to focus on my BG instead of my weight loss, and kept at the LC/HF for those reasons and stopped hopping on the scale every morning and getting depressed because it wasn't moving or moving in the wrong direction. I did have to reduce my protein intake - once that was under control the weight loss has been on and off - its like my body likes to drop 2 lbs and then rest 2 weeks....and I'm an impatient kinda gal that wants results!!

Focusing on the BG was more rewarding for me, as the fat really works great to bring me to a such a better place both emotionally and BG wise. So I was really pleasantly surprised this morning to find that I have dropped 5lbs somewhere in the last 2 weeks.

Since May 23rd, I've lost 27 lbs. I hear stories that lots of other people lose much faster than that so its been a bummer to feel like day to day that nothing was happening. But it is! Try to take a long term view on this - its a life time change you are making, and it took a life time up until now to get where you are at. It won't take a whole life time to reach your goals. I have to remind myself, that my goal is to hang around for my grandkids - and not worry about the day to day stuff. I look back at how I felt every day since May thinking that my weight was barely moving and LC/HF was not working - but gosh!! 27 lbs and a 5.4 A1C is pretty darn good - its just hard to see it unless you step back and see it over time. You'll get there - hang in!!

Hooterville

I lose slow. About two pounds per month. I did have to take a look at my protein and cut back on it. Protein can convert to carbs. Fat is the only thing that doesn't convert to carbs.

Initially when adjusting to low carb, I compensated with protein. Now I'm still adjusting protein down. I'm a baby stepper, slow learner, late bloomer. Whatever you want to call it, I'm always adjusting and tweaking...perfecting.

MCS

Your first priority I would think would be stabilizing your BG levels. Keep in mind your body is way more efficient at making fat then it is fueling your muscles with the glucose and insulin mix. That means if you have IR that slice of bread will end up on your hip rather than in your muscles.

Guest jamieileana1

I've been eating a ton of protein as a filler with veggies just because i'm never if rarely prepared so I would eat waaaaaay over the amount of protein for a serving and am just now thanks to you and others that pointed that out to me. Even though my scale is a liar tells me i've not lost any weight I AM noticing some very very subtle differences with my clothes and even dh has said i've lost some here and there that he can tell but ever so slightly but I will take what I can get! LOL

Thank you so much for your well said reply, it has been very helpful and CONGRATS TO ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!!

Hi Jamie - you sound like me. When I started LC/HF, I lost an initial 8 pounds pretty quickly and since then it has been very slow. I decided to focus on my BG instead of my weight loss, and kept at the LC/HF for those reasons and stopped hopping on the scale every morning and getting depressed because it wasn't moving or moving in the wrong direction. I did have to reduce my protein intake - once that was under control the weight loss has been on and off - its like my body likes to drop 2 lbs and then rest 2 weeks....and I'm an impatient kinda gal that wants results!!

Focusing on the BG was more rewarding for me, as the fat really works great to bring me to a such a better place both emotionally and BG wise. So I was really pleasantly surprised this morning to find that I have dropped 5lbs somewhere in the last 2 weeks.

Since May 23rd, I've lost 27 lbs. I hear stories that lots of other people lose much faster than that so its been a bummer to feel like day to day that nothing was happening. But it is! Try to take a long term view on this - its a life time change you are making, and it took a life time up until now to get where you are at. It won't take a whole life time to reach your goals. I have to remind myself, that my goal is to hang around for my grandkids - and not worry about the day to day stuff. I look back at how I felt every day since May thinking that my weight was barely moving and LC/HF was not working - but gosh!! 27 lbs and a 5.4 A1C is pretty darn good - its just hard to see it unless you step back and see it over time. You'll get there - hang in!!

Guest jamieileana1

wELL I just told my hubby this and he has never heard that protein can convert to carbs so now I have to do some research on it so he can read up on it. I've been eating a ton of carbs. When I have some mixed veggies I always have it with some meats and alot of it because I have a big appetite and it takes a lot of food to fill me up and when I get hungry it comes on SUPER FAST and I dont have time to fix something because I can go from 5 to full and satisfied and a 1 which means starving and feeling HYPO! mY husband and I use the 5 to 1 chart when describing our hunger, we usually use the 1 though...I can be sitting there fine as can be and then get up and feel at a 1 just within minutes, I never understand why I am that way but I hate it and it makes it hard to go places to.

I lose slow. About two pounds per month. I did have to take a look at my protein and cut back on it. Protein can convert to carbs. Fat is the only thing that doesn't convert to carbs.

Initially when adjusting to low carb, I compensated with protein. Now I'm still adjusting protein down. I'm a baby stepper, slow learner, late bloomer. Whatever you want to call it, I'm always adjusting and tweaking...perfecting.

Rosie60056

I have had a swollen abdomen for a few months now. Been type 2 for 3 years uncontrolled for most of them. Recently numbers are looking better, but as numbers look better my abdomen seems to get bigger and bigger. None of my big clothes even fit anymore. No problem with legs or rear, just the closing and the huge muffin top. HELP!!!!!

Guest jamieileana1

rOSIE, I have thee same problem! Mine was so swollen it hurt so bad that I went to the Dr. and found out I have fatty liver disease and was told to change mydiet

which I never did and here I am still with a swollen tummy and it gets so bad that my lower rib cage hurts.

your Dr. can do an ultra sound to see if it is gall bladder related or liver related or something else. I really need to look up fatty liver disease again to see what to eat and maybe you can

see the Dr. about yours. Dont think its nothing to blow off because it can be something that can be fixed..

oh yeah, I too have the muffin top..yuck.

I have had a swollen abdomen for a few months now. Been type 2 for 3 years uncontrolled for most of them. Recently numbers are looking better, but as numbers look better my abdomen seems to get bigger and bigger. None of my big clothes even fit anymore. No problem with legs or rear, just the closing and the huge muffin top. HELP!!!!!

Ela

I don't know if I had a desease but I used to have "fatty liver" markers in my blood tests for years - at the dx these markers were the worst. Guess what? Most of them became normal in TWO WEEKS! after I started low carb diet. And then all of them normalized along with the Triglicerides that were triple of the norm at the time. Never again.

Knock on the wood but except LDL cholesterol & slight deficiency of Vitamin D - my blood work is all normal these days. And doctors NEVER told me about the connection between low carb and these things! My guess would be that they don't know and all sing "whole grain, low fat" song, which could be good for some people I guess, but not to me and many others!

MCS

That swelling in your gut just below your rib cage is your pancreas screaming for a break. I also had NAFLD, it was a problem of over indulgence of carbs when I shouldn't have been eating them. Its all gone now.

Guest jamieileana1

there is two different kinds of Fatty Liver and one is from high triglycerides and one is from alcholol. I do NOT drink at all and have never been a drinker either

so that leaves it up to my high triglycerides which I forgot how high but Dr. was concerned and I swore I would do what I could to get them down on my own before going on meds

if I couldnt. I will be going in in the next couple weeks or so to do that...

I too have low vitamin D. My level is 23 and my Dr. says should be between 50 and 70. I read that low vitamin D can affect your blood sugar and so many other things.

I going to start on that too soon here...if you are not taking anything for yours you may want to consider it.

I also read the best kind to take is an oil filled one and not a hard ole tablet.

coming winter and all we will all be out of vitamin D if your liver is unable to store it.

I'm anxious to see how my numbers are when I go in again. Not that they will show upp that fast on this lchf but just in general.

I don't know if I had a desease but I used to have "fatty liver" markers in my blood tests for years - at the dx these markers were the worst. Guess what? Most of them became normal in TWO WEEKS! after I started low carb diet. And then all of them normalized along with the Triglicerides that were triple of the norm at the time. Never again.

Knock on the wood but except LDL cholesterol & slight deficiency of Vitamin D - my blood work is all normal these days. And doctors NEVER told me about the connection between low carb and these things! My guess would be that they don't know and all sing "whole grain, low fat" song, which could be good for some people I guess, but not to me and many others!

Guest jamieileana1

I have the swelling too and so how do you give your pancreas a break?

I also have something called acostacondroitis, or something like that which is an inflammation of the ribs but sitting too long

in this cchair seems to really aggravate and I wish it would go away!

I cannot do computer work for too long...maybe sitting scrunched up in chairs makes our tummy poof out, LOL

That swelling in your gut just below your rib cage is your pancreas screaming for a break. I also had NAFLD, it was a problem of over indulgence of carbs when I shouldn't have been eating them. Its all gone now.

Hooterville
wELL I just told my hubby this and he has never heard that protein can convert to carbs so now I have to do some research on it so he can read up on it. I've been eating a ton of carbs. When I have some mixed veggies I always have it with some meats and alot of it because I have a big appetite and it takes a lot of food to fill me up and when I get hungry it comes on SUPER FAST and I dont have time to fix something because I can go from 5 to full and satisfied and a 1 which means starving and feeling HYPO! mY husband and I use the 5 to 1 chart when describing our hunger, we usually use the 1 though...I can be sitting there fine as can be and then get up and feel at a 1 just within minutes, I never understand why I am that way but I hate it and it makes it hard to go places to.
Poor use of terms. I should have said protein can be converted to glucose.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.