Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest jamieileana1

Feeling disappointed With LCHF today anyways.

Guest jamieileana1

ohhhhh well then that explains it!

LOL..no wonder my hubby thought I was strange saying that LOL

Poor use of terms. I should have said protein can be converted to glucose.

MCS
I have the swelling too and so how do you give your pancreas a break?

I also have something called acostacondroitis, or something like that which is an inflammation of the ribs but sitting too long

in this cchair seems to really aggravate and I wish it would go away!

I cannot do computer work for too long...maybe sitting scrunched up in chairs makes our tummy poof out, LOL

Carbs make your pancreas work harder. The Cheerios you had caused your pancreas to release more insulin which caused your BG level to go from 130 to 75. Then you ate more carbs which caused your over worked pancreas to secrete even more insulin. You can give your pancreas a rest by eating as little carbs as possible for while. You will know when the time is right to start including more carbs.

Guest jamieileana1

Soooooo is this not a good thing to go from 130 to 75 in a two hour period? I was happy that it did but not happy if not a good thing.

I've been giving my pancreas a break for two weeks now unless you consider the carbs from veggies not to be good for pancreas???

I also decided not to add anything back in yet but I thought if I wanted a meal with carbs now and then that that would be better to do it that way,

like if i'm out and about and I do get hungry that i would eat something rather then starving, lol.

Carbs make your pancreas work harder. The Cheerios you had caused your pancreas to release more insulin which caused your BG level to go from 130 to 75. Then you ate more carbs which caused your over worked pancreas to secrete even more insulin. You can give your pancreas a rest by eating as little carbs as possible for while. You will know when the time is right to start including more carbs.
I may induI

Guest jamieileana1

Good! So I did something right finally, lol

I think I average about 20 carbs a meal and mostly veggies carbs and sometimes a piece of toast carb for breakfast..

gosh I msis toast more then dairy queen..

Thank you for your inspiration too..

Its a good thing to go from 130 to 75. I was just pointing out how to give your pancreas a break.

drummingfool

Definitely keep in mind that however much insulin your pancreas makes for carbs, it makes half that for proteins when there are no carbs to carry them through. in other words:

* If you eat nothing but 10 grams of carbs, your body produces 2 units of insulin

* If you eat 10 units of protein WITH NO CARBS (This is important to understand), then your pancreas will make 1 unit of insulin to counteract.

* If you eat 10g of protein and pretty much any carbs at all, the protein is of no consequence, and you only have to focus on the carbs.

Basically, your body figures it has to make energy out of something. If you give your body a couple carbs, it would rather use that, and let the protein do its own thing. However, if you're only giving your body protein, it'll make energy out of it one way or the other.

I hope this makes sense. :)

This is straight out of Think Like A Pancreas, and has done wonders for my BG and diet.

Guest jamieileana1

Ok, I think i'm getting it but what if I eat mixed veggie that has 16 carbs and my protein has about 40 grams of protein, then does that cancel out the protein too?

Does it matter how many carb to protein ratio there is to cancel out the protein?

'

And what about the poor kidnes with all that protein?

how can one go about giving your kidnes a protein break because what would one eat then if no carbs and no protein for a day or two?

I'm thinking of doing some kind of cleansing thingy but I dont know a thing about doing it or if necessary..

For breakfasst I had two eggs, chicken, a piece of sausage and two pieces of bacon all for protein and fats.

I also had with it some mixed veggies and a slice of toast...so the toast has 20 carbs and the veggies has 16 carbs.

I know I ate more protein then carbs but that does not matter right?

I only ate half the toast and half the veggies because I was reading this as I was eating and realized it was too many carbs at one meal..

right?

Im going to figure this thing out one way or another, lol.

Definitely keep in mind that however much insulin your pancreas makes for carbs, it makes half that for proteins when there are no carbs to carry them through. in other words:

* If you eat nothing but 10 grams of carbs, your body produces 2 units of insulin

* If you eat 10 units of protein WITH NO CARBS (This is important to understand), then your pancreas will make 1 unit of insulin to counteract.

* If you eat 10g of protein and pretty much any carbs at all, the protein is of no consequence, and you only have to focus on the carbs.

Basically, your body figures it has to make energy out of something. If you give your body a couple carbs, it would rather use that, and let the protein do its own thing. However, if you're only giving your body protein, it'll make energy out of it one way or the other.

I hope this makes sense. :)

This is straight out of Think Like A Pancreas, and has done wonders for my BG and diet.

MCS

What veggies are you eating that have 16g of carbs in them? I don't worry about carbs in veggies as long they are low starch veggies, no beans, potatoes, etc. I stick with Broccoli, zucs, squash, green beans, salads, cucs, peppers, onions, kale, collards, mushrooms, cabbage, brussel sprouts, celery, egg plant, etc.

The easiest thing I did was to purchase all fresh veggies and the biggest variety I could find. I would then wash and cut all of them up, mix them together and place in giant 2 gallon zip lock bags. Dinner time I would take out a couple handfuls of the veggies and fry them in Coconut Oil. When they started to get soft I would make a hole in the middle and add some type of protein, shrimp, beef, pork, chicken, fish. When cooked, wife had a certain sauce she liked, I had a certain sauce I liked, both were happy. You can also add in some cauliflower grated to rice size and microwaved with butter until slightly tender (4 minutes) and use this instead of rice. I have also used steamed cabbage as rice (use the coleslaw shreds). Pastaless dinner, make your fav pasta sauce with meat. Microwave a bag of coleslaw shreds for a couple of minutes with butter, allow it to cool then add in some mozzarella cheese shreds, use this as your pasta. We love it at our house.

Guest jamieileana1

Well you like a lot more veggies then I do that is for sure. Thee only ones I will eat is corn, carrots, peas and green beans and once in a great while brocoli.

The mixed veggies that I have are a mixture of the corn, carrots, peas, and green beans. I do not eat the carrots though as it seemed to mess me up a bit.

They are 16 carbs for 2/3 cup and I KNOW i eat a lot more then that even though I try to do portions, it depends on how hungry I am .

So you think veggies carbs are ok versus of course whole grain carbs?

Today I went to a burger place called Freddies and I had a double burger with cheese and I allowed myself some fries and two hours later I was down to 77.

I dont know what number I started out at but I was at a 77 and very cranky and ready to throw things, LOL, that is just how I get when I feel hypo yet sometimes I

can feel low and not feel that way so who knows why the difference of feeling and emotions at the same numbers???

I really wished I like other veggies, and I know it is up to me to decide to like them but I did that with the broccoli and I liked it at first but now I dont like it much...

so i'm just sticking with the same ole boring veggies that I do like and I enjoy them as well.

I buy them iin bags called "steamers" you just throw in the micro for 5 minutes and eat.

I wont buy canned and fresh is hard to cut up all that, so I use the steamers, I like them alot.

Do you know why I would be crashing down to a 77 lately? I know what you said about how it happens but I dont get why it has happened 3 times now in 2 days.

do you think that this is a good thing, or just not enough food at one meal?

Either way seeing a nice low number makes me feel good as long as it is a good thing and nothing bad from going low like that.

What veggies are you eating that have 16g of carbs in them? I don't worry about carbs in veggies as long they are low starch veggies, no beans, potatoes, etc. I stick with Broccoli, zucs, squash, green beans, salads, cucs, peppers, onions, kale, collards, mushrooms, cabbage, brussel sprouts, celery, egg plant, etc.

The easiest thing I did was to purchase all fresh veggies and the biggest variety I could find. I would then wash and cut all of them up, mix them together and place in giant 2 gallon zip lock bags. Dinner time I would take out a couple handfuls of the veggies and fry them in Coconut Oil. When they started to get soft I would make a hole in the middle and add some type of protein, shrimp, beef, pork, chicken, fish. When cooked, wife had a certain sauce she liked, I had a certain sauce I liked, both were happy. You can also add in some cauliflower grated to rice size and microwaved with butter until slightly tender (4 minutes) and use this instead of rice. I have also used steamed cabbage as rice (use the coleslaw shreds). Pastaless dinner, make your fav pasta sauce with meat. Microwave a bag of coleslaw shreds for a couple of minutes with butter, allow it to cool then add in some mozzarella cheese shreds, use this as your pasta. We love it at our house.

MCS

Did you eat the bun with that burger and the fries. You caused an insulin surge which brought your numbers down, 77 is normal number for me, I'm usually lower than that before dinner. You have excess insulin building up because you are eating generally less carbs than you were eating. SO when you do eat carbs your body reacts with what is it has stored up. You have Phase 1 insulin and Phase 2 insulin. Phase 1 insulin is insulin that is being stored for future use (bolus or eating). This insulin is released as soon as you eat. Your body can only make Phase 1 insulin if your demand is less than your production. Phase 2 insulin is freshly made insulin. Phase 2 insulin takes longer to work because it has to be made first. So if your taking BG levels every 30 minutes after you eat some carbs you may see the reaction of Phase 1 insulin. If it is taking 2-3 hours to get your numbers back down your mainly using phase 2 insulin. In my opinion using phase 2 insulin means your eating beyond your insulin production.

Its like having water behind a dam. The dam leaks out at a steady rate, but every once in a while the valve gets opened and a whole lot of water gets flushed out. Now repeat that several times pretty soon you have no water left to leak out.

Corn, Carrots and peas are some of the veggies I avoid just for that reason. But if your doing good eating them I wouldn't stop.

Guest jamieileana1

I dont get the phase 1 and phase 2 so I have to reread it a few times for it to sink in.

I did not eat the bum with the burger, I had about two small bites of the bun though just to taste it all together.

The fries I had were small skinny fries but I seemed to of had a harder time stopping eating them then if I had just left them out of the order.

so what does all that mean? if i ate only some fries and a couple bites of a bun and it dropped that low in 2 hours?

I still dont quite understand if that is good or bad and if good how so? could you help me to understand that part a bit more please.

I still havent eaten since it was 77. I'm waiting to see if it goes up on its own.

I feel miserable though so tense and icky, proabaly not a good thing to do but i'm just curious if it comes up on its own and hoping that that is a good thing

or does it matter again?

IT CAME BACK UP TO 92 AFTER WAITING ANOTHER HOUR OR SO! IS THAT A GOOD THING THEN?

Did you eat the bun with that burger and the fries. You caused an insulin surge which brought your numbers down, 77 is normal number for me, I'm usually lower than that before dinner. You have excess insulin building up because you are eating generally less carbs than you were eating. SO when you do eat carbs your body reacts with what is it has stored up. You have Phase 1 insulin and Phase 2 insulin. Phase 1 insulin is insulin that is being stored for future use (bolus or eating). This insulin is released as soon as you eat. Your body can only make Phase 1 insulin if your demand is less than your production. Phase 2 insulin is freshly made insulin. Phase 2 insulin takes longer to work because it has to be made first. So if your taking BG levels every 30 minutes after you eat some carbs you may see the reaction of Phase 1 insulin. If it is taking 2-3 hours to get your numbers back down your mainly using phase 2 insulin. In my opinion using phase 2 insulin means your eating beyond your insulin production.

Its like having water behind a dam. The dam leaks out at a steady rate, but every once in a while the valve gets opened and a whole lot of water gets flushed out. Now repeat that several times pretty soon you have no water left to leak out.

Corn, Carrots and peas are some of the veggies I avoid just for that reason. But if your doing good eating them I wouldn't stop.

Ela

92 is fine - I'm not very good at it but to me it seems that you body balanced itself after those ups and downs.

I have these things happen to me often - more often than not when my BG is too high for my liking without a good reason, I eat a snack and voila! - it goes down to something between 90 & 110 and sometimes lower. Just today I had 108 BEFORE lunch and then 2 hrs after it's 87 :dontknow:. I mean - both numbers make no sence to me but as long as it's under 140 I'm trying not to think about it much.

MCS

Its a good thing you were able to get your BG level back down into the 70's, also you found out your body will take of your low bg on its own. Sometimes if my BG level falls rapidly I will get some hypo feelings. Most T2's have a carb budget. It takes time to figure out how to eat and stay with in your budget. Carb budget is determined by the amount of insulin you have to bring down your BG level after eating a certain amount of carbs. Your pancreas can only produce so much insulin on a daily basis, if you use more than it can make your BG level goes up.

I dont get the phase 1 and phase 2 so I have to reread it a few times for it to sink in.

I did not eat the bum with the burger, I had about two small bites of the bun though just to taste it all together.

The fries I had were small skinny fries but I seemed to of had a harder time stopping eating them then if I had just left them out of the order.

so what does all that mean? if i ate only some fries and a couple bites of a bun and it dropped that low in 2 hours?

I still dont quite understand if that is good or bad and if good how so? could you help me to understand that part a bit more please.

I still havent eaten since it was 77. I'm waiting to see if it goes up on its own.

I feel miserable though so tense and icky, proabaly not a good thing to do but i'm just curious if it comes up on its own and hoping that that is a good thing

or does it matter again?

IT CAME BACK UP TO 92 AFTER WAITING ANOTHER HOUR OR SO! IS THAT A GOOD THING THEN?

Guest jamieileana1

I did a couple experiments today only because i was curious.

My first one was two slices of bread that totaled 20 carbs with some meat and mayo.

I figured the veggies are about 16 carbs so that it wasnt much more.

I started at 91 and in 90 minutes was at 129 and 30 minutes later back down to 97.

The 2nd test I did was with mashed potatoes and it was only about 1/2 a cup.

I started at 87 and jumped to 139 (totally bummed)! and 30 minutes later

down to 106.

soooooo.....I'm really bummed about the potatoes but not too bad about the sandwich.

ah well, I had to find out right?

Is it possible to be even MORE sensitive to carbs now after being off them for the most part?

the amount of potatoes I had were not even that much and I had grilled chicken and cottage cheese with it and

nothng else...

Mike M
I did a couple experiments today only because i was curious.

My first one was two slices of bread that totaled 20 carbs with some meat and mayo.

I figured the veggies are about 16 carbs so that it wasnt much more.

I started at 91 and in 90 minutes was at 129 and 30 minutes later back down to 97.

The 2nd test I did was with mashed potatoes and it was only about 1/2 a cup.

I started at 87 and jumped to 139 (totally bummed)! and 30 minutes later

down to 106.

soooooo.....I'm really bummed about the potatoes but not too bad about the sandwich.

ah well, I had to find out right?

Is it possible to be even MORE sensitive to carbs now after being off them for the most part?

the amount of potatoes I had were not even that much and I had grilled chicken and cottage cheese with it and

nothng else...

When it comes to potatoes mashed spike the fastest versus baked or pan fried etc. same potato weight slower to hit bloodstream with lower overall high. Personally I have re-introduced small portion mashed with a slurge meal like last night and personally don't sweat a brief minor spike since damage occurs over time not instantly. Went into dinner 98 2hr I was back to 98. I didn't bother checking sooner since by the portion and number going in pretty darn sure it wouldn't break 140, it's a quality of life choice for me - I'm a Culinarian not just a diabetic. And as long as an occasional spike is below 140 I don't give a rip, it's still in the safe zone! We'll see how successful my attitude is when I take my 3 months since getting my meter A1c next month. But I'm not sweating it since in 2 months crashed it from 12.9 to 6.4 and daily numbers continue downward trend now seldom above 100. And testing my method again tonight with black beans and rice to go with Cajun seasoned smoke grilled Alaska Copper River Salmon - yup I'm into great foods and the Bid D ain't gonna stop me!

Seagal
Good! So I did something right finally, lol

I think I average about 20 carbs a meal and mostly veggies carbs and sometimes a piece of toast carb for breakfast..

gosh I msis toast more then dairy queen..

Thank you for your inspiration too..

Did you look on the recipe section for breads/muffins and such?

One bread that is pretty good has almond butter, vinegar, soda and salt. Sounds awful huh? It comes out lovely and I have bacon & tomato sandwiches with it, it doesn't raise my b.s. and it is nice to have a sandwich or toast with egg. The loaf is small, so the sandwich is small also, but the fact is, it is a sandwich!

If you are interested, I will get the link to the actual recipe, I can't post it here because it is published in a book, in fact, you may like the book "Low Carbing Among Friends" volume 1. Or, check out Lowcarbingamongfriends.com for fabulous recipes.

You don't have to miss toast, it is just not in the form you are used to:)

Guest jamieileana1

Yes can you send me the recipe and I will try it but mainly because there is only a few ingredients, lol.

I canont find the link for recipes, do you know what they are under?

I seriously need some new material to eat here or I can see how this type of way of eating can be thrown out the window, lol.

Did you look on the recipe section for breads/muffins and such?

One bread that is pretty good has almond butter, vinegar, soda and salt. Sounds awful huh? It comes out lovely and I have bacon & tomato sandwiches with it, it doesn't raise my b.s. and it is nice to have a sandwich or toast with egg. The loaf is small, so the sandwich is small also, but the fact is, it is a sandwich!

If you are interested, I will get the link to the actual recipe, I can't post it here because it is published in a book, in fact, you may like the book "Low Carbing Among Friends" volume 1. Or, check out Lowcarbingamongfriends.com for fabulous recipes.

You don't have to miss toast, it is just not in the form you are used to:)

MCS

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.