Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike M

Thanks DF!

Mike M

Still not quite 3 months since DX and getting my meter and results have been nothing short of outstanding. The best thing that ever happened was finding this forum and hearing about eating to my meter. When I got my meter 7/31 I was instructed to check twice a day. Don't remember the date but only a day or two later found DF and immediately started checking before and after EVERY meal plus some. The following week had a follow up with Doc and asked him to up my strip prescription. He reiterated only needed to check twice a day - I countered NO I need to learn what and how much of what foods affect my BG and need to check at least 6 times a day! We almost got in an argument, I won and he wrote a new script for 200 strips per month. And the results speak for themselves. Six weeks later at our next follow up when I showed him my numbers including graphs his eyes lit up like a kid Christmas morning - he became a believer. He even called his nurse over and pointing to the graph exclaiming look at this almost all his numbers already in the safe zone for a month! And now the past 30 days only twice miscalculating a splurge meal edging over 140. Thanks again ya'll for being here and sharing your experience, strength and hope!

post-47103-139628781846_thumb.jpg

post-47103-139628781847_thumb.jpg

Dona123

Awesome, hope I do as well at my next Drs Appt, what is with them and only checking 2 times a day, I have to pay for mine and still check up to 10 times a day, usually at least 6, we all seem to be told the same thing. Asked my Dr why she was insistent upon the 2 times only, her response was it was all I needed and if I varied the times every day it would give me a good idea of what I was dealing with, NOT, this does not allow for new foods, splurging, or just those days we seem to hit, I'll continue to do like I was told here and eat to my meter, it has taken me from a daily average of 500 to 100 in 4 weeks. I still have problem times but thanks to eating to my meter I'm learning what they are and what is causing them. If I only tested say in the morning I would have no way of knowing that the watermelon set my numbers off the scale for a short time. I am so glad I found this place and wish every singel diabetic out there could be here as well.

poodlebone

That's fantastic, Mike! I think most doctors think people with Type 2 only need to test once or twice a day (or once or twice a week!) because most of their patients are not willing or able to change their diets to reflect their meter readings. Or, many people just don't even understand what the numbers mean and how they can change them. I'm glad you were able to change your doctor's mind.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.