Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kmcd23

Appt Thursday for a Pump and CGM

kmcd23

I have been doing pretty good with maintaining my blood sugars lately, a few highs sprinkled here and there but always corrected relatively quickly. But more often lows. Lows in the 20's and 30's a couple of times last week. And still slowly losing weight, because my portions are so small to keep my sugars in control.

So, I'm going in for a pump on Thursday, and hopefully a CGM but we'll see. My goal is to tighten my control with hopefully a little more food and less out of range readings.

Does anyone have any advice for questions I should ask, or things I should know? This is a whole new world to me. I'm still on Lantus nightly, and Novolog with each meal (and now with each snack too). As I try to increase my snacks, I'm finding overlapping dosages to be my big problem. But if I just eat meals, no snacks, my 1hr readings are too high. I'm hoping a pump will help solve that problem.

Steal

I think the biggest part of using a pump correctly is knowing your basal rate and carb:insulin ratios. Understanding my body's natural temperment helped me a great deal. I did basal testing and then carb testing when I first got my pump. With pregnancy, the way you do this testing might need to be a bit different, but it can still be done. I think a lot is learned once you have it in your hands and on your body. You will learn what parts of you are most sensitive and what areas react best. I am sure once you start, you will find more answers and more questions and I hope it is all going well.

kmcd23

Thanks Steph. I really liked my new endo, and the appointment went well, but not in the direction I expected. He wants me to continue using injections, but switch from Lantus to Levemir. (Thank goodness. I hated using a non-approved insulin for pregnancy but my OB's office didn't seem to think it was important.) He said he liked the amount of control I had, and would hate to see it get screwed up while I learned a pump. Also, he thinks I should get a CGM, so I just have to fill out the insurance logs that are required to get that process started.

We're giving the Levimir a trial period, and then if I still want a pump, he said he'd approve the Omnipod. But he wanted me to give the injections/CGM combo a try first.

Still waiting on the Levemir - it is considered non-formulary under military insurance so it has to go through an approval process. Hoping I get the call on monday to go pick it up.

I'm anxious to see what my next A1C is in two weeks. If it's good, then I guess I'll stick with injections. If it's not, I'm going to push for the pump because I honestly don't think there is anything else I can do at this point. I'm trying my very best.

-Lee-B

My diabetes clinic here will not put a pregnant person on a pump. They almost pulled mine away when I got pregnant 1 month after starting. But since I has been a pumper for over 6 years (stopping a few years back due to lack of insurance) I was ok to keep it. They feel the risk is too high to the baby during the adjustment period where blood sugars need to be stabalized through trial and error until you get the right settings. For some they can pick up all the skills needed and fly with it right away. Others struggle for months get get things settled...not ideal for baby. With the great control you have I wouldn't worry!!

My clinic did say that other places have the opposite plan in place where they try to automatically put pregnant moms on a pump to help with control. So it will really vary based on location! But, even on a pump I have highs and lows...so as long as you are on top of it as much as you can your baby will be fine!

I'm glad you got to stay on the better long acting insulins! I've heard that some ladies get switched back to NPH while pregnant since it's approved. I remember years of NPH (before levemir and lantus came along) and they were rough days, for me anyways. Despite not fully knowing the impact on baby I would have insisted I stay on levemir as I know NPH sent me sky high every overnight and I know that for is bad for baby.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.