Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest jamieileana1

My Dr. says I'm "normal" now

Guest jamieileana1

I did like it but it didnt quite hit the spot.

I added the cocoa and it tasted good but not the same as like the Llindt or something like that, something missing from everything I make here...

or is it just my bad cooking, lol.

When I went to the store I was in the dairy isle getting ccheeses and they have a big display right there with cookies, cupcakes, donuts, and what nots.

So much for shopping on the outside of the stores, them sneaks, lol.

I rarely if ever use to even buy that stuff but now that I see it, I feel a bit of grief maybe is the right word, and some anger,

and some other emotions that I cannot really have that stuff without consequences. I can basically have anything and everything that I want

but not without paying the price and i'm not willing to do that anymore..I feel some resentment looking at them things..

I hate being a sweeets junkie, I need AA maybe to reform of it..

I will look at some of the websites you for things...sigh..

I havent gone back to any of my old yummies and I dont plan on it.

Maybe one day I will allow myself something for a treat, maybe thanksgiving or Christmas a piece of pumpkin pie! Maybe though, only maybe.

When it comes right down to it I doubt I will do it..crazy.

Jamie, I take it you didn't like the fudge recipe? Did you re-melt all the stuff without the cocoa and remix it? Sometimes it takes some tweaking with the sweetner, adding chopped nuts, maybe a bit of cream.

I don't know of too many store bought treats, the only chocolate I've tried is the Lindt 90% and also Baker's unsweetened chocolate which you can melt and add some sweetner of choice and stick back in the fridge. If you buy stuff at the store you can be sure it will have disagreeable ingredients such as sugar alcohols, corn syrup, modified food starch, corn starch, rice syrup, etc.

Visit some low carb websites pick out some recipes that sound good and get your hubby to make them, you could have crackers, chips, candy, cakes, pies, muffins and on and on and on and on and on!

Take a look at "Your Lighter Side", ComfyBelly, or just google low carb recipes.

Maybe others have store bought suggestions for you, but I think you'd be asking for more trouble. It takes some time to re-train your taste buds and if you are always going back to what you were used to eating, that won't happen. Sure, maybe the yummy stuff I've mentioned doesn't taste as yummy as a HoHo or a Twinkie or a whatever, but it is a pretty good substitute when you want a little something but don't want your b.g. to shoot the moon.

Hooterville
I used to make a peanut butter fudge recipe that I found on the forum here. I poured it in ice cube trays and kept the fudge in freezer baggies in the freezer and they'd last me a few weeks so I wasn't always having to make something.

Then I went on a peanut butter cookie kick: 1 cup natural peanut butter, 1 egg, 1 cup Splenda, 1 Tsp vanilla, 1 Tbs ground flax or almond flour. Combine ingredients, make 18 balls, smash with a crosshatch pattern with a fork and bake for 7 minutes at 350. About 2 carbs each cookie IIRC.

Now I'm all about the peanut butter pancakes with cream cheese frosting. The recipe is in the recipe section. I keep the pancakes in the freezer (between layers of wax paper in a freezer bag) and toast them and frost with the frosting. I have them in the freezer all the time. I also have the frosting made up in the fridge at all times. This way they are there when I want something sweet.

Ooops, I meant pumpking pancakes..... :T

Guest jamieileana1

Deprived... that is the word I keep looking for

Sent from my VS950 4G using Diabetes forums

Hooterville
Deprived... that is the word I keep looking for

Sent from my VS950 4G using Diabetes forums

You don't have to be.

Guest jamieileana1

today is day 3, if i when I make it through the day

that i've not screwed up with white carbs, fast foods, candy, blah blah blah, the usual.

I almost blew it last night and had a tiny bowl of cereal but my hubby talked me out of it :)

thankful today that he did.

Still no weight loss, uggggh..though he says my butt looks smaller, I beg to differ..

I"m joining sweet junkies annonymous:

I came to admit that I am POWERLESS over junk foods

that I made a decision to turn my .....forgot the rest but yep thats whatt I need to do.

Guest jamieileana1

I have a question about Metformin.

I read that 1500 is the usual dose to be effective in helping BG.

Maybe that is why i'm not really seeing much difference in anything including weightloss.

I called the clinic today but my Dr. is of course out of town for two weeks.

I was going to ask her about going on the ER 1000

but then I read of doses o7 750 and thought maybe better to go up slower like that.

Then I got to thinking that I have 500 mgs pills and maybe I would just go up to 750 twice a day on my own

till I can get the 1000 ER.

I know my Dr. dont even care what I do with my meds as long as I do them wisely.

She know how I am with them and that I am always tweaking them to my needs.

What do you guys think of this higher dose and is it true that the 500 mgs if only effective for a

while then you need to go up to the 1500?

Hooterville

Jamieleanna, I don't think switching around from regular to ER and little dose changes here and there are the issue. The issue is diet. No amount of Metformin will undo bad food choices.

I take maximum dose of regular Met. I believe it to be more effective than Met ER for me... I have between 30 and 40 carbs per day.

Guest jamieileana1

I really dont think my diet is that bad unless i'm delusional here.

yes I have had some daily slipups with some things but the last few days or so i've been really good.

Even before that I dont think my slipups have been that bad with maybe one a day or two at thee most.

'I have about 20 carbs per meal and that is even less then some have.

I dont know what else to do.

Today my hubby made some eggs fried in coconut oil and then use that to cover some meatloaf so it

was fried egg coating over meatloaf with green beans....waaaay too much oil and i'm STILL hungry!

afterwards my BG was 98 and I was still starving, still am starving!

Ugggh I just want a big bowl of PASTA!

Jamieleanna, I don't think switching around from regular to ER and little dose changes here and there are the issue. The issue is diet. No amount of Metformin will undo bad food choices.

I take maximum dose of regular Met. I believe it to be more effective than Met ER for me... I have between 30 and 40 carbs per day.

MCS

You know those sweets you are wanting and some times eating when a Diabetic you might as well just get some Elmers glue and glue them to your sides and stomach, thats were they will end up any way. Glucose and high insulin is really good at making fat.

Your still hungry after eating because you didn't eat enough, eat till your about to bust and then some more, make it unpleasant to have to eat anything else after dinner, its the only way to get past this hump in the road to wellness.

Vilya

Jamie, I have held off on posting in this thread, because frankly it has made me a little bit angry. People here have given and given of their time and advice, and you keep finding excuses to eat what you want anyway.

But then I realized that you are just like I was when I was in the full throes of my carb addiction. In your head you're saying, "WHY can't I eat what I want? I want it!! IT'S NOT FAIR!."

Am I right? You feel like the world owes you your carby foods and God bless it, you're going to eat it and THAT WILL SHOW THEM. You like the feeling of "getting one over" on "them," don't you? Except that the "them" is really YOU. The only person you're "getting one over on" is yourself, and who does that hurt? YOU.

The only way to get that child's voice out of your head (the "I WANT" voice), is to STOP EATING THE FOOD. All of it. It's the ONLY way you're going to shut that voice up. For you, I would include no artificial sweeteners as well, as that seems to be your biggest downfall. I never had a sweet tooth; for me it was the salty, crunchy stuff that made the "I WANT" voice scream the loudest.

I'm telling you, once you stop eating it, you will no longer crave it. It's going to SUCK for a while while you're "detoxing," but it's so worth it on the other side, I promise you. Don't tell yourself that you can never have it again. Tell yourself, "I'm choosing to not eat this TODAY." Then say it again tomorrow.

I worry about you, because you remind me so much of me, and I was headed down the road towards a very bad end. *hugs*

TYPE2DIABETIC

she said when I was 6.1 THEN I was pre d but am not no longer anything but NORMAL!

Get a new Doctor , Normal???? I am T2 and controll my BS, just because we are diabetic does not make use not NORMAL. What is NORMAL in this world anyway?????

Peggy_TX
I dont think anyone should deprive themselves unless doing so is going to cause great harm but once in a while and in a calculated planned way I think it is ok. I'm probably saying the opposite of what everone else has said but I find myself happier for having a treat sometimes and I would rather be happy then miserable.

LOL -- you really should read my "public shaming" thread!!

I tend to "cheat" more than some here. BUT -- and this is the HUGE KEY -- it's is tiny stuff, and infrequent. And then it creeps up on you (me!!), and it's time to come here and get it under control before it takes control.

Give yourself at least 6 months to establish GOOD habits. Find acceptance and find foods you really LOVE that are very-low-carb.

Yes, I think it's ok to have bites of things now and then.

I also know that it's NOT ok for my sugar levels to go high. Period. If I "cheat" (or make a mistake) that raises my blood sugar, I have humalog.

But that's a 1-2x/MONTH thing -- NOT "a couple times/week"

You need to come to terms with the "right" lifestyle choices and THEN you can start to figure out what rules are ok to break. You WILL get there, but you can't start there.

GretchO
If I "cheat" (or make a mistake) that raises my blood sugar, I have humalog.

How do you know how much insulin to inject for "cheat" moments? How did you (or did you) test your I:C ratios, how do you adjust for IR (if it's an issue/factor), or do you just wing it and hope for the best? I always thought insulin would be a great option in these instances, but upon thinking about it in the Type 2 arena, find I am having questions about actual methodology.

Peggy_TX
How do you know how much insulin to inject for "cheat" moments? How did you (or did you) test your I:C ratios, how do you adjust for IR (if it's an issue/factor), or do you just wing it and hope for the best? I always thought insulin would be a great option in these instances, but upon thinking about it in the Type 2 arena, find I am having questions about actual methodology.

As with all insulin use, you start with a conservative idea and then "tweak" to find your own ratios.

As a rule, I only use the insulin to target bringing my level back to about 140.. maybe a touch lower. If I over-shoot, I'm still at a safe level.

Again, I only use it as assistance. Others use exercise (like a quick run on the treadmill) the same way, but that isn't a good option for me (physical restrictions)

If it's something that interests you, you should discuss with your doctor.

GretchO

Since I'm Type 1 my question was mostly academic, I know how to figure out I:C ratios and correction factors for myself. I fully understand that aspect of it, but for me (in my mind, anyway) it seems a lot more straight forward. I use insulin every day, my experiments with it are constant. Since my insulin usage isn't sporadic, I was just wondering about it in the realm of sporadic insulin use...since Type 2s have other factors that I don't have to consider (IR, etc.). I see a helping of mashed potatoes and I pretty much know how much insulin to inject to cover the carbs. But only because I've done it many times before.

"Tweaking" ratios to figure out what works for you makes sense, absolutely, but when you're having a slice of pie today and then 6 months later you have a milkshake, how do you know that what you used for an I:C ratio 6 months ago is going to still work. So, it sounds like you take a conservative amount of insulin based on past experience and aim for a conservative 2 hour postprandial number.

Peggy_TX
Since I'm Type 1 my question was mostly academic, I know how to figure out I:C ratios and correction factors for myself. I fully understand that aspect of it, but for me (in my mind, anyway) it seems a lot more straight forward. I use insulin every day, my experiments with it are constant. Since my insulin usage isn't sporadic, I was just wondering about it in the realm of sporadic insulin use...since Type 2s have other factors that I don't have to consider (IR, etc.). I see a helping of mashed potatoes and I pretty much know how much insulin to inject to cover the carbs. But only because I've done it many times before.

"Tweaking" ratios to figure out what works for you makes sense, absolutely, but when you're having a slice of pie today and then 6 months later you have a milkshake, how do you know that what you used for an I:C ratio 6 months ago is going to still work. So, it sounds like you take a conservative amount of insulin based on past experience and aim for a conservative 2 hour postprandial number.

Ah! Sorry -- I missed the T1 part!! Clearly you were asking out of curiosity, not personal need!

But yes, you get the basic idea.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.