Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beelzebubble

Any possibility that I have LADA?

beelzebubble

Hello all,

I'm new here but was prompted to write after reading a post talking about LADA on this site (from a few years ago). I've been wondering about LADA for myself. It's probably very unlikely, but I'll share my history with you so that you know why I'm wondering.

I was diagnosed with PCOS, which often progresses into type 2 diabetes, at 14.

I've been overweight since the PCOS kicked in at 12.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and have been on thyroid meds since I was in my late teens.

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease at 29.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year at 37.

There's also some suspicion that I might have Lupus.

At diagnosis, my a1c was 8.7 and my fasting BS was 185.

I am mildly questioning my type 2 diagnosis because of the autoimmunity issues that I have. I asked my doctor if it was possible that I had LADA and not type 2 and she kinda...smirked at me and said...not for you, no. (Despite this, she was an awesome dr. though she has since moved on and I am looking for a new doc these last few months.) She wouldn't test me for it. It seems as if my docs are all assuming that I'm type 2 just because I have PCOS and am overweight. But I also have a bunch of autoimmune conditions.

I've managed to lose 50 pounds by following a mostly low carb, always low glycemic, paleo diet for the last year and a half. I'm feeling very frustrated though because my sugars are starting to rise again. I'd gotten them down to around 100 and my a1c was 6.0. My doctor felt that I had such good control that she was okay with me just checking my A1c every couple of months. Recently I've started checking my fasting BS again and it's back into the 130's. My post meals are still normal, but this is disturbing to me. There are just no more carbs to lose... I don't understand how my sugars are rising. I really don't.

Do you think LADA is a possibility or am I just a doomed type 2?

patricia52

I don't have a clue. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. There are others here that are more qualified to answer your question.

beelzebubble

Thanks for the welcome Patricia.

I take metform XR 1000 mg 2x a day

edit: forgot to mention...I also take cinnamon, chromium GTF, gymnema sylvestre, seaweed with naturally occurring iodine, vitamin d, and a few other supplements.

Hooterville

I don't know if you are LADA or not. I think you would need some additional testing to find out. I'll leave that to the T1's and 1.5's of the forum to discuss.

If you are T2 then the reason that your bg is rising could be because T2 is a progressive disease and often does require additional medication or treatment or exercise or all three to control. What works one year may not work the next.

How many carbs do you have per day? What is your exercise routine like? Have you gained weight lately (I saw you lost 50)? Do you have weight you still need to lose?

aggie168
Do you think LADA is a possibility or am I just a doomed type 2?

Hello beelzebubble, ask for two test. C-peptide to tell how your pancreas is doing and GAD-65. GAD-65 is the primary anti-body that T1 or T1.5 will have. Note it is not the only anti-body test but is a good start. That should give your medical team a good view into how your body is doing as A1C and Fasting BG just tell part of the stories. :)

beelzebubble
I don't know if you are LADA or not. I think you would need some additional testing to find out. I'll leave that to the T1's and 1.5's of the forum to discuss.

If you are T2 then the reason that your bg is rising could be because T2 is a progressive disease and often does require additional medication or treatment or exercise or all three to control. What works one year may not work the next.

How many carbs do you have per day? What is your exercise routine like? Have you gained weight lately (I saw you lost 50)? Do you have weight you still need to lose?

i do still have weight to lose. about 18 pounds to get down to a bmi of 25. I'm not gaining, but I have stalled a bit. strangely, I didn't really lose any weight the first year. i started losing only after my endo changed me to armour thyroid. then the weight just started falling off. i mean...really falling off.

my exercise is definitely spotty. i mentioned the possibility of lupus above. i have days where i just feel like total garbage. i can barely get up to clean the house or shower. but, when i feel okay, i do some weight lifting and some alternate walking and running on the treadmill occasionally i'll do yoga. right now i'm probably averaging about 18 miles a week, give or take.

as for the carbs. i don't eat grains, beans, sugar, or any carb heavy veggie with the exception of sweet potato on occasion. i only eat berries and the occasional quarter of an apple. i pretty much only get carbs from my unsweetened almond milk, occasional erythritol, a small amount of fruit, and my veggies. my average carb intake without subtracting fiber would be somewhere around 60g.

Hello beelzebubble, ask for two test. C-peptide to tell how your pancreas is doing and GAD-65. GAD-65 is the primary anti-body that T1 or T1.5 will have. Note it is not the only anti-body test but is a good start. That should give your medical team a good view into how your body is doing as A1C and Fasting BG just tell part of the stories. :)

yeah. the issue i'm having is getting anyone to run the tests at all. i'm completely dismissed.

of course i don't expect anyone to diagnose me. i'm just wondering if you all think that LADA is so unlikely that it's not worth pursuing.

Tribbles

yeah. the issue i'm having is getting anyone to run the tests at all. i'm completely dismissed.

of course i don't expect anyone to diagnose me. i'm just wondering if you all think that LADA is so unlikely that it's not worth pursuing.

You have a slew of auto-immune diseases which makes you a prime candidate. Celiac and Hashimoto's in particular are indicators (my endo keeps testing me for Celiac, I sometimes feel he is unhealthy keen on me having it !) Definitely test for c-peptide to see insulin levels, and GAD65 for auto-immune disease. There are other auto-immune test but GAD65 catches the majority of cases. Also you can have GAD65 antibodies but not have diabetes so the whole picture matters - in your case they would diagnose Type 1 because of the other auto-immune components.

Moonpie

I don't know anything about the LADA or T1, but it certainly does not seem unreasonable to ask your Dr to test you. We are our own best advocates. I also have PCOS but did not get the T2 dx till my mid 50s. Welcome to DF.

Hooterville

If you are t2 you could possibly get some improved control by tightening up those carbs a bit more. I was where you are now, 60 carbs per day. In August I dropped to 30 to 40 per day. The improved control is pretty amazing. My lantus dose has gone from 28 to 22 units. I don't think I'm finished lowering either. Still fasting in the 70s.

In june I switched from met ER/XR to regular met after previously being unsuccessful with regular met. I tolerate max dose regular met now with no problems. It's more effective for me than XR/ER. The switch allowed me to lower lantus from 38 units to 28. Max dose regular met is something to consider if you are t2.

Final thing you may consider if you are T2 is to add a basal once per day long acting insulin to your met.

beelzebubble
If you are t2 you could possibly get some improved control by tightening up those carbs a bit more. I was where you are now, 60 carbs per day. In August I dropped to 30 to 40 per day. The improved control is pretty amazing. My lantus dose has gone from 28 to 22 units. I don't think I'm finished lowering either. Still fasting in the 70s.

In june I switched from met ER/XR to regular met after previously being unsuccessful with regular met. I tolerate max dose regular met now with no problems. It's more effective for me than XR/ER. The switch allowed me to lower lantus from 38 units to 28. Max dose regular met is something to consider if you are t2.

Final thing you may consider if you are T2 is to add a basal once per day long acting insulin to your met.

is that total carbs or carbs minus fiber? i have no idea how to get my carbs down lower than i have them without greatly increasing my fat/protein. currently this is my daily diet, maybe you can help me see where i can tighten my carbs:

i usually have a low carb smoothie consisting of 1 tbsp cream, 1.5 cups 1 carb almond milk, 4-5 strawberries, 1/2 scoop whey protein powder, 1 scoop soy protein powder (both of these are 2 carbs or less per serving), stevia and liquid sucralose to sweeten. sometimes i add cocoa powder for the fiber and antioxidants.

for snack i have a piece of cheese or 1 tbsp of peanut butter with 2 slices of apple or some meat

for dinner i usually have a meat and 2 vegetables or a "pasta" dish made with zucchini or shiratake noodles or meat and veggie soup with shiratake or a stir fry without any rice.

snack at night is usually sugar free jello or hot cocoa made with cocoa powder, 1 cup water, 2 tbsp cream, and liquid sucralose to sweeten. sometimes i'll have sunflower seeds or nuts if i'm actually really hungry.

i try not to "pick". if i do, it's protein or veggies.

this is not everyday, but it's pretty typical. even my "cheats" aren't cheats.

i don't really like meat. is there some other way that i can get my carbs down than by adding even more meat to my diet? do i have to leave my apples, berries and carrots behind completely?

Hooterville
is that total carbs or carbs minus fiber? i have no idea how to get my carbs down lower than i have them without greatly increasing my fat/protein. currently this is my daily diet, maybe you can help me see where i can tighten my carbs:

i usually have a low carb smoothie consisting of 1 tbsp cream, 1.5 cups 1 carb almond milk, 4-5 strawberries, 1/2 scoop whey protein powder, 1 scoop soy protein powder (both of these are 2 carbs or less per serving), stevia and liquid sucralose to sweeten. sometimes i add cocoa powder for the fiber and antioxidants.

for snack i have a piece of cheese or 1 tbsp of peanut butter with 2 slices of apple or some meat

for dinner i usually have a meat and 2 vegetables or a "pasta" dish made with zucchini or shiratake noodles or meat and veggie soup with shiratake or a stir fry without any rice.

snack at night is usually sugar free jello or hot cocoa made with cocoa powder, 1 cup water, 2 tbsp cream, and liquid sucralose to sweeten. sometimes i'll have sunflower seeds or nuts if i'm actually really hungry.

i try not to "pick". if i do, it's protein or veggies.

this is not everyday, but it's pretty typical. even my "cheats" aren't cheats.

i don't really like meat. is there some other way that i can get my carbs down than by adding even more meat to my diet? do i have to leave my apples, berries and carrots behind completely?

Is the smoothie for breakfast? I didn't see lunch.

Anyway, I don't subtract for fiber. I count all carbs in my daily total. I avoid sweet veg such as carrots. I do occasionally have a few shredded carrots on a salad, etc. Probably only a tablespoon for texture.

I quit daytime snacks. I have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Occasionally, on weekends, I'll have a late breakfast and skip lunch entirely. Then I may have a 5 carb snack before bed. I've been trying for a very long time to give up that evening snack. It's hard.

I do have berries but I've cut back on them. Crazy but I count out 4 blackberries for my Greek yogurt in the morning. Today I had 4 blackberries with my 2 low carb, gluten free pumpkin pancakes which are 2 carbs each pancake and delicious! Magic for my BG, really. I was 84 at 2 hour pp after eating them this morning. Crazy! Previous normal would have been 100 plus single digits after breakfast.

The way that you lower your carbs even more is not by adding protein. It's by adding more natural fats such as olive oil, coconut oil, cream, butter, cream cheese, fats from meats, avocados, nuts, peanut butter, etc. I had to bite the bullet and just do it. It's hard when we've been taught that low fat is good. Having plenty of natural fats in your diet brings on a feeling of satiety. You begin to not be hungry for snacks or even feeling able to skip a meal. It's kind of amazing.

There are so many things that used to tempt me at work and at my monthly bunco games. It's not hard to avoid those temptations at all. All week there's been junky Halloween chocolate on the counter 10 feet from my desk. I didn't touch it once. There were freaking donuts (my former love) every day this week. I did not touch. Getting my carbs down just that little bit more and completely eliminating wheat (I see you've eliminated this) and all other grains has given me super human will power. It's crazy. I hate to count my chickens. I hope it lasts and is not a fleeting feeling. Time will tell.

aggie168
yeah. the issue i'm having is getting anyone to run the tests at all. i'm completely dismissed. of course i don't expect anyone to diagnose me. i'm just wondering if you all think that LADA is so unlikely that it's not worth pursuing.

Remember, you are paying for the doctor. So he/she works for you. So insist on the test. If not, change the doctor is one option.

Note, you may have to play the psychology game. Tell them you will sleep better, etc. But do not sound like a know-it-all. Many doctor do not like a "smart" patient. :)

beelzebubble

my smoothie is really a brunch, i guess. i have to take my thyroid meds on an empty stomach and can't eat for at least an hour afterward. i usually end up eating my smoothie around 10. so i have a snack at around 3.

yeah, i've been working on adding more fats. i try not to worry about coconut milk, butter, cream etc...

with removing gluten from my diet 11 years ago, i developed the trick of not thinking of certain foods as food. when i see someone eating bread for instance, it's like watching someone eat cardboard. i can do that now with sugar-y, carb-y things. but, i sure do miss my fruit. i could live happily for the rest of my life without sugar, grains, or beans. but, i just can't seem to get it through my head that i can't eat that pineapple or that melon. i don't eat it, of course. but my body wants it. really really wants it.

those of you that are this carb restricted, do you ever feel totally dismayed and helpless? i'm finding that i'm becoming increasingly afraid to eat anything.

my doctor gave me a lecture about not being so hard on myself. i'd become upset when my a1c crept up .1 points. i'd said, there goes my berries and sweet potatoes, and she was shocked. she said, "that's not the cause, it's something else." i was surprised by her reply.

what's normal to shoot for carb-wise? is my carb intake really high then?

i have not cheated once since i found out about the diabetes. if there's a special occasion, i will factor in the extra carbs and eat accordingly for the rest of the day. being gluten free has given me an insane amount of food discipline, so it's not hard.

Hooterville

Don't get me wrong. 60 carbs per day (not sure if you're subtracting fiber or not) is amazing. It's very disciplined. Think what the general population eats! I was just giving you an option, should you be T2 for getting a handle on your creeping numbers. Trust me, nearly giving up fruit was very hard for me. That's why I still have 4 silly berries! I used to have 1/4 cup. I still have them but I just have a tiny amount. My son grew a watermelon. It made me sad that I couldn't eat it. One night I had one large bite right from the center. You know the very best part of the melon. I am just selective and ration that fruit.

So, I think I gave you three possible options as a T2. Reduce carbs more, change from Met ER/XR to max dose regular Met or add another med/basal insulin. Wait, 4 options, exercise but it sounds like you are doing that.

I am in no way saying that you aren't doing well with your diet. It looks pretty amazing. If interested, you could probably tweak it a bit.

beelzebubble
Don't get me wrong. 60 carbs per day (not sure if you're subtracting fiber or not) is amazing. It's very disciplined. Think what the general population eats! I was just giving you an option, should you be T2 for getting a handle on your creeping numbers. Trust me, nearly giving up fruit was very hard for me. That's why I still have 4 silly berries! I used to have 1/4 cup. I still have them but I just have a tiny amount. My son grew a watermelon. It made me sad that I couldn't eat it. One night I had one large bite right from the center. You know the very best part of the melon. I am just selective and ration that fruit.

So, I think I gave you three possible options as a T2. Reduce carbs more, change from Met ER/XR to max dose regular Met or add another med/basal insulin. Wait, 4 options, exercise but it sounds like you are doing that.

I am in no way saying that you aren't doing well with your diet. It looks pretty amazing. If interested, you could probably tweak it a bit.

totally understood. i, in no way, was trying to make you feel like you needed to explain yourself. i'm honestly just shocked that the weight loss + the carb restriction + exercise + metformin is not enough to equal near normal numbers. especially since my numbers were not insanely awful to begin with. with just 500 mg of metformin last year i was doing about the same as i am now post med increase and 50 pound weight loss. this would be why i'm starting to wonder if i might have something that's spurring this on besides just insulin resistance/PCOS. there's still a very small chance that i have cushing's syndrome, though we've mostly ruled that out at this point.

do you think looking at reducing my calories some more might help, along with tightening up my carb control?

aggie168
i'm honestly just shocked that the weight loss + the carb restriction + exercise + metformin is not enough to equal near normal numbers. especially since my numbers were not insanely awful to begin with.

Somehow, some way, you beg, steal or borrow and get yourself a c-peptide test. That will tell you your insulin production ability by your pancreas. If you are already exercising crazy, restricting your carb intake to a low level (60g is nothing in a day in the grand scheme of things), taking metformin to lower your liver dump and lost tons of weight, etc. Chance are you are not producing much. If that is the case, insulin is your only option as you are replacing what your body is missing. All else is just masking your real issue. No sugar coated. :)

Hooterville
totally understood. i, in no way, was trying to make you feel like you needed to explain yourself. i'm honestly just shocked that the weight loss + the carb restriction + exercise + metformin is not enough to equal near normal numbers. especially since my numbers were not insanely awful to begin with. with just 500 mg of metformin last year i was doing about the same as i am now post med increase and 50 pound weight loss. this would be why i'm starting to wonder if i might have something that's spurring this on besides just insulin resistance/PCOS. there's still a very small chance that i have cushing's syndrome, though we've mostly ruled that out at this point.

do you think looking at reducing my calories some more might help, along with tightening up my carb control?

I never give a thought to calories.

I've lost over 60 pounds since diagnosis two years ago (100 pounds in all over 6 years), went low carb and went from walking 5 to 10 miles per week to walking 40 miles per week and I still need maximum dose metformin and a basal insulin. Sometimes working one's behind off isn't all we think it should be or what we see it doing for others. We're all different. :)

Try to get the tests so you know where you need to go.

Kenton

Dr.s are very resistant to the idea that anyone older than their early 20's could develop anything other than T2.

You have a host of autoimmune diseases, you should consider LADA as a possibility

I started having problems in my late 40's mostly with feeling crappy as all **** if I did not eat and the Dr.s saying my sugar was a bit high so they labeled me prediabetic.

Fast forward a few years and I'm now told I'm a T2 and here's a menu of what to eat and some metformin.

Roll a few more years and now I'm taking 2500 mg of metformin and glimepiride.

A1C's are always over 8+ and climbing so I get the "do you like your feet" lecture.

Now they start me on Lantus and take away the glimepiride, A1C's get worse fast now.

When I ask I am told yes you are a T2 and you need to take this seriously and take care of yourself.

I am beginning to wonder since I am watching what I eat and have become very active and the most I have ever weighed was 190 (I'm 6'1" )

About this time I am noticing something else, I seem to have to eat often or I suffer lows even though my A1C is quite high. ( I am trying to go low carb ) and I'm now down to 172 lbs)

Finally I get fed up and make an appointment with a new Endo and he of course just looks at my age and says yes you are a T2 also.

But after a couple months of not getting better he decides to put me on mealtime insulin and just for giggles and to shut me up runs antibody and a C peptide test along with the A1C.

Shortly after I am told guess what, you are not a T2 you might be LADA but he considers it more like lateblooming T1.

So he drops the metformin which I have always said did not do squat and I slowly adapt to the present.

I've had Graves disease, its autoimmune related and I have Vitaligo all over me which is also autoimmune related.

I've since been diagnosed with a fat metabolism disorder too which makes things interesting.

Luckily I did not have the type they first thought I had and dietary modifications and levocarnitine along with insulin and I'm doing well now.

My last A1C was 5.4 which is a heck of an improvement and I feel better than I have felt in years.

If you continue to not improve and are seriously trying you should ask for the test.

Worse thing that could happen is you spend a bit on the co-pay and get told yep you are a T2.

But if you are not the sooner you start to treat it correctly the better off you will be.

beelzebubble

thank you for all of the replies, guys. i'm really just so confused, upset, frazzled, and exhausted. i've had some sort of large medical problem since i was just a little one. my endocrine system is totally psycho. i began going through puberty when i was five. i have the most severe case of pcos (if that is what it is, i have my doubts) of any pcos patient i've ever met (and i have met a few). my immune system is just as confused. my thyroid disease was not discovered until just after i turned 19, but (thankfully) i have my records from when i went through the pcos testing at 14 and i've been hypothyroid since at least that age. and then there's the celiac (and possible lupus). i could go on and on...about the tumor at age 2, the recurrent and almost deadly kidney infections, the body pain, the skin issues, the sun allergy...yadda yadda yadda.

i keep thinking that at some point my body will sort itself out. i've always tried to eat well and take care of myself. in fact, the person who knows me best would say that i make a herculean effort to care for myself. but my doctors don't believe this, i keep being met with incredulity and disbelief from doctors. surely, they think, she must be eating twinkies and milky ways all day (i don't, they're not gluten free-lol). i get the lectures all the time. it's so frustrating. in the 8 years before i was diagnosed with diabetes, i'd been on a strict homemade, gluten free, partially raw, no sugar diet. it wasn't until the last year before being diagnosed that i started eating sugar in any quantity. all of a sudden i was craving sweets constantly. i thought it was hormonal. i suppose, in a way, it was.

at this point, i really just need some doctor to sit down and explain why, despite my best efforts, my body just wants to self destruct. and to do that without implying that i'm just a slob with no will power. i'm so tired of having to figure everything out on my own (if i wanted to digress, i'd tell you the long story about how "we" (note the intended sarcasm) figured out that i had celiac disease, or thyroid disease) if he or she could help me fix myself, i'd appreciate that also. but mostly...i just want to understand what's happening to me. no one can seem to give me any answers. i thought i'd finally found a doc who would work well with me, and then she promptly left private practice and i have to find a new one. grrrr...

something has to be behind all of this. unless i'm just super genetically unlucky.

and you guys are right. my doctor does work for me. i need to try to remember that instead of thinking of her/him as the wizard of oz. don't get me wrong, they deserve respect. but you know what? so do i. if they don't believe that, i'd happily swap places with them so that they can see what it feels like to:

not be able to have children

have horrible blood sugar issues despite a well controlled diet

go through puberty at 5 and miss being a kid

pack on 65 pounds and gain unfortunate inappropriate hair growth in the seventh grade and miss most of the fun during my teen years (not to mention being subjected to daily ridicule and hate)

have my eybrows and half of my hair fall out at 18 and put back on all of the weight i'd managed to starve off of myself in my teens when my thyroid finally went kaputsky

develop hundreds of stretch marks all over at 19 because of my endocrine issues

i don't think i even need to go beyond age 20. if they could still look at me with blame in their eyes after that (and often on their lips), then maybe it really is me.

wow, sorry, i don't even know where that came from. i just started typing and it just kept coming out. talk about purging :)

i bet a lot of you can relate to what i've written. and i believe i will request the testing for LADA. it's a long shot, but it's better to know for sure so that i can get the proper treatment.

beelzebubble

a few weeks ago, I had to have a glucagon stimulation test done. this was the first day that i'd used my meter and tested my fasting blood sugar in about a year. i knew they'd be doing fasting blood work and i wanted to see where i was at before i went in. that's the first day that i got my first 136 fasting number. i thought it was because i hadn't been testing and had backslid in my diet, which is why i began testing again and looking at any way carbs might be slipping in. my fasting numbers kept staying around there despite any dietary modification i was doing. in fact, most of my numbers were staying around there.

i just got my labs back the day after i posted this rant. what was their fasting number for me? not in the 130's, but 103 (not ideal, but still much much better). at first, i thought that it was just because it was done 20 minutes later, but then i looked at my bs log over the past 3 weeks and noticed very little wiggle in the numbers at all. on a hunch, i bought a new meter and tested them side by side yesterday and today. and guess what?

it was my meter! side by side results using blood from the same wound, yesterday and today...old meter 141, new meter 101, old meter 134, new meter 99.

omg. i'm so freaking relieved. i'm going to continue the side by side for a while to make sure that there's a discrepancy (until i run out of strips anyway). maybe i'll even see if my husband will let me test him. he's not diabetic.

i believe i will still push to get the lada testing done, just to make sure. i have enough autoimmune conditions that it's a possibility. thank you all for listening to my psychotic rantings. sometimes i get kinda down about all of this.

take care all.

smartblnde

For some people, it is possible to order and pay, out of pocket, for lab tests. If you look on "online lab tests," or something similar, you can order the GAD and C-Peptide. C-Peptide is a precursor to insulin. GAD, as someone said, is indicative of antibodies to the beta cells that make insulin.

We have some locations here, in Northern Kentucky, where you can get 'any labtest, anytime.' That may be a source to get the test.

Next, if your sugars to up and you are thirsty, a ketone test of your urine may be SOME help. T2s usually don't spill ketones. Usually don't.

PCOS is associated with T2. The others with 1...

Finally, if you cut all carbs from your diet, your liver will release some stored glucose and send your numbers up. I would recommend having SOME carbs. Look up 'hepatic neoglucogenesis.' Means liver new glucose making, literally.

Hope this gives you some more leads.

smartblnde

OH, not a prob. Even 'veteran' DMs get frustrated and freaked out about stuff. I have been all day, and thought I knew what I was doing. sigh. Welcome to the club we don't want to belong to.

I LOVE this site!

Arrgy

Hi B,

How many of these 5 indicators do you check? Did you notice memory loss with Metformin?

Johns Hopkins: Diabetes on type 2 diabetes|LADA: Special Reports

I'm text book LADA. Complete with stiff man syndrome and my last 3 doctors failed me miserably. It started with a young doctor taking me off insulin and prescribing Glyburide. I begged him no to because 6 meds failed to control my BG. I was diagnosed with T2 at 42. By age 54, I was put on insulin when Byetta quit working. I ate soup for 4 days on the Glyburide test and lost 8lbs. My average BG was 250 to 350. This told me that my pancreas was only able to produce about 5% of the insulin needed. My beta cells are nearly all gone. My doctor acted like I was lying when I produced the log he failed to ask me to keep, represcribed insulin and kept me as a T2. I sought a 2nd with an Endo. The Endo clearly covered up for the 1st doctor. His written brief of our visit butchered the glyburide test results, saying they averaged 150 to 250 WITH Levemir! I didn't say or take Levemir with the test. I showed a Humulog injection on day 4 to end the test. He wrote that I had no family history of diabetes after I told him my Gramma had T1, Mom was hypoglycemic, Sis gestational and uncle T2!!! My 3rd doctor was mainly concerned why I tested 3 to 4 times a day. Indicating that he was still viewing my condition as T2.

Something is very wrong with the new AMA doctors. They shy from going into anything that isn't in the blood tests and don't seem to be up to par on new diabetes findings.

Auto antibody tests should be for ...

From actionLADA...

Unfortunately, Professor Leslie cannot comment as it is unprofessional to comment on individual cases.

However, he did say that data suggests that some patients can have IA-2 or ZnT8 autoantibodies (unpublished) and potentially T cell changes without

GADA so the lack of GADA may not be definitive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.