Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wa87

Genstational Diabetes just diagnosed.... so depressed

wa87

I was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My 2nd hr reading was way off but fasting, 1st hr and 3rd hr were good. I met with the diabetes mgmt rn to learn how to eat better. My glucose has been good even when I ate wendys for dinner. I'm so depressed because I feel like I have done something wrong and I am ashamed of myself. I am so depressed knowing that I am pretty much guaranteed to get diabetes later. So depressed. My first pregnancy I had it. They just told me, never checked my blood, never taught me how to eat, basically told me and that was the end of that. My second pregnancy I did not. Now my third, I have been diagnosed at 21 weeks. They rn acted like I will be guaranteed to have it later in life.... How soon? Do I have to watch what I eat every meal for the rest of my life or can I have a bad day? I'm so upset.

Azurah

Don't be so upset! I do understand where you are coming from though. Although your risk of developing diabetes later in life is higher, I don't think it's 100%. I had GD when pregnant with my son and developed type 2 almost 10 years later. My best friend had a similar experience. Yet I've heard of women not getting it for several years longer than that and in others it's earlier. You can't predict it, but you can start watching what you're eating and cutting down a bit on carbs. Of course you can have a bad day here and there. Just be sure your doctors continue to check your glucose yearly after you give birth. Mine unfortunately didn't, but I seem to have caught my diagnosis earlier enough where it's still easy to control.

Keep your glucometer and some strips around after you give birth. Test after meals every now and then to see how your meals affect your bg. I didn't do that, but wish I had.

Also, don't feel ashamed. You didn't do something wrong, it just happens. Some of us are just unlucky or are genetically prone. Not sure how I rolled this dice since my mom did not have GD and I was always thin, but it happened and that meant I had to deal with it which included taking insulin during my pregnancy. I weighed around 85-90lbs until the last 3 months of my pregnancy.

wa87

I appreciate your advice and willingness to share your story. One thing that I am worried about is when people say "complications that go along with diabetes". I am not sure what they even mean by that. But, is it really that horrible to live with diabetes? I did Atkins for a long time and now that I am sort of doing that again, it doesn't seem that bad.

One thing that concerns me, I had one glucose reading of 147. My OB perscribed me glyBURIDE 1.25MG once a day for that one bad reading. I really do not want to take it because I feel like I can control it with diet and exercise. Will taking this make my body rely on this drug even after pregnancy and essentially push me into full blown diabetes?I am worried about my pancreas relying too much on it and not doing anything after pregnancy.

Azurah

When you hear of complications of diabetes, it means organ damage from high blood glucose levels. I've heard that damage can start at bg levels of 140. It can affect your nerves, blood vessels, eyes, kidneys, and immune function. Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to blindness, amputations, life-threatening infections, and kidney failure.

Diabetics are at higher risk of strokes and heart disease as well.

Glyburide stimulates the pancreas to make more insulin. BUT...it's not really your pancreas that's your problem in the first place (unless you are a type 1/LADA). The pregnancy hormones make you resistant to insulin, so essentially the glyburide makes your pancreas work harder to make more insulin. Some people feel that sulfonylureas (like glyburide) can burn out the beta cells in the pancreas, but it may not be a concern since you're on it short term. I would think insulin injections would be a better choice because the result is the same (more insulin), but you're just injecting it rather than making the beta cells work harder. That is purely my own opinion and I'm sure there may be a reason the doctor decided on the glyburide versus insulin. So it's not like your pancreas is going to rely on the drug and get lazy.

If your beta cells start to die off, then you get insulin deficient as well as insulin resistant.

wa87

I did read up on the beta cells burning out. This is a concern of mine now. My doctor wanted me to start the meds tomorrow but, I may wait until monday so, I can talk to her. Is this type of pill something that I will have to have the mg increased until delivery. I am 21 weeks now. So, at the most I have 19 weeks to go (yeah a long time! lol). To me, I do not think my glucose has been that off for meds. I started checking on Saturday and met with diabetic rn on wednesday. Before wednesday, I was getting all of my info online for what I needed to be doing. After meeting with her, I feel I can have a better control of what I need to be doing.

Saturday: 114 2 hrs after breakfast, 126 2 hours after dinner

Sunday: fasting 81, 101 3 hours after dinner (almost forgot)

monday: 123 2 hrs after breakfast, 127 2 hours after dinner

tuesday: 142 2 hours after lunch, 97 2 hours after dinner ( met with diabetic rn the next day and she said if i would have gone for walk, it would have brought my 147 reading to a normal level)

wednesday: 97 2 hours after brkfst, 89 2 hours after dinner

thursday: 88 fasting, 98 2 hours after dinner

friday: 89 fasting, 117 2 hours after dinner

wa87

I also had another question. I know this is horrible but, before all of this happened, I was eating a couple snacks a day and one meal. They told me to eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and snack before bed. This is a lot of food for me! I do not even want to think about eating. I feel nauseas at every meal and snack now except for breakfast. Does this seem right? I think I will gain a ton of wieght really fast and make matters worse. I meet with the dietician on Monday so hopefully that helps out a lot.

Azurah

I would see what your dietician says. I had horrible morning sickness for the first 5 months and it lasted all day and night so I can sympathize with the nausea. They probably want you eating regularly to keep your blood sugar stable and the fact that you need more calories during pregnancy. I know it seems like too much food when you have nausea, but it's important that you are eating enough. I gained all of my 25lbs mostly in the last three months of my pregnancy when I could finally keep food down.

Definitely ask them any questions about the meds and dosage and what your goals should be as far as your readings. With your numbers, it looks like you're on the right track though!

Chelle D

Don't be so upset.

It's just your body saying that your pancrease has a limit. You CAN go back to normal after pregnancies.

I was "normal" the day after I delivered.

They told me, if I kept the weight off... I could keep diabetes away until probably my 60's. I probably could have too.

But, I let my body gain back all the baby weight + more.

I'm so far into my diabetic complications... If I lost all my extra weight now.. I would still probably need metformin. But, I might be able to get off of all my insulin.

That would be a great goal.

However, believe it when they say that If you control things,, that you can "stave off" having full fledged diabetes until much much later in life.

Chelle D

Oh.. and the

Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, snack.... Is all so that your bloodsugar can stablize itself throughout the day.

They don't want you eating large breakfast, having really high number... then waiting all day for bloodsugar to drop down, and eating larger supper.. etc.

The breakfast, lunch & supper are modified... Not large meals. THen the snacks are light. For me, my favorite morning snack when I was pregnant was half an apple. (I bought large ones). If it was a small apple, then a whole one.

I also liked the 1/4 cup raisins, 'cuz that was easy to take with me when busy running errands all over town.

So you can see, 1/4 cup raisins is not a large snack.

Before I knew I was gestional diabetes, I would have had a "snack" like a bowl of 3 scoops of icecream with nuts & syrup. (way way wrong). Shoot, those early pregnancy "snacks" i had where like three times the amount of carbs I had for a regular meal.. After I got the meal planning book from dietician.

wa87

I think I am starting to settle into all of this. After my son 7 yrs ago, I was fine again. I hope that's the case now. I have had anxiety my whole life. I was medicated on celexa up until 2 yrs ago. My mom was dx with small cell lung cancer a year ago. I knew I might be getting preg so I held off on anxiety meds. She was given a year in January. We are coming up on a year and things are not going well. The in-laws have go.e completely nuts and are calling me with their marital problems all of the time when I told them it wasn't a good idea to get married (second marriage for all wrong reasons). So I thought I was stressed to the max last week. Then all of this hit and they are scaring me to death while saying don't stress bc it make GD worse. I am literally a bubble of stress right now and this has added to it. I just really hope after delivering I get to a healthy weight, maintain it and get rid of GD. Even with everything else that was going on before GD I tried to be my happiest and not worry about much. That's huge for me bc I find things to worry about normally. That's pretty good for what I was facing before the GD. My mom keeps saying "it can always get worse". For some reason that us helping me get through everything that's hit over the past month and a half.

wa87

It is important to eat carbs at both meals and snacks? I think of a snack as 9 saltines with a lil peanut butter or 9 saltines with a string cheese. The snacks are small and I always feel way to full. I think that's the only thing I like about this diet. I don't gave it pwrefected yet since I meet with the dietician in 2 days. I think this may be something I can manage Most of the time after delivery as well.

Chelle D

Oh.. I feel for you hun!.. I am SUCH a worrier. That's ..what you typed,,, is a whole lot to worry about. Take it just a little at a time. (if you Can) I know, I know. that's much easier to say than to do.

But, realize in your heart, that it is all of it coming on together at once that is so stressful. If you had no other worries in your life, you'd be able to digest the thought of GD.. that it might mean diabetes later in life. Take a deep breath & know.. you'll be fine. Your baby will be fine. You will take care of your body best you can while carrying the child.

From my understanding. the GD goes away immediately. I didn't need insulin shots the day after my son was born. In fact, I didn't need the fast acting insulin shots (to cover my meals) until just this year (19 years later).

I had about 4 years after delivered, until they told me I had diabetes. It could have been 20 or 30 years later, IF I had listened to the doctors.

I initially lost my 25lb baby weight... But I gained about 15-20 of it back in the first year. Then slowly 5 lbs a year after. If I had kept off the baby weight, things would have been fine. I might have "just now" been starting with some pre-diabetes or diabetes. (my kid is 19 now.)

I hope that things with your mother are peaceful now. Its frustrating knowing that no matter what you do, she will continue to feel worse and decline. I pray for peace & understanding for you all. As far as those pesky in-laws.. well... Think of it this way.. You've voiced your opinion about it not being a good idea for them to get married right now. Repeat it once, then say "I've said my take on it. If you decide to continue to hash this out between you two.. then do it.Great, wonderful if you work it out. But I cannot be a sympathetic ear to you right now. Sorry. Call me when you have good news to tell." Then ignore their calls for a little bit. If it's great news, then they will leave a message, or a text, or an email. otherwise, ignore them. They have other people that they can rely upon for emotional support. It does NOT need to be you. In fact it SHOULDN"T be you right now. (AT least in my opinion),

Sorry, this is so long. Just hoping that you can release your stress somewhat & not really worry right now about getting diabetes later in life. Smile :) it will help your baby. Every time you smile, think of it as a "health point" for your little bundle. Give her/him as many points as possible!

Chelle D
It is important to eat carbs at both meals and snacks? I think of a snack as 9 saltines with a lil peanut butter or 9 saltines with a string cheese. The snacks are small and I always feel way to full. I think that's the only thing I like about this diet. I don't gave it pwrefected yet since I meet with the dietician in 2 days. I think this may be something I can manage Most of the time after delivery as well.

THose are perfect snacks. Small amount of carbs with the snacks. no, they don't need to be carb only (like my fav was.)

Hooterville

I had gestational D 22 years ago. I do not know what the current info is out there as far as treatment and the diet needs of a pregnant woman but I did want to mention that, all those years ago, my OB referred me to an endocrinologist to manage my gestational D. I was able to control it with diet only but it was my understanding (then) that, when pregnant, oral meds can't be taken and one needs to go on insulin (not the end of the world) if diet alone does not do the trick. Did I understand you correctly? Your OB is wanting to put you on Gliburide? I share Azurah's opinion on Gliburide.

By the way, I had twins with that pregnancy and they are healthy 21 year old young young men now. :) Oh, and I cried for hours when I came home with all my testing supplies. Yes, I have T2 now but it's not the end of the world. :)

wa87

Every yezr we have health assesments through my husband's work. So, I had the idea to go threw my old results. My 2010 glucose was 72 fasting for 12 hours. In 2011, I was 23 lbs heavier just coming off Atkins from the previous year and my glucose was 81. Does this tell me anything at all? Does it tell me that this will go away after pregnancy or that I won't get it in a few years or maybe nothing at all? This whole expirience has made me think twice about having a fourth!

Azurah

Honestly, fasting #s don't tell you much at all. You can have diabetes for years before fasting #s go up. It's not constant either, it changes day to day. My fasting #s are usually in the 80s, around the same as a non-diabetic. Your fasting # really doesn't tell you anything about whether you'll get diabetes after your pregnancy. Those with higher fasting #s (like in the 100+ range) have usually had diabetes for quite some time. It's often the last # to go up.

Gestational diabetes should be gone as soon as you give birth. As for delaying/preventing type 2, try to stay active and limit carbs after your pregnancy. I saw that Chelle mentions she feels that if she didn't gain weight, maybe she could've staved diabetes off for longer. In my experience, I didn't gain much weight after having my son and I'm still thin, but it still happened. The only thing I could've done differently that might've made a difference would've been to be more active and eat less carbs. My weight was never a problem.

Chelle D

I would also have concerns about taking glyburide with pregnancy.

Maybe the info has changed since 19 years ago.. but I was told could not take the pills that stimulate the pancrease, becuase it will cross the pacenta & stimulate the baby's pancrease too.... (Or worse, interfere with it in it's developmental stages)..

Insulin does NOT cross to the placenta blood supply. I would seriously ask you OBGYN about the glyburide again. Specifically ask if there is any chance that it would cross to to baby's blood supply?

Azurah
I would also have concerns about taking glyburide with pregnancy.

Maybe the info has changed since 19 years ago.. but I was told could not take the pills that stimulate the pancrease, becuase it will cross the pacenta & stimulate the baby's pancrease too.... (Or worse, interfere with it in it's developmental stages)..

Insulin does NOT cross to the placenta blood supply. I would seriously ask you OBGYN about the glyburide again. Specifically ask if there is any chance that it would cross to to baby's blood supply?

I second this! I also remember being told that my only option was insulin because they did not like to use oral diabetes medications during pregnancy. Again, this was 10 years ago so perhaps things have changed, but it does sound odd.

wa87

I'm meeting with the dietician today so, I will definitely let you know how that goes. I seem to get a grip like its not the end of the world then lose it again. Ugh, I really just need to accept it but appointment after appointment for this gives me new questions.

I am a little confused on how you check to see if you are diabetic. You said fasting isn't a good way. So, if I were to check my husband's, would I just do it 1 time 2 hours after a regular meal? Would I do it several times? Wouldn't his numbers fluctuate off what he ate?

Okay another question..... My kids are obviously at risk in the future. The rn told me get them on the same diet. They are healthy, VERY active kids. Should they be on the same diet? I am teaching them to eat healthy but i also want them to be allowed to have McDonalds once in a while, or candy or cookies. But how much? Once every few days. It seems like they get cupcakes and candy ay school often. I dont want to freak out and be that mom if they have something "unhealthy". I am just questioning everything I am doing now. My mom thinks I am overreacting but, having GD this time around they are making a huge deal about it. Last time with a different Dr, he was elderly and may not have been up on stuff. He didn't seem to care about my toxemia either. So who knows? My mom thinks they saw how good my insurance is this time and scheduled anything they could. That could be too. I don't know. All I know is after dinner yesterday my # was 100 and fasting was 85 so I really don't feel like I need meds. I will follow this diet religiously. It's not that bad, esp after doing Atkins in 2010. That was annoying and much more limiting.

Azurah

Why would you check your husbands bg? Does he have diabetes? The content of our meals has a big effect on bg and usually after meal numbers are the ones affected in early diabetes. So it would make sense to check after meal numbers, perhaps 1 an 2 hours after meals. 1 hour is where some people see the biggest spike and 2 hours is when your bg should be getting back to pre-meal bg. Even a non-diabetic may have a little spike in bg around 1 hour, but they tend to almost always be back to normal at 2 hours and there bg don't usually go over 200. So yes, his numbers would fluctuate, everyone's does, but in diabetics the fluctuations are more dramatic and we spike much higher. For example, right after I was newly diagnosed, I was visiting and staying with a friend. The only breakfast food available was rice krispies. She and I both had a bowl, but she added sugar to hers. I asked if I could test her bg to compare to mine out of curiosity. It was awhile ago so I don't remember the exact numbers, but I tested us around 45min to 1hr after eating and her bg was around 102 and mine was around 182. :(

I recommend you google blood sugar 101 and check out that website. It is very educational and would probably answer many of your questions!

Chelle D

That is a good test at home .. for seeing if you have diabetic symptoms.

Have a normal sized, healthy meal, Check bs at 1 hr , 2 hr & 3 hrs. I'm thinking the 2 hrs is commonly highest, but should not go over 200 if you are non-diabetic (ie, your body processes your sugars/carbs normally). The 3rd hour should DEFINETLY be lower than 2 hr.

Of course, that is understanding that you don't "eat more" & snack.. before you take the 2 & 3 hr tests.

I really think the dietician can help you. Good healthy meal planning is pretty easy after you get used to the diet exchange sizes again.

I personally don't do the low carb thing. I hate what Atkins has done to my family members who try it.

Every one of them that try or tried it , are fatter after they get off of it.

One sis-in-law, keeps going back on it to "lose the weight again". every time, she has to be on it longer & she loses the fat slower. Then she gets bigger when she gets off it. (Even if she tries to slowly wean off Atkins).

I will do the ADA 1500 cal meal planning or the weight watchers points, before I do the no carb thing. But, that is just my choice. Definetly not a common choice here.

wa87

The dietician did help a lot. Very happy with the help I received. I completely agree about Atkins! It did it to me too. So discouraging. I did like weight watchers but, I wasn't that into losing wieght. No motivation. I went to the meetings and all. This will probably work for me tho.

wa87

I am really struggling to cope. My fasting #s were 99 and 101 the past two mornings. I took it an hour later than normal both days. I usually take it at 8 am on the dot and eat breakfast by 8:20am. I didn't eat until 930 both days. Not sure if this can affect it

I just feel like if I'm diagnosed with type 2 afterwards, how do I cope? Will it completely consume my whole life like it is now? How fast does it progress to the point that I need insulin after every meal? Days, weeks,a year, 10 years?

I'm 22 weeks. We wanted one more kid but I think I would have GD the next time too so, I think its best to stop while I'm ahead. I'm just so sad about this and can't wait for it to be done.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.