Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amjon

How high is too high?

amjon

The MFM I went to has me doing readings 4X a day. My fasting was 102 this morning, which I know is kind of high, but not horrible. She has me doing 1 hour after each meal also. The one today was 176. How high is that? Should I be doing something immediately or can it wait a few days until they are open again on Monday? I'll avoid all sugar/ simple carbs for now if nothing else. I have already lost 3 pregnancies from just after implant to 27 weeks and I'm 8 1/2 weeks pregnant with twins now.

Joisey

An FBG of 102 for a diabetic is great. It might be a little high for a non-diabetic, but still within normal limits (80 to 120).

An FBG of 176 is diabetic (nothing pre- about that one). If that was a one hour post- prandial reading it is somewhat high (try to keep these under 140). If the 176 was a one hour post postprandial then you should check again at two hours. If still over 140 I would stop eating whatever it is you ate. Try to keep postprandial readings under 140. At first as you begin the eat-to-my-meter approach, you will probably need more than 4 tests per day. As you discover what various meals do to your BG levels, that number will come down.

amjon

My meal tonight was 168. I'll check it in another hour. Should I call the emergency number for the MFM that told me to call if it's over 135 or wait til Monday when they open?

Bountyman
Should I call the emergency number for the MFM that told me to call if it's over 135 or wait til Monday when they open?

I'd call them, since they asked. What they can do about it is debatable.

Chelle D

You could call... Most likely, you would just get one of those after hour nurse answering services. But if so, at least you could ask them if its okay.

My guess would be that you are fine. Keep logging your numbers (they times they told you to test) so they can decide if you need meds to adjust the numbers.

amjon

I called and was told to wait until Monday unless they get over 200, then go to ER. I've really watched and had almost no carbs to day and got a range of 84-109, but I've been practically starving all day. I'm going to try real food again tomorrow and see if it's as high as it was. I was a bit ill on Friday, so I wonder if that gave me such high numbers.

amjon

I repeated the cheese/ bit of juice today to see if the high reading from Friday were a fluke, since yesterdays were pretty low and I had 190, so I'll stick with the no carbs until I get in to be put on insulin. :(

amjon
Sounds like you know what to do. There are plenty of low carb food you can eat. You do not have to be hungry.
The problem is I can eat the low carb food ALL day and STILL be hungry. They just don't do anything at all for my hunger. I was still hungry when I left dinner tonight and I had plenty to eat. If I had a piece of bread I would have been fine, but then my BS won't have been 95. :(

patricia52

They tell me the hunger goes away if you continue to eat low carb. May be the pregnancy increasing your appetite.

davepc
The problem is I can eat the low carb food ALL day and STILL be hungry. They just don't do anything at all for my hunger. I was still hungry when I left dinner tonight and I had plenty to eat. If I had a piece of bread I would have been fine, but then my BS won't have been 95. :(

That's the peaks and valleys of your blood glucose/insulin response doing their thing. Make a dedication to eating low carb and sticking with it and the hunger will subside as your blood sugar readings stop roller coasting and even out.

amjon

I faxed my logs over and she's switching me to insulin twice a day. They're also sending me to the diabetes educator either tomorrow (if they can get me in) or next Tuesday. The MFM is really good about calling back and even called to tell me some of my blood test results came back normal today.

amjon
They tell me the hunger goes away if you continue to eat low carb. May be the pregnancy increasing your appetite.

I tried it 2 weeks last time I tried the Atkins diet and it never went away. I finally gave up and ate a cookie. I don't really think it will go away.

Tryska

If you reduce carbs, you have to increase fats. That's the only way to not be hungry.

Choose Avocados, eggs, heavy cream, cheese, cottage cheese, butter, coconut oil, bacon - steak, fish chicken (quality protein). You have to eat enough energy providing fats to replace the energy-providing (and blood sugar-spiking) carbs.

Juice is never good to avoid blood sugar spikes (nor are cookies really) - eat the whole fruit so you get the fiber.

MalteseMom
I tried it 2 weeks last time I tried the Atkins diet and it never went away. I finally gave up and ate a cookie. I don't really think it will go away.

When I first came to this site I already knew I had to cut the carbs and I struggled for two weeks because I was so hungry then someone on this site (javagurrl? GA?) suggested I wasn't eating enough fat and told me to research LCHF. I did and the rest is history as they say. Since Sept 30 I've lost 18 lbs and not struggled at all with hunger. It does require some mental effort to think about your meal plans, but so worth it. I do know I would not have come this far on what I thought I knew.

rubidoux
I am a t1, but I need to ask, is 102 high for t2, it's perfect for me

Hi, John! I consider 102 to be perfect also. For a type II (correct me if I'm wrong you guys), the morning number tends to be the lowest of the day, so they really concentrate on that number and use it more than we do to gauge how they're doing in general. A healthy non-diabetic would probably have a waking blood sugar of 70-80 or so, so if you're trying to have as "normal" a blood sugar profile as possible, 102 is a little high. And the person that started this thread was pregnant, and let me tell you, that can make you very uptight if you're diabetic! It might be that some other time, if she weren't pregnant, she would have been pleased with the 102.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.