Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amjon

Glucose Monitor and Too Small Sample

amjon

Does anyone else have an issue getting a large enough blood sample from your finger for the monitor? I've had to use 2-3 strips for each of my readings and repoke myself because the sample is just not adequate. I have the lancet set on the deepest setting, so that's not the issue (plus I'm on aspirin twice a day and Lovenox). My insurance only covered 100 strips for a month for 4X a day, so I'll end up having to buy some unless I can do something about it. :(

Moonpie

try calling customer service. when I have problems gettign a reading with one strip only, then I call & complain. Abbot is very good at sending out replacements. Also, make sure you have enough blood ready to test before you insert the strip all the way into the meter. Sometimes I will poke myself 3 times before I am ready to put the strip all the way in.

amjon

I think I'm just not good enough at estimating how much will be enough yet. I should be bleeding more than I am though (plus I'm using my pinky which I've been told should bleed the most).

Moonpie

well, if in doubt, have a back up blood spot available. It's easier to prick twice & get enough blood, rather than loose strips, which are expensive. Also ask your Dr about alternate site testing, I use my forearm, & it gives me a good size drop.

patricia52

Wash your hands in warm water just before testing. It makes it easier to get blood. Also I find that my ring fingers are better for getting blood.

Chelle D

I have that problem with One Touch sometimes.

I do prick more on sides of fingers, but I've found if I don't get a good enough bleeder.. , then if I prick a little closer to the pad center, It bleeds a little better.

Oh, and Moonpie - Can I ask, do you have a special lancing device for forearm?? I've tried with my normal lance pen & I can barely get a visible drop, much less large enough for the one touch meters.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.