Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaurenJ

34 Week Update! Having a Big Baby! Need Advice Please

LaurenJ

Hi ladies! Today is the 1st OB visit that baby is measuring quite large. 6 lbs at 34 weeks according to ultrasound. (Wondering if they can be off on size?) I'm assuming this is because of the diabetes. :( My OB says that a baby larger than 9 lbs will have to be delivered by c-section because I'm diabetic. He said non-diabetic - c-section past 10 lbs. Wondering why the difference? He said that if I'm hoping to make it to term (40 wks) c-section is most likely what I'm looking at. He said to give me a chance at a vaginal delivery we may be able to look at inducing early. I would much rather be induced early for various reasons. He said next visit they will begin to check my cervix. Do any of you have any advice for me or been through a similar situation? Thanks!

Hooterville

I had a full term 10 lb 8 oz baby following a c-section with twins. We knew he was big. We did not know he was THAT big. All went well for me and my baby but I'll just say good luck to you.

I was diagnosed pre D with my twins not with the 2nd pregnancy. Obviously there was some D going on though.

-Lee-B

The measurement is more or less guesswork. There is typically considered a one pound more or less error in size. It could be bang on, or baby could be smaller or bigger by up to a pound.

Lizzie G

i agree re the size. i also think theres a slightly sensationalist tendency amongst the medics to see a diabetic mother and make these kind of assumptions with very little basis. my scans between 26 and 34 weeks or whenever it is suggested a normal size but then because i was big, they kept bleeting on about how he would be bigger. he was 7 pounds 8 oz.

on the subject of delivery, having had a hideous induction (remember afterall, this is forcing your baby out before he or she is ready to come) and as a result 15 months later I am still too traumatised to have s**, and am seeing a colorectal surgeon to fix the damage. an induction is NOT a natural birth in any way, it is simply a long drawn out medical procedure with limited anaesthesia. i wasnt able to walk properly for MONTHS, and was in incredible pain and discomfort, you cant even argue the recovery is quicker than a c section as that is often not true. given the choice, PLEASE opt for a section and spare yourself what is usually a dreadful, and often unsuccessful 'natural' birth, especially for diabetics.

Kathryn10

I agree that the measurements are somewhat guesswork and wonder myself why they have different standards for diabetics vs. non-diabetics when it comes to weight and c-section. I know my daughter weighed a little more than normal when I went in for the last ultrasound. They scheduled me for an induction 4-5 days before my due date. I know everyone here has different opinions and experiences based on the circumstances and medical staff present during their children's births, so you're going to hear all sides of it. I really didn't want a c-section because it is so unnatural and not the way a baby is supposed to be born. So many c-sections are unnecessary and from what I've heard doctors get paid more to perform them as opposed to vaginal deliveries. I think it all depends on your individual situation and circumstances. Sometimes c-sections and inductions are necessary. The doctors scared me into being induced because they said that my placenta could deteriorate and harm or kill my baby. I'm not sure what I'd do the next time around. My induction went very well though. My daughter was 8lbs. 12oz. at birth.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.