Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rsheril2

what exactly is a type 1.5 diabetic.

Cormac_Doyle

Type 1.5 is often described as a form of T1 (auto-immune) which occurs SLOWLY.

Typically with T1, the rate of damage to the pancreas's ability to produce insulin is very fast (sometimes measured in days or weeks).

However, for some people, this damage ocurs slowly, not quickly. This often leads them tpo be mis-diagnosed as T2, and put on medications that will put further stress on the pancreas ... aggravating the damage being done to the pancreas and thus causing the illness to progress more quickly, even if during this process, the medications APPEAR to work (sulfa drugs, for example, will make the pancreas produce more insulin, but since the pancreas is slowly dying, the use of sulfa drugs to increase insulin production might briefly bring the numbers back to normal, but at the expense of the remaining insulin production capacity).

It is very important to get this diagnosis and start on insulin (MDI or Pump) to reduce the burden on your pancreas ... if this is done soon enough, it may actually be possible to preserve the remaining pancreatic functioning for a considerable length of time.

Note that many T1's also see this short-term preservation/recovery of pancreatic function (in T1 it is often referred to as the "honeymoon period", but due to the fact that their autoimmune reaction is more aggressive it rarely lasts for more than a couple of months. In T1.5, it could last for years if handled properly.

Gigem99

I'm not fond of the term "type 1.5". For what Cormac is describing, LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults) is a better description.

I am a classic LADA - slow-onset as an adult. Type 1.5 implies traits of type 1 and type 2 together. That is certainly not accurate in my case (and many other LADA's I know). Type 2 is characterized by insulin resistance, of which most LADA's do not have. A better descriptor for when a person shows traits of both type 1 and type 2 is "double diabetes". I wish the term 'type 1.5' would just go away.

Kenton

True, however most of us first get diagnosed as type 2 and as described at first the drugs designed to wring the last drop of insulin out of your pancreas do work.

Then slowly your levels rise and maybe you try to compensate by lowering carbs or exercising more or maybe doing both.

In my case I started getting lectures because my A1C was much higher than the Dr. wanted so obviously I was not taking it seriously.

Because I read though lots of postings on this site I knew enough to ask for testing when the Dr. decided that I needed to go on insulin.

LADA is a better term as I do not have any Type 2 features, my pancreas just stopped working.

But it's the term this site chooses for us so it's what I am as I'm not type 1 since that comes on in a rush.

aggie168

Yes, I feel the same confusion all the time. Then add, what my doctor's office wants to call me. Then add what the insurance company want to label things. Then I was at the hospital urgent care one time and they want to label me with what I was diagnose 10+ years ago. I just give up. I even remove my type on my profile here at DF... :)

StringCheese

Type 1.5 also can refer to MODY maturity onset diabetes of the young (a stupid name really) but its a set of genetic types of diabetes which often get diagnosed in the teens-early thirties (or very often misdiagnosed as either type 1 or type 2). I agree type 1.5 is a muddled term. The problem is that science hasn't figured out all of the factors genetic/environmental etc which are involved to create all the types of diabetes. It's likely that there are many types from the classically defined type 1 and 2 to any range between the two and even some which are involved in other diseases such as kidney problems and even neurological problems. Moreover there are likely many different genetic and environmental causes of type 1, type 2 and all the others. So really any of these classifications are just approximate labels. In short LADA is really like type 1 in that the lack of insulin is the problem and is thought to be the result of an autoimmune attack on the pancreas, MODY is mostly like type 1 as well but has a genetic cause and sometimes the pancreas still has some function, and the wishy washy undefined term of type 1.5 is pretty much what doctors use when they have a younger patient who presents like LADA/MODY but is also overweight. Being overweight increases insulin resistance if it is the result of overeating or rather overexposure to insulin. Being overweight can also be the result of many other factors such as the slow onset of LADA causing the body to become stressed and start to store weight in any which way it can to compensate. It's only been a couple years that an overweight person could be considered as type 1 or 1.5. Until more research is done, the general view is to think of being overweight as being type 2 and being insulin deficient as type 1, when a person is both they give the listing type 1.5 but it also refers to MODY and LADA patients who are usually skinny and generally resent the association with an overweight type of diabetes, so really it's kind of a bad labeling all around.

jwags

I think if they did more thorough lab testing when people are diagnosed we would see much better outcomes. LADA is an autoimmune form of of diabetes. It is a slow onset version of Type 1. Many think it is a combination of type 1 and type 2, it is not. MODY diabetes is completely different. It is not caused by autoimmune attack but caused by different genetic markers that are there from birth. The only way to dx is to do the genetic testing. For LADA you need to have GAD antibody testing done.

Vilya

This is a great thread. After being on here for more than a year, I still get confused sometimes by all the different types of D. So it's nice to see it all explained in one place.

And jwags, HI!! Nice to see you! :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.