Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2013 Bicycling

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

As promised, here is the opening post for the 2013 thread.

My personal goals for 2013 are modest -- try to maintain about 100 miles/week over the year and get some pedaling or other aerobic exercise daily. Care to share your goals?

raffi

Yay for 2013!

Like last year, my goal is to do a longer ride toward the end of the summer. Last year's was a 100 mile gravel grinder. This year, I'm planning a 2 day 185 mile ride. I plan on doing 120 miles the first day and the last 65 the next day. Kind of a combo between a good hard ride and seeing what I think of touring.

As to total miles, I was pretty happy with 3600 this year, but I do want more next year. Guess I will see what happens.

rwallen

2012 I did not ride 65 days. I would like to lessen that amount. I rode 5188 miles on my mtb, tri-cross, and tandem. I did another 1125 on the SB. I would like to spend less time on the spin bike and more on my tri-cross or tandem. Total, I would like to do at least 7000 miles this year. I am planning on doing the Katy Trail twice and considering doing Ragbrai. Instead of doing organized rides, which I'm sure I will, I would like to do more distance rides.....short touring types. I plan on riding to my son's 100 miles away, spending the night, and then riding back home the next day. Hopefully, I can just ride MORE!! :)

Gordonm

Start the year off this morning with a brisk 24 miles in 38 degree temps. Always like to ride New Years day

raffi

My new year's ride was in 20 degree temps and the 16.5 miles ended with hitting rut when almost home and bruising my leg. On the plus side, I think I managed to keep my toes warmer than any other longer cold ride this winter.

I did managed to discover a new adventure, ice washboards. Now that's an experience I was not expecting. With the cloudy weather and packed snow on the roads, the contrast was such that it was not easy to see what you were getting into. I did manged to get where I could see the washboarding before I got to it and I even saw the rut that took me down (about a fraction of a second before it took my front tire...).

Most of the ride was not too bad as far as ruts etc. Taking it slow and easy on the downhills, I felt pretty safe. The last bit heading home is just not being maintained as well as the rest. I think I will be staying off that stretch until things clear up. Probably doing more skiing than riding for the next bit.

lorilei
Start the year off this morning with a brisk 24 miles in 38 degree temps. Always like to ride New Years day

ditto!

good to start the year off right.

ORjt

Hi All!

I, too, was able to ride NYD - 12.6 miles. Beautiful weather, though cold (40F). Saw 13 other riders on my brief excursion! (It was planned to be short - things to do around the house).

As to goals - aiming for 2500 this year, and thinking seriously about commuting once the days get long enough. If that's successful, I'll up my goal to ~3000. I also need to do better, in general, with the number of days that I do some significant exercise; I want to be up to the 4-5 days per week.

No desire to do another Century this year; that goal has been met :D ... instead, I'll limit organized rides (of which I have planned for a few) - to no more than a Metric Century. It's a much kinder (for me) distance.

That's about it.

Safe and Happy New Year's to all!

See you around the thread ...

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

We are resolved, now all we have to do is follow-through. I envy everyone who managed to get outdoors on New Years Day. The local roads are still too messy for riding safely as the cars are parked, in many cases, a foot or more into the normal roadway (FWIW: It isn't easy driving a car down some streets with traffic in both directions -- I've had to stop more than a few times to avoid side-swipes.)

Therefore, I'm well into the annual Tour de Garage. This year I'm doing well getting my (almost daily) hour of exercise and covering 29+ miles in the process. With my set of progressive five-minute intervals I'm pretty well beat by the time I cross the 60 minute mark.

rwallen

Well, day 1 of the new year didn't go so well for me. I had a work emergency. So, I didn't even get to ride the spin bike that day. :( Hooray for those who are able to get outside! I'm guess I'm a bit of a fair weather rider. It's not that enjoyable for me when the temps. are below 45 degrees.

Take care and be safe!

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

The roads were finally clear enough and the temperatures warm enough with winds low enough to get me outdoors for a 22 mile loop. Even the low 40's feel cold but it was good to get out on the roads versus the rollers. I did find a few dicey spots but managed to avoid ice patches in shady sections.

Riding on the roads I am reminded of what I already know but don't think about often -- indoor riding is more about your head than your body. Yeah you maintain some level of fitness and your aerobic capacity stays pretty good, but the real gain is that ability to push on when everything is telling you to stop. Yes, there is value in that once you get back on the roads and you have the ability to coast from time-to-time.

Stay safe out there, and/or train your brain inside on the trainer of your choice (just don't watch tapes of professional races while on rollers -- that first turn is a killer...)

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

It's been a quiet week here at Lake DF, the bicyclists have been silent.

I've had a few outdoor days but today the rains have returned and so has the annual TdG. Nothing dramatic, just the progression of the days wondering what the next few months will bring. Tomorrow and Sunday look good and Linda won't have any charity work so we're planning on getting the tandem out on the road for at least two days. Next week it will be back to business as usual until Linda finsihes her annual project.

I do hope that everyone else is doing well, even if there isn't much to talk about regarding bicycling in January.

rwallen

Hi Ronin,

We were just waiting to hear from you before we posted! :)

Besides missing Jan. 1st I have not missed a day since. All of my riding has been on the spin bike until yesterday. I admit I don't like the spin bike. I don't like sitting there for an hour and 15 minutes, pedaling hard and then being only able to document 10 miles. I seriously think something is off on the odometer. However, my riding is about controlling my BG. Racking up mileage is only secondary. I was curious how the biking would be yesterday. Riding indoors works the muscles differently as does riding the tandem. I must say it felt really good to get out. Either because of the SB or not riding the single in a while, I rode really well and strong. We had mid 60s here yesterday and I probably should have taken advantage of the weather more since it's going to turn cold again and I'll be back inside. However, I was able to get in 28.5 miles against some pretty decent winds. A cold front is moving in today and I am going to try to get out before the temps. drop too much. I don't know how well that will work out.

Anway, stay safe a good riding!

raffi

Not as many rides as I would like. Only 38 miles so far (though no indoor riding yet). For my birthday, we went down to where it was warm and I was going to ride my age. Unfortunately, when I got there I realized that the crash on the first busted my shifter off. A 49 mile ride in low gears was not to be, so I gave up after 10.

I did get a ride on Thursday since it had warmed up and it looked like the trail between the city I dropped my car off for repair and where I worked had cleared up. Turns out it was only mostly clear. The rest was a challenge. I even had to walk the bike through a couple of spots.

It's snowing again today sighhhhh.... Guess I will get the skis back out.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Ah, the best laid plans... Linda was planning to ride the tandem with me today, but the weather said no. Overcast skies and wet roads got in the way of our plans. We try not to ride the tandem on wet roads if at all possible -- we've had enough accidents and simply don't need to temp another one. So, I took the single out and she caught up on post holiday letters to friends and family that don't use e-mail. There were six other cyclists on the roads today braving the wet conditions.

Tomorrow is a possiblity but unless things dry out (and NOAA says they won't) we won't be on the tandem before the middle of next week.

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well.

Raffi: Sad to read about the busted shifter -- that is nasty.

Rick: Yeah, those indoor miles are painful but they do train the mind and I would check out the odometer - I'll bet you do more than 10 miles in an hour unless you have a lot of resistance (i.e., uphill resistance all the way).

Gordonm

We rode today down in South Jersey and the roads dried out enough for a good ride. I have not yet rode the trainer as the weather and roads have been OK. Some cold rides but today was pretty nice. We dressed correctly and got in 20 or so miles and a good ride. Tomorrow looks good also. I will be in Florida for a week with my kids and visiting my parents. They have a beach cruiser bike that I will probably get a few miles on but its not my usual bike ride. I am still riding outdoors and will continue as long as the roads are not snow covered.

rwallen

Hi all!

Well, I was able to get out yesterday morning and get in another 28.5 mile ride. I went a different route and added some hills. I admit I was kinda dragging on the way back. I didn't check my avg. but I'm sure it was less than Saturday. The temperature dropped 6 degrees while I was out and about 2 hours after I was back it had dropped some more and it started to rain. So, I was glad I decided to get out early. Today I will be on the spin bike. It's not as bad as I make it out to be and it's especially ok if I can get in some outside rides once and a while.

Take care!!

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

We finally got out on the tandem! First time since Thanksgiving week. Yeah, it is different from the single. Linda decided (and I agreed) that a 16 mile loop was the best starting distance for the amount of time she has been off the tandem -- have to build back. The weather was great with temperatures in the mid 50's although there was a stiff NNW wind we had to deal with. For the first time in over a month this wasn't bad at all. Tomorrow looks ugly -- again. Much colder then snow and sleet starting Tuesday evening into Wednesday - oh joy!

Gordon: Enjoy Florida.

ORjt

Hi Folks,

It's been an interesting week or so. Last Sunday (7th) - got out for a nice 31 mile ride - cool/cold (41F) and humid, but the roads were dry. Felt really good, up until about midnight. I've been fighting some sort of nasty virus since then; and of course, Mrs. ORjt came down with the same crud 2 days later. I'm finally improving, but still coughing up crud, still feel really run down. We're in a long dry-ish stretch of quite cold weather - high today *might* be around 30; a bit of snow this morning, but hard to tell whether it fell from the sky, or just precipitated out of the fog ...

It's supposed to warm up, but stay dry, for the next 5-10 days (hard to predict that far out), so we'll see how that goes. I'm hoping to get back on the exercise bike for a short workout in the next day or so ... this has been a nasty, nasty bug ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Gordonm

I got 35 miles in yesterday. Great ride. Today down in Florida I did manage about 1 mile on a beach cruiser bike. Oh well this week will be a little light on miles but I will still rides little.

Ronin

Everyone:

The weather returned to winter with snow, sleet and rain (makes a lovely mixture to shovel). So it's back to the great indoors and yet-another stage of the TdG. Not much to say about that other than the forecast looks like it will melt off but the roads will be messy for a while. Indoors, as I have said often, is good for the body but is really mental training.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Filthy bike, happy cyclist! That about sums up today. With temperatures in the low 40's and the roads basically clear, albeit not completely dry, and a forecast for tomorrow that has the maximum temperature at 30 degrees (F) i opted for the outdoors with the full knowledge that later I'm going to spend an hour or so cleaning the single bike. Fortunately the single is carbon-fiber so there isn't as much risk of corrosion as the (steel) tandem. I'll be indoors tomorrow either on the rollers or taking a rest day (playing it by ear).

How is everyone else dealing with winter?

ORjt

Hi all,

Well, finally back on the exercise bike last night for a short (20 minute) workout. It's been an 11 day layoff, due to the stupid virus I've been fighting. Felt reasonably good, and didn't cough up a lung :D

Our cold, dry spell is forecast to last through early next week, hoping to get out for a couple of short rides over the weekend.

As to the winter, I'm actually doing ok-ish. Other than this last week, I've only had one other stretch (back in December) where I missed a significant number of days. I'm pretty much hitting my goal of 3-4 days per week; and compared to last year, I've added ~10 minutes to my 'typical' exercise bike workout (hitting ~52 minutes this winter, vs 42 from last).

Looking forward to getting more evening daylight, and our Tour de Cure training rides kick off first weekend of March. There's light at the end of the tunnel - shorts can't be that far off!

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Today I'm faced with what I call: "The athletes dilemma." I awoke around 0200 to a scratchy throat, a simple drink of water did not resolve it, so I assume I have some kind of Rhinovirus at work. Is this simply a sinus infection, or something worse? Now the dilemma: Other than the scratchy throat, I feel fine and the weather will be good for a single bike ride (no tandem as I don't want Linda in my draft if I'm infectious). On the one hand, if it is something other than a 24-hour virus a ride could make things worse; on the other hand if it is just a 24-hour virus I could miss a perfectly good ride. I don't have to make the decision yet but I will have to struggle with it until either I make the ride or it is too late to start. I simply cannot win this argument with myself.

raffi

I'm thinking I'd do the bike ride followed by a hot shower and an expectorant. I'd expect that to clean me out and help fight off the bug. Of course, I've been wrong taking that approach...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.