Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2013 Bicycling

Ronin

MalteseMom, Et al.,

We all had to start someplace. I can still remember the very shaky legs after a few miles on during the first weeks of tandeming (my primary form of bicycle riding). We were just so unfit back then and we weighed a lot more (George - 225 and Linda 155) and almost 20 years later we ride longer distances (typical rides are 22 or 55 miles) and we weigh a whole lot less (George 150 and Linda 106). Our MD loves our current condition and lab numbers. We ride because we love riding and find those days when we can't to be bothersome.

Today was a roller session for George as there were snow flurries and really cold temperatures that made the TdG the best option for today..

MalteseMom
MalteseMom, Et al.,

We all had to start someplace. I can still remember the very shaky legs after a few miles on during the first weeks of tandeming (my primary form of bicycle riding). We were just so unfit back then and we weighed a lot more (George - 225 and Linda 155) and almost 20 years later we ride longer distances (typical rides are 22 or 55 miles) and we weigh a whole lot less (George 150 and Linda 106). Our MD loves our current condition and lab numbers. We ride because we love riding and find those days when we can't to be bothersome.

Today was a roller session for George as there were snow flurries and really cold temperatures that made the TdG the best option for today..

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Saturday (28 Dec) is a whole lot better for riding outdoors although, despite temperatures above 40 Linda declined to ride the tandem. It was windy (ahead of a storm heading our way) but nice to be outdoors rather than in the garage. I'm working my winter pattern of riding on Sun-Tue-Thu-Sat (weather and schedule permitting) and upper body BowFlex on Mon-Wed-Fri. So far this is working for me although my leg muscles do protest the morning after the BowFlex days.

2013 is almost gone - where did the time go?

Gordonm

Today was a good ride day. Temps in the 50s but lots of wind. Sure beats 30s though. 2013 is almost gone so we rest the mileage clock shortly. Still a good year at 3000+ miles. No major mishaps other than a few flat tires. Here is to a successful year and good start to next year.

Gordonm
Hey I just got a mountain bike and I'm excited to try a new riding adventure! Does anyone here mountain bike?

Yes I have both. Mainly a roadie but mountain biking is a fun change

apollo322
Yes I have both. Mainly a roadie but mountain biking is a fun change

Yeah I have both too, and just ordered a rack for my sedan. I'd like to ride a lot both ways this coming year.

raffi

As far as mountain biking goes, I only ride a mountain bike, but I don't know if my riding would qualify as mountain biking. Since I live on gravel roads, I need a mountain bike if I'm going to ride from home. Otherwise, I'd need to drive the bike someplace where I could ride it. That would severely cut down on the number of rides.

Speaking of number of rides, here's my year end stats

Jan 111.5

Feb 136.5

Mar 293.5

Apr 274.5

May 354.0

Jun 470.5

Jul 615.0

Aug 706.0

Sep 551.5

Oct 258.0

Nov 272.0

Dec 206.0

4249.0 Total Miles

248 rides

17.1 Miles/Ride average

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

And 2013 draws to a close. It has been a good tandeming/bicycling year for Team Wells. Total miles logged are 4880, not as good as previous years but not shabby for a team with a combined age of 135 years. Right now road riding is not in the cards for us and Linda is about to launch into her first quarter project for her charitable outreach program renewing cooperative agreements with local social service agencies so even if the weather cooperates I'll be on the single either on the roads or in the garage.

Today, the last day of 2013 had me in the garage because the outside temperatures were in the high teens to low 20's and while Raffi might consider those temperatures acceptable, my body doesn't. So I did my 30 miles in just over an hour 1:01:20. I'll be starting up the 2014 thread and we can all motivate each other because research shows that sharing your accomplishments and goals does provide positive motivation and sometimes we all need a bit of that.

We'll be sitting at home this evening as we don't get anymore invitations to New Years Eve parties because we always fade long before midnight and we have a reputation of turning down the invitations. We've recorded the Kohaku from NHK and will watch some of that until our eyelids slam shut and that will be around 2100 and by then 2014 will already be 14 hours old.

Given the weather forecast there will not be a New Years Day ride either just TDC for us.

Happy 2014 and we'll get going on the new thread.

rwallen

Hi all!

Well, I finished the last day of the year with a little over 31 mile ride outside. I think the temps were around the mid to upper 40s. My knee was bothering me at the turn around point and I was wondering if I had been wise in trying to ride my usual distance since I hadn't in a little over a month. I made it home ok and I think my knee will be fine. So, I think I am finally on the mend.

I ended up riding 1448 TOTAL (spin bike, tandem, single) miles more than I did last year. I managed to miss 4 days less this year than last year. I rode the spin bike 346 miles less and Patti and I rode the tandem 246 miles more than last year. I logged 1548 miles more on my single than I did last year for a total of 6103 miles on it. I missed matching my TOTAL mileage from last year with my single's mileage by 210 miles which I think was achievable and may or may not have happened if I hadn't hurt my knee the day after Thanksgiving. All together I turned the pedals on something for a total of 7761 miles this year.

As I have posted previously, I have no goals for 2014 other than to try to ride everyday. I like trying to do around 30 miles but it requires more time than I probably should dedicate. I may do some local organized rides this year but have no plans to pay to do multi-day rides or to travel out of state to do any rides. I do plan on doing some multi-day, self supported, rides from home if at all possible. I did log that I did 3 centuries and 9 metrics this year.

All in all, it was a good year for cycling. I can't say that my love for cycling has dimished any. I guess my goal for 2014 is to try to figure out how to ride as much as I can. :)

Have a great New Year's Eve everyone!

Rick

Sprockets
Hey I just got a mountain bike and I'm excited to try a new riding adventure! Does anyone here mountain bike?

I'm a mountain biker too. If you want info on trails in your area check out Singletracks || SINGLETRACKS.COM or Mountain Bike Review. I started when I was 40 and I'm now 53. Took about a year off but started getting back into it again 2 months ago.

Yesterday I went for a "quick" spin around the neighborhood. Ended up riding 25 miles. That's before the vodka. :D

Gordonm

We finished off 2013 with a 16 mile ride with temps in the low 30s. Wind chill was probably about 20. Good ride but chilly. We are heading out today also for the start of 2014. Only missed 1 New Years ride in 9 years due to being on vacation. It's about 39 out so it should be about 20 miles is about all the chill we can take.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.