Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2013 Bicycling

Ronin

Raffi, et al.,

I made the decison not to ride. The reason being that, just before lunch I started to feel really tired, my sinuses got hot, and my throat started to ache a bit more. Riding outside, or even TdG might well have made the situation worse rather than better. I'm still hoping that this is just a 24-hour bug (I did have my flu and pneumonia immunizations back in October). For the moment I'm just taking it easy, drinking lots of fluids, and using my arsenal of remidies (i.e., spraying my throat with full-strength brown Listerine, Ponaris, and Halls).

This was hard because the temperatures hit 50 and it was lovely outside. Perhaps I'm smart, or just a wimp. Time for a nap.

raffi

A beautiful and sunny day today. While only around 30 degrees and ice/snow covered roads, and even though I have grown quite timid of riding in the snow, I could not resist. Going slow and the downhills and flats (and I do mean SLOWWWWWW) I managed to have an uneventful ride. Kind of different when you are looking forward to the climbs so that you can actually do some riding.

I did learn a lot about what is and is not safe to ride over, I many be willing to venture out in the evenings for my short rides again making sure to go very slow in certain places.

raffi

This was hard because the temperatures hit 50 and it was lovely outside. Perhaps I'm smart, or just a wimp. Time for a nap.

My guess is you were being smart. Get better soon.

ORjt

Hi All,

Re: virii -- hope y'all are doing ok. If it's the nasty bug, you'll know it soon enough - I went from OK, to really really not OK in ~12 hours (and yes, I too had my flu shot this year). I was out sick for a week, and am finally feeling mostly over it in 2 weeks. I've been slowly ramping back up on exercise - I've just been too tired feeling, and not wanting to get too run down.

So, having said that - on Sunday I was able to get in a really nice, albeit short, ride - 17 miles, beautiful sun, and warm enough (45). (Saturday had been foggy, and near freezing, a bad combination).

Weather guessers are forecasting a return to 'normal' (ie rain) by the end of this week. Yuck. So it goes.

Take care of yourselves - and stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

JT, et al.,

I'm certain that what I have is a Rhinovirus. I'm in day-four right now. Fortunately this is when it peaks so it should be downhill for the rest of the week. I got fooled this morning because I felt really great, but as the day progressed, more-and-more lousy. I guess the old addage is right -- treat it yourself and it will last seven days, see an MD and you will be well in one-week.

I guess there will be no sessions of TdG till at least this weekend. I'm going a little bit crazy but I'll get over it.

raffi

Snow ice and cold has pretty much described this January. You'd think it was winter or something.

Monday and Tuesday were sunny, but never got warm enough to melt the roads enough for me to want to ride. Wednesday was warmer, but the rain (which was melting things) had not yet done its work. Today was sunny again and very soft muddy roads with little ice were calling to me. My normal short ride is not yet safe enough for me to try, but I did do a different route of similar length. It felt good to be back on the bike. I'm always in so much better of a mood when I get to ride. I feel like I'm getting a hit of a very powerful drug.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

The rhino-virus is history -- finally. I wimpped out today. The temperature in the garage is hovering around 35 and I just could not motivate myself to mount the rollers, even for a short session. I've been out of the saddle for seven days now. I can't say that I'm felling bad, getting over the rhino-virus I'm feelilng a whole lot better! The real problem is how to dress for an indoor session at those temperatures -- overdress and I'll over-heat under-dress and I'll get chilled.

The outdoor weather is, by NJ standards, brutally cold with nightime temps in the single digits and the daytime barely touching 20. Next week looks like it might warm up a bit and my garage might return to it's normal 40 degree temperatures -- much more friendly to TdG.

As Raffi noted (above) I do miss the endorphine kick from riding, but I'm a certifed wimp when it comes to really cold weather -- even in the garage.

rwallen

Hi all!

Ronin, I'm glad you're feeling better.

I don't have much to report. Fortunately for me, I have been feeling good and I have been able to ride either indoors or out. One of my goals was to shorten the numbers of days missed riding. Of course, I missed the first and I've missed another day since. Last year I missed 4 days in January. So, I was hoping to do better. Unfortunately I am going to a bike expo and swap meet in St. Louis tomorrow. So, I will probably miss riding, making it the 3rd day this month. :( Along with that, I am behind in mileage. This is mainly due to the probable inaccuracy of the odo on the SB. Still, it sounds as though it's the time of year that we all have our issues with health, weather, or whatever. So, I should consider myself very fortunate with what I have been able to do and I do believe that the workout on the SB has been very beneficial. I agree with Ronin that the indoor riding does help with the mental aspect. I hope to get outside today and go for a long ride. The weather is supposed to be decent.

Take care all and RIDE ON!!

Ronin

Rick, et al.,

Thanks for the kind thoughts. The good news is that I'm back on the saddle -- sort of. I managed a half hour on the rollers before I just had enough. Wow! Seven days of no riding and that is what happens to my fitness. Yeah, I'll get it back but at the end of 30 minutes and covering 14 miles I was a dripping sweaty mess with slightly shaky legs. Next time I might make it to 45 or build up slower.

The weather here in NJ is still brutally cold (at least for NJ residents). Nightime temps in the single digits and barely hitting 20 before diving back down below 10. On balance, I cannot complain -- I just did 30 minutes and 14 miles more than I did during my struggle with the Rhino-Virus.

rwallen

Good morning all!

Well, I was able to get out and ride yesterday. I rode with a couple of my "regular" ladies. One bowed out after 10 miles. She had already done 20 on an earlier ride with a new group of people. The other lady stayed with me for another 20 some before she had to get home. It was supposed to be the end for me as well but my chores were done, the weather was nice, and I had nothing better to do. So, I continued on for another 10 or so miles ending up with 41 total. It was truely a great day!. BTW, it's raining this morning but I wasn't planning on riding anyway. :)

Take care!

ORjt

Hi all,

Had a family commitment on Saturday, so despite decent weather, wasn't able to ride. I did manage to get out this morning for 15 miles before the rain returned. At 38F, it doesn't take a lot of falling water to make riding uncomfortable. Managing to get on the exercise bike (though not as much as I'd really like) - but still feeling a bit run down from whatever bug it was that I had earlier in the month ...

Ronin - glad you are on the mend. Your weather is brutally cold by just about any standard!

Not much else to report ... just waiting for more daylight, and less rain.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

lorilei

As a Jersey rider, I agree these past few weeks have not been very helpful..Ronin I feel for you ...having to make the decision to skip a ride when you are on the brink of being sick is rough, especially when the weather has been choppy at best. Having a cold when riding is another whole bag of tricks...Hoping for warmer weather this week, but the forecast is for freezing rain and sleet today...having the ride yet again on hold just kills one of my favorite bg control methods. Guess I will join those of you who have already set up bikes on the trainer....blah!

raffi

While yesterday was coldish (low 30s) and threatening snow, I decided that the roads were clear enough that I should ride. I got a 20 mile ride on very soggy roads with only a bit of ice. It only snowed a little during the ride, not enough to cause any problems.

Since we are having a major snow storm today, I'm not sure when I will be able to get back on the bike. Glad I got one in.

Gordonm

I finally broke down and rode the trainer today. I was in Florida last week and took a few more days off but the weather here is just not allowing for outdoor riding. I lost my trainer in my divorce so I found good one similar to my old for for 75 bucks. I hope to not use it to much as I prefer to ride outdoors. I set it up today and it works great. Rode for 50 minutes at my interval training pace and got a good workout. Hopefully the next two days are forecast to be warmer and maybe some outdoor riding. Felt good to be back at it. I slacked off long enough. Every once in a while it is nice to take a little time off.

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Got sidetracked with a host of impromptu meetings and chores for the past few days and the weather simply did not help. Finally got out today for a nice 22 mile ride that has the single bike filthy again (the tandem, being a steel frame, doesn't go out when the roads are heavily salted) but the single is carbon fiber so no fears of rusting.

Tomorrow is forecast for more rain but that should wash away the salt and I'll see if I can muster the motivation to do a TdG session while the raindrops fall.

Gordonm

Rode outside yesterday and today. Absolutly terrible conditions for the bike. My bike was never dirtier and the chain was just grinding away will all the road sand. The roads were very wet and the wind is really blowing. Temps in the 60s but everything else was not good. Still got in an outdoor ride but I will have to spend a long time cleaning and lubing the bike. Not worried about rust due to carbon fiber but drivetrain needs cleaning and lubing. Clothes need a good wash also. CAme home full of dirt and sand and everything was very wet.

raffi

It has warmed up to around 40 and the snow is mostly gone. I was able to ride both yesterday and today. Today I went on my normal short ride and found that it still has some pretty bad (slush/ice/mud) spots.

Considering the weather, I had a pretty good January logging 111 miles. Boy am I looking forward to spring.

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Gordon: you are braver than I am. I've been doing TdG lately because the temperatures and winds are too much. Also, there are more than a few icy patches where even the car slips a bit - no way I'm putting the bike on the roads till it gets warmer, the winds calm down and the roads are clear and dry.

raffi

We had a beautiful warm (45 degrees) sunny day today. In fact, it was so nice that our local ground hog, unable to bear the thought of staying cooped up on such a glorious day, broke with tradition, donned some sun glasses, slathered on some sun screen and has been laying out catching some rays. At last report, he was trying to order a pina colada from passers by and saying "bring one for my shadowy friend too". Not sure what this means for winter, but on a day like today, it's hard to care.

Well I was not going to stay cooped up either, in fact, things have melted enough around here that I took the new (ie no studs) bike. I'd forgotten what it was like to glide down the roads. Even with soft muddy roads and a head wind, the riding felt down right easy compared to the aggressive studded knobbies on my old bike. I got in a good 20 mile ride.

rwallen

Hi all,

Well, I have been riding inside since the middle of last week. I had 3 wonderful days before that, that I got to ride outside. Yesterday would have been a good one too but my schedule for the day just didn't allow it. So, I was on the SB last night watching The Ride. My plans were to get out today. Today was supposed to be the warmest day of the weekend. It doesn't appear that it will be. Also, my daughter and her husband are coming over for a late lunch. So, I may be inside again. :(

For those of you that may be interested....I would have posted on the FB page of the group I ride with but I thought that they would be even less interested :) .....here is some data from January. I do not plan to post this every month.

I rode one more day this Jan. than I did in Jan. '12 missing 3 days last month.

I got OUTSIDE on my bike 3 more days than I did in January '12

Because of the extra riding outside, I had about 153 additional outside miles decreasing the overall mileage deficit from this January to last year by 30.25 miles. Last year I put in about 17 miles each time I rode my daughter's exercise bike compared to the 10 miles that the odo on my SB says.

Overall, I ended up with 420 total miles for January 2013.

I'm glad you're all able to ride is some fashion. Have fun! Stay safe!! Spring is just around the corner!

ORjt

Hi all,

Not sure whether spring is around the corner, or if it's gone back into hiding - it was a yin/yang weekend.

Saturday was gorgeous - sunny, little wind, and 56F out on the bike. I ended up having to go into work, but took the bike and clothes with me, and went out for a nice 18 mile flat ride. I felt good to be out of 'polar bear' mode, if even for one day.

Today - it was back to 'normal' - 43, cloudy/foggy ... but no rain :) ... not feeling my best, but still got out for another 16 miles.

Stay safe out there !

--JT

rwallen

I was able to get out yesterday after all. It was a little cool but it was nice to get out. It's suppose to be in the 50s here all week.

Rick

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Here in NJ the roads are still off-limits for Team Wells and even just for me. Winter indoor riding is all about mental conditioning and perhaps that is harder than the physical discipline. On second thought, no perhaps about it -- the mental side is much more difficult. Excuses are too easy on these indoor winter days.

The daylight hours are perceptably longer now, so the hope of spring is there.

Gordonm

I had to go out today. It was somewhat sunny and the temp was 25 degrees. The roads are full of salt but dry. So I went out anyway. Good ride but my toes started to feel it about 15 miles so it was only 18 for today but at least it was a ride.

lorilei

I also rode yesterday and it makes me just want to bow down to our ice cycle riding com padres in much chillier states ...I have to admit ~much easier to ride with the proper riding gear..this year I have been blessed with better clothing knowledge ( wicking turtle necks, booties and much better gloves...)...I only was able to put in maybe 12 total miles...kind of sad b/c I felt I could have tolerated more since I was properly garbbed...but I did learn...to NEVER ride without my own provisions...especially a cell phone in case I lose sight of my riding partner...still ~as always...glad to have a ride of some sort logged....it NEVER fails to boost the spirits, and often contributes to a better bg later...so who can complain!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.