Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2013 Bicycling

Bill A

I read some of the stories you guys share and feel like a spoiled kid. i likely would want a half track to brave the weather you guys do to enjoy your sport. During my 40's and early 50's I lived in an area just south pf los Angelas known as Redondo Beach in fact I had a top floor apt that faced the ocean waves until I bought a boat and lived in the harbor. There

was a bike path that ran from south Redondo Beach up to just north of Santa Monica which is perhaps 25 or so miles of two lane and in many places lit all night. The town was to the east and the beach the west. It did go up through town in a few places but mostly beach. I worked at the north end if you will and it was a 21 mile ride to work on the path so I rode usually twice a week which would be a day of 21 miles then work a 8 hour day and 21 miles back home. The ride home was usually into a slight breeze to sometimes a wind . When it got really windy I woulf tuck up into the streets behind apartments and the like which made it easier but when I got home I was wrecked. I did learn to ride rollerblades to accomodate my youngest son and really fell in love with them because when skating you are at eyes level so you look at people more naturally and meet a lot of folks that are as well skating. We havn't skated for a few years now but I am still very tempted now that I'm retired and still have like 5 sets of skates. Skating is an incredable way to loose weight as it works all the largest muscle groups and tightens the center core, butt and works the legs amazingly. I used to skate up to Venice Beach to people watch as it's famous for that but I think I became one of the folks being watched.......... which was fun as well.

Gordonm

Bill, I agree roller blading is very good but the roads around here are terrible due to winter. I did roller blade one summmer years ago and it was good but dodging potholes and the heaving roads is very tough.

I did manage 20 miles today in 34 degree weather. We are expecting a very large storm tomorrow and Ronin looks like he is going to get a foot plus in his area. We are only expecting 1 to 3 inches which is enough to halt outdoor riding for sure. Hopefully the temps will rise and it will melt quickly. Might be on the trainer for a few days. Oh well.

Bill A

Gordonm, perhaps what you describe is why my parents moved to So Cal from the east. Is there any form of path system that doesn't come with large trucks wizzing by....... I have to take my hat off to you guys living in

such an uncivilized area...... again a bit of humor. It has been around 70 here during the day but that is changing a storm is moving in today and will drop a little rain. It amazes me how we get a half inch of rain and the

storm turns into a blizzard before it gets to you guys. Take care as spring is coming, heck our trees are starting to bud already.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Bill A: Welcome to the thread.

Well, Gordon is correct. As I type this the snow is falling as it has been since around 0600 this morning and there is no sign that it is going to stop any time soon. I kind neighbor took out his snowblower and did the sidewalk for our entire side of the street -- that was really nice. However, I'm not going to bother to suit-up to shovel before the storm starts to move off. We're well stocked, warm and dry and there is no good reason I can think of to go outside.

I did another session of TdG watching the snow falling outside the garage window while listening to some great classical music (Yes, that is my preferred genre). There were more than a few times that the tempo matched my planned pace as I rolled away at 29.3mph (average) for just over an hour. Tomorrows exercise will be with a snow shovel (oh joy!) and I doubt that I'll be out on roads any time soon.

Only one bummer -- I seem to be developing arthritis in my left wrist. I've had some discomfort and today I noticed that the distal end of my radius is slightly swollen. I guess my days as a gymnast along with a few falls years ago have caught up with me. But, I can still ride the bike and play the violin.

ORjt
Hi Everyone!

Bill A: Welcome to the thread.

Well, Gordon is correct. As I type this the snow is falling as it has been since around 0600 this morning and there is no sign that it is going to stop any time soon. I kind neighbor took out his snowblower and did the sidewalk for our entire side of the street -- that was really nice. However, I'm not going to bother to suit-up to shovel before the storm starts to move off. We're well stocked, warm and dry and there is no good reason I can think of to go outside.

I did another session of TdG watching the snow falling outside the garage window while listening to some great classical music (Yes, that is my preferred genre). There were more than a few times that the tempo matched my planned pace as I rolled away at 29.3mph (average) for just over an hour. Tomorrows exercise will be with a snow shovel (oh joy!) and I doubt that I'll be out on roads any time soon.

Only one bummer -- I seem to be developing arthritis in my left wrist. I've had some discomfort and today I noticed that the distal end of my radius is slightly swollen. I guess my days as a gymnast along with a few falls years ago have caught up with me. But, I can still ride the bike and play the violin.

But isn't it hard to keep your balance with both hands off the bars ?

/rimshot ...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

For all you folks in the NE - stay safe and warm ... be careful shovelling snow ...

Looks like we'll have decent weather this weekend (upper 40's, little to no rain). Will hopefully have a ride report on Monday.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Bill A

Handle bars, I think they're optional here in California. You guys should invest in a time share on the west coast where it usually doesn't snow below 6000 feet. If you have been watching the news about the deranged cop here

trying to shoot all the other cops the mountain area shown on the news is where we own a small cabin, I was up there this week until they said the snow was coming so I came down off the mountain yesterday. Thats also where that bus crashed a couple of days ago. Stay warm, it's raining here I hate it

Bill A

You guys are gonna hate me for being such a west coaster but it has started a warming trend here, supposed to be in the low 80's here Saturday inland of course.

ORjt

Hi all,

Bill - we don't hate you, just jealous :D

So, Saturday turned out to be more wet than anticipated (imagine that!) - I bailed on riding, did 55 minutes on the exercise bike instead. It's been a long recovery from whatever stupid virus I had back in January; that's the longest I've been on the indoor bike since then.

Sunday was better - no rain, but no sun either (or rather, back to full cloud cover by the time I got out to ride). Did a decent 25.5 miles, 46F. There was a fair amount of wind (breeze? what's the granularity of wind misery?). Fortunately, it was "head wind out, tail wind back", and it wasn't really all that bad, just caught me off guard.

It's at least starting to look a bit more like spring, even if it doesn't feel like it yet - the days are definitely longer, and brighter. Now if we can just get some of Bill's warmth!

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for the jokes -- I deserved them. Actually I'm begining to think it's lack of exercise (not a lot of shifting the big ring on rollers) because the more I use/exercise the wrist the better if feels and that is not consistent with arthritis.

The snows came, and came, and came,... We got just under a foot. This morning the rains came along with fog and temperatures in the low 40's. The roads are a sloppy mess of snow-melt, salt, and sand. Another stage of the TdG. I'm following a regimine of TdG on M-W-F becuase every single day is just too mind-numbing. Just enough to maintain basic cardio and muscle tone so that when (not if) the weather and road surfaces cooperate I'll be ready to hit the roads.

Bill: Yeah, we're jealous but not quite ready to sell the house and move to Southern CA.

Bill A

Ronin, sounds like you got it going on. You see I have lived my entire life here in So Cal so this is really the only environment I have ever known, perhaps that's why it sounds so scary to me. I have gone scuba diving

Christmas week and rain is about the only we deal with here other than an occasional earthquake and that aint nothing. I actually own a home in the Pacific North West as well and have intended to retire there, just havn't got

to it just yet. I have many friends that love the New England area and everything that you guys have as it's different and from what I've heard cultural........ whatever that is? Have fun and just for the record, I would trade you 2 feet of snow for Jerry brown.

raffi

After a good start to February riding, I came down with a cold last week and took several days off. Today the snow cleared again and I'm better, so I got a short ride. It was in the mid 30s, but the ride felt great. I may try my normal short route tomorrow, but that will mean going back to the old bike just in case the shaded places are still icy and dangerous.

Gordonm

Got in a good ride today. Temps were close to 50 but a heavy winf rom the west. Still got in 31 miles. I needed to do that as I am off to Vegas for conferences for 3 days now. Ugh. Sitting in conference rooms for days always elevates my blood sugar readings. No movement! Oh well.

rwallen

I've been doing ok on my riding lately. I have racked up more miles outside this year so far than I did last year. My overall mileage is a little behind due the the spin bike odo but I believe that I get a really good work out from it and my road mileage has helped alot in making up that deficit. I have actually been getting out when it's a little colder, maybe not as much as some of you. My opinion is that I won't know what clothes are necessary unless I get out there and ride when it's colder. For me, I think it's kind of a mental thing. I can feel totally warm but I feel a little coolness on my cheeks and know that the temps. are colder. So, I mentally know that it's colder and tell myself that I can't enjoy it as much as I would on a nice 75 degree day. But hey, that's just me! I do enjoy my rides and they beat riding inside.

Anyway, take care and enjoy!

Ronin

Everyone:

I guess that Gordon, being south of me, has better road conditions than where I am. The roads are still narrowed by the snow not being plowed back to the curb (and all the people who left their cars on the street till after the plows came by). The warmer temperatures also provide a lot of snow melt. Hence I'm still riding in the garage. We went to a vendor display night at the LBS (Local Bike Shop) there are some cool toys there for indoor training but none of them work with my rollers and they are all expensive!!! The viewing of all the bike stuff did make me anxious for Spring to happen.

More snow on the way for tomorrow and we've got a funeral to boot. There is another one on Saturday. Getting old enough that one of the social outlets is attending wakes -- boy does this make me feel old. Time for a shower. Keep safe out there folks.

Bill A

Well I did it, I got my old and I mean old mountain bike out and went for a ride. Nothing too noteworthy just an hour through the neighborhoods but it was nice to get out and ride my, oh did I mention old mountain bike.

I actually bought it at a salvation army for 30 bucks 20 some years ago but it is a TREK only somewhat covered in rust. I feel it's like an alarm, no one ever seems to look at it twice.

apollo322

You guys are a lot braver than me! I've been looking forward to spring but haven't ridden at all this cold winter. I'll be here in a few weeks, I hope!:)

rwallen

Hi all!

I am going to Phoenix next week and hope to ride one of my brother-in-law's bikes. His condition was that I wear bike shoes. He would not change out the pedals for me. So, I bought a pair of shoes for the SPDs I have never used. His pedals are the same. I went out for a test ride tonight. Guess what? I liked being clipped in! I didn't know if I would or not.

Pedal on!!

raffi

Rick,

From what I hear, most people really love being clipped in. Glad you like it. I have not tried them yet as I have funny feet that I worry about being able to get out of them. That said, the powergrips I bought are nicer than the toe cages I have been using. Maybe one day I'll try the clipless.

Today I really did not feel like getting on the bike, but my wife encouraged me go anyway. Boy am I glad I did. I felt like a new man when I got back from my ride.

Gordonm

Being clipped in is no big deal. You come out pretty easy with a little practice. I don't get what the big scare or reason for not being clipped in. You get a lot more out of every pedal while being clipped in. It now feels every strange when I ride a mountain bike and not clipped in.

Still in Vegas and spent the day in meetings. Ugh. I don't care if it is 0 when I get home I will ride.

Bill A

I watched a friend come to one of the first stops he did clipped in and it was hysterical as he came to a stop and fell over like the laugh in kid. I understand the benefit of using the draw on the upstroke to apply force

360* when clipped in but I still like wearing regular shoes as I ride a mountain bike on trails and falling is to be expected, at least the way I ride.

ORjt

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure, either, where the fear of clipless pedals comes from. I had no problems adapting to clipless when I got back on the back in '09; it feels totally natural to me to swing my heel out (but perhaps others try to yank their foot backwards? That's not gonna work). The one thing that I've always tried to pass on to people is to set the release tension to the min setting - of the sets of pedals I've purchased, I think they came factory set either at the mid or high end of the range.

I'm a big guy and on the min setting - I've never had an accidental un-clip (nor have I fallen because I couldn't un-clip).

Ride when you can - and stay safe out there!

--JT

raffi

For me, the statement 'swing my heel out' just does not compute. My feet point out like \/ only more so. Trying to point my toes forward takes some real effort and needing to move the heel out (especially in a panic) to get off the bike is a disaster waiting to happen. I need to be able to get out with a panic pull.

ORjt

Raffi,

Just as a clarification - you can mount your cleats such that your feet are in whatever orientation is comfortable. To unclip, you only need to move your heel outwards by a little bit. It depends on the maker, and in some cases the model as well. I went with Shimano road pedals. The cleats have a pretty wide angular adjustment for position; cleats are available with either 0 or 6 degree 'float' (free movement); so in the one case the outward movement would be almost non-existent. Even in the 6 degree case, it's really not that much to get the cleat to clip out. (I'd guess 1/4").

But of course, we all have our own unique situations. I was used to old-school toe-clips and straps; I thought that it would take a lot to get used to the unclipping motion, and also to the 'float' in the cleats. I was surprised at how easily I assimilated ... and I like having a little freedom movement in the pedals. (Shimano has 'centering' float - there's a bit of spring tension that brings your foot back to the nominal position to which you have the cleats aligned. There are other brands - Speedplay, I think, that are non-centering, and have considerably more 'float').

Hmm - maybe bike shops should have 'loaner' pedals and cleats so you could try out different systems...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Bill A

The concept of riding with your heels out makes me think of riding a horse with spurs on, that can become more of a problem than unclipping. Did my bike ride this morning, was gone for about an hour give or take. The

winds are coming up this afternoon so I got it done this morning. I think it's going to be near 80 today and similar tomorrow.

raffi

I was aware that you could adjust the angle on many of the cleats. My concern is I already have to push my heels out more than is comfortable just to keep from constantly hitting the back of the bike. Needing to kick them out even further to get out (not to mention in a panic), seems like it will not go well.

That said, our LBS does have a setup to try out clipless and get properly fitted with them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.