Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2013 Bicycling

raffi

It was 50 degrees and sunny when I got home from work. I went for my ride sans studs, tights and long sleeves. That's right, mid February and I was in shorts and a short sleeve jersey.

While the roads were free of ice, the same could not be said of mud. There were a few spots where things got deep enough to fill the fenders. Talk about a good workout, ride up a 20% grade with soft roads and mud filling the fenders until the wheels are stopping. I thought I was going to have to walk the bike through that section, but I managed to keep moving.

lorilei

Absolutely stellar riding weather today. One of those days where it's unexpectedly sunny and not too windy...you kind of start off just hoping to grab a decent ride and end up on the road for quite a while longer b/c you simply can't get enough of the weather. A million times better than riding the trainer in the garage ~ these are the days we live for. Oddly, I only saw a total of 3 other riders out today~

raffi

It was sunny this morning, though not quite as warm as yesterday. I was looking forward to a nice warm 20 mile ride after chauffeuring kids around. By the time I got on the bike, it was still sunny, but there was some threatening looking clouds. I rode in shorts and a long sleeve jersey over my normal jersey. As I rode things got more threatening and I got hit with a few drops as some storm cells passed by east and west of me. I made it back without actually getting wet. A few minutes after getting home, I looked out the windows to see it hailing. It's always nice to miss the worst of it and get in a good ride.

rwallen

Well it looks like I won't be riding for a week or two. The weather today was beautiful and I was going to get outside and get in a nice lengthy ride but my body had other plans. I ended up at urgent care this morning with a severe UTI that had moved to my prostate. The Dr. said that it progressed quickly because of my lowered immune system because of D and my BG readings have been higher now because I'm sick. Now, they'll probably be even higher because I'm not riding. :(

ORjt

@Rick, - yikes! Take care, and get well soon.

Had a productive weekend - out on Saturday for 20 miles - it was wet, sloppy, and reasonably warm (mid 50's). It was the best I've felt on the bike since being sick way back in January. (I didn't really get rained on, per se, but the roads were quite wet from early rainfall ... )

Sunday, the weather was mostly nicer - it was dry, but cooler and variable. I did a 'mock commute' to check out a possible commute route for later in the year. This went well, it was about 40 minutes (on the good bike); about 10.5 miles. Turned out a little shorter than I thought it was. This looks doable - now I just need morning light, and a bit warmer temps. C'mon, spring!

Stay safe out there!

--JT

rwallen

Thanks Lori and JT!

Good news! My primary doctor has cleared me to ride. My schedule over the next few days may not permit me to get in as many rides as I would like but at least I can if I have the opportunity. It reall sucked knowing that I couldn't ride even if I wanted to.

Stay safe!

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Looks as though everyone has had an interesting week. Rick: I'm glad you are feeling better and I'll throw in a plug for the Selle SMP saddle for those of us with prostate issues.

While the roads got better this week I got sidelined because of a cable guide break on my single. That isn't a difficult repair but the cable end was jammed inside the brifter and refused to come out so I got professional help -- I had them complete the drivetrain upgrade that I was planning on doing of course they had to order parts (I would have had to have done the same) and of course, my bike had to get in line. So, today was the first day on rollers because it is raining again. Perhaps, if everything clears toninght, I/we will get to ride tomorrow (temperature dependent).

FWIW: The problem I was having with my wrist seems to be connected to the cable guide problem -- typical, things go bad slowly and you don't notice how bad they really are because it is a continuation of normal. Maybe next time I'll recognize the symptoms earlier.

rwallen

Thanks for the advice Ronin!

I think I got in a ride on the spin bike before my previous post but I haven't been doing my daily rides during the last week. That will hopefully change starting tomorrow. I did do a few climbs with my brother-in-law on a 33 mile loop from his house to Tortilla Flat on Friday while we were visiting him and his wife in AZ. We got back today and I got in a quick 21.5 mile ride after we got back into town. While I didn't get in a ride on Sat. my wife and I did do a pretty strenuous hike with the b-i-l and his wife.

Take care and stay safe!

ORjt

Hi all,

Too many chores, and overly volatile weather on Saturday precluded riding - out running errands and had everything from clear/sunny to dark and rainy.

Sunday was much nicer - low 50's, broken clouds with some high haze. Fairly windy - I'd estimate 15mph, and that wind still has some 'bite' to it. Got in a nice 25 miles, saw about a dozen other folks out getting their ride on. Starting to see a lot of evidence that spring isn't really that far off - the grass is starting to grow, and daffodils are poking their heads out of the ground :)

Next weekend starts our weekly Tour de Cure training rides; so far, the weather guessers are predicting a nice day - sunny, and 60. Cautiously optimistic, but not holding my breath. Regardless of the weather, I'll ride - I look forward to these rides.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Today was the first time on the road with the upgraded drive-train. Wow, what a difference all the new stuff makes. I did change the cassette to one that is a bit tighter than the previous and now I actially have a use for the "granny" ring as my largest cog is a 23 and there are some good grades to be found in our area and the 30x23 is a lot easier than the middle 42x23 combination. The top end 52x11 is still really fast and only for downgrades and good flat roads.

We got out on the tandem yesterday, but since the temperatures dropped today, Linda decided to stay inside.

Glad to read that everyone else is doing well. Keep those pedals spinning.

Bill A

Well the weather is becoming more California like. I managed a 1.5 hr ride this morning, very slight breeze crystal clear and likely 68 * it's supposed to hit 70 today with around 80 by the weekend so itlooks like spring may be sneaking in. Good news for all.

Ronin

Bill, et al.,

Okay Bill, rub it in... Here in NJ it is overcast with temperatures in the low 40's and there is a storm coming up from the south promising lots of rain. I got out on the single again and I'm getting the feel of the new gearing and finding the right times and efforts to shift. Tomorrow with be either a rest day or another stage of TdG -- I'll decide that tomorrow depending on how my legs feel and my general attitude.

Time to get cleaned up and I also have to give Molly (the cat who rules here) her lunch.

Bill A

I watch the weather during the news hour and it seems that you guys cant get a break, we see a storm and get a quarter inch of rain and when it gets to you guys it seems a couple of feet of snow. I think or at least I hope this winter is near over as most like the sun in their face. Enjoy the rest as I'm sure you will be out soon. As for the cat, we have one as well and it seems he's kinda the boss at least until he challenges our old cattle dog for her bed........ she's not inclined to lose much.

Bill A

Well I went bike riding again today, I changed it up a bit as in our area there is an old inner city rail system that was abandoned many years ago and now it's a trail system through the hilly sections of the city. It is used for bicycles, runners and horses as there are still stables in a few places. The great thing is it is lined with mature yukes and oaks and a lot of ground plants and it isn't paved. I think it likely is 10/15 miles all total having several sections connected by streets. I did maybe 5 miles on it today and will increase that as I progress. Had a really good ride as my strength and stamina is increasing rapidly.

Bill A

I had so much fun yesterday on the bike trail I'm gonna do it again, just more trail and less street. it's going to be near 80 according to the weatherman so I'm sure it'll be nice

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Another tandem friendly day! While Linda limited the distance to 16 miles (actually quite good for this early in a season without a lot of tandeming) it was really nice to get out on the tandem. Linda has pretty good legs despite the long absence from being on the bike. The only problem is that of susatining the effort for long periods of time, I could tell (and she acknowledged) that by the end of the 16 miles she was getting tired. Tomorrow may be another tandem day based on the forecast. The good news is that with the coming of March the weather will improve a bit each day -- discernable additional daylight time increases the ambient temperatures.

Lori: Thanks for the like on my previous post. FWIW: Molly is nestled inside my bathrobe taking a snooze as I type because I'm still warm from the ride. But, it's time to disturb her nap, take a shower and prepare her lunch (she gets her meds in this meal so it is important).

Baken: We all agree that bicycling is a great form of both transportation and exercise. Using all those carbs makes my pancreas happy.

On the topic of Diabetes testing: I just found that the Bayer A1c Now kits come in packages of more than two tests -- up to 20 and they get quite affordable at these prices. As a Pre-D and areobic athlete I find a monthly check of the A1c is much more informative than daily FBG's. As to the 90-day assumption the fact is that well over 50% of your red blood cells are four-weeks or less old so there are month-to-month variations. The kit gets stored in the refrigerator and the kits are good for about two-years. Also if some of you live close by you could share the kits.

Bill A

OK, yesterday. I want on a 1 hour tour, the community I live in is flat with hilly sections full of trees, homes and some trails for outdoors enjoyment. Yesterday I rode towards the trail system but to do that you need to go through some hilly sections. There are some quite steep hills in the neighborhoods so I chose to adventure there as I was wearing my heart rate monitor so I found the steeper to steepest streets and rode up them watching my HRM, when it hit 135 I turned down and rode circles until it dropped to 105 and returned to the climb. Did that for 30 minutes and then went off to the trail system. The dirt was actually a lot less challenging after the warmup. What I am after is being able to turn it on until I don't need to anymore instead of when I get winded. Sounds goofy but it's how I worked out while I was diving a lot and for some reason I seem to feel better when I can do that type of exercise. Kinda sore today but that will change as I'm gonna do it again today.

raffi

I'm curious about your heart rate. What is your resting heart rate? Have you figured out your maximum heart rate?

Bill A

hi Raffi, to be honest I don't really know. I have talked with my endo about the subject and he feels that at times I might push the envelope. When I get into what I have considered shape for me I am ok with the 150 range in a sprint but i am 63 now and the last time I was in "shape" was in my 50's and I could run it at 145 all day and sprint to 160 for short bursts. I have a condition called PVC, which is pre ventricular contraction at rest which means a chamber in my heart doesn't function in the right sequence but it straightens out under stress. I was sent to a cardiologist for that situation and wore a monitor that recorded what was going on. It wad determined that I would survive but I did have a low resting heart rate. When I do treadmill my hr might be 58 when I turn the machine on and it is quite difficult to get it above 95 without running. The cardiologist didn't me taking any meds that might slow my heart rate as he indicated I might just shut off....... When I was dx I had high blood pressure, a fast heart rate, high cholesterol, high BG so I had a bucket of meds but that's all gone now. I do take a small asprin every day per the cardiologist but to answer your questions my ticker runs slow. I do have a pretty fast recovery rate as it will drop from 125 to 105 in like 20 or 30 seconds after a hard climb. I like the bike because it works the central core as well as the legs and butt are the largest muscle groups so the heart gets worked real well.

Gordonm

Still riding. Have not been on the bike as much as usual due to work, weather and personal issues. I also sold my house and am loooking into another one at the moment. Lots going on so the bike is a nice getaway. I did manage 28 yesterday and hope for some more today. Leaving for Maine on Sunday for work so I will be off for a few days. The days are getting longer which is always a good sign. I rode to 5:30 yesterday and still was in daylight.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

I got out again today despite some snowflakes in the air. The temperature was dropping fast from the mid 40's down to the high 30's in minutes. The winds were not as bad as yesterday so that was an impvovement. I have to agree with Gordon on the daylight hours, it is really good to have more hours of daylight as well as increasing temperatures.

Raffi: You didn't ask me but I'll tell you anyway -- my resting heart rate is in the low 50's and I set off the bracacardia alarm every time I have an EKG (we all get a laugh when the alarm beeps the minute they turn it on). As to maximum heart rate -- I've had spikes in the 170's with no problems and I'm over 65. BP is low normal and the cholesterol ratios are fantastic (over 50% HDL). On the downside, as shown in my signature block, February wasn't a good month for glucose control as the A1c went up from January's test. But with a lot of riding on the horizon the next test should be much better.

Gordon: Congratulations on the house sale. Where are you moving? Have a sucsessful business trip in Maine.

Bill A

Ronin, I am actually trying to build up my leg muscle to get back to a shape I will be happy with. I recently retired again but was really not doing much exercise for several years as I got a gig building some custom cars and that's like an addiction to me. I now work out in some manner or other every day to keep it fun and it doesn't hurt to work different muscle groups. It's all kinda tied together and as long as I do something I feel I'm going in the right direction. We just bought a couple of ocean kayaks to play with and I dug my old rollerblades down so that is actually an incredible center core exercise. When I was in my late 40's I was doing wind sprints on 5 wheel racing skates at the beach covering near 20 miles a night and I was reaching what I felt were scary speeds. I had a friend, a work associate that was into road bikes and he was really into owning the spotlight. He rode his racing bike to work a couple of times from the high desert to the beach crossing two small but formidable mountain ranges to get there, it was right at a hundred miles and he did get into the papers here in Los Angeles. The guy was as nutty as a fruitcake but amazingly impressive as well. We were likely in our late 30's or early 40's then, I am actually a bit older than him. I almost forgot, it was 86 here yesterday and 87 today but rain is predicted for late Sunday or Monday.

raffi

Today it was not as nice as a month ago, but it was warmer and I did my 20 mile ride, a good way to start out the month. Spring is coming and I'm looking for the right conditions to start commuting into work by bike again.

Ronin, I remember from previous conversations that your heart rate and mine are not that far apart, but it does sound like your resting is a few points below mine. While I have not figured out what my max heart rate it, I'm guessing it is in the upper 170s. Any time I head into that area, I'm maxed out on what I can give and feeling like I could pass out.

Bill A

Raffi and or Ronin, how would you determine what your maximum heart rate is, I have just run it up until I feel short of breath. That's your body telling you you need to back down just a bit so perhaps it has to do with the efficiency of the avioli and oxygen exchange in the lungs? I know to get there a person needs real strong legs as they are the primary consumers of oxygen and or nutrients and producers of work again ? I remember running my heart rate at 145-150 without any real effort and that was riding into the wind on a path on the beach. If the wind became too strong my HR would increase and if it got into the 160/ 170 range I wouldn't last very long so I would click a gear down and the rate would fall. I was riding a 21 speed mntn. bike with knobby tires if thats makes any difference but it was 21 miles on a path. I would work for 9 hours as a commission mechanic and then ride back home along the beach path. The ride home was into an afternoon wind so it always took longer. How do you guys know where the top of your world is with respect to heart rate?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.