Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2013 Bicycling

raffi

There are formulas (that don't work and are not worth the bits to display them) for calculating it, but the real answer comes from how high your heart rate gets right before you pass out. :) Or at least that's what I gleaned from my reading. There are several zones that people use for exercise, and one of them might well be described as being short of breath. I certainly get to puffing like an asthmatic locomotive on some of the hills I climb. For me, that's with my heart rate up in the high 160s or low 170s. I have set my heart rate monitor to alarm around 172, though hearing that alarm go off is usually not a surprise as I know I'm pushing that hard.

Bill A

It seems I remember the statement I made about breathing and shortness of breath. when I was riding a fair amount I used a heart rate monitor like a tachometer for my heart at the suggestion of my friend that raced. I know the numbers increased as time went by but to be honest I was at that time interested in personal fitness and not winning a race. I believe the saying is to finish first we must first finish, my meaning is the object of getting there as quickly as possible meant not sitting on a stump waiting for my breath to catch up.......... I have had the experience of feeling so out of breath that I figured I was finished but maybe that's the passing out thing you mentioned. As noted in an earlier post I still vividly remember the feeling of being helped back to the boat in the ocean as I was exhausted, I promised myself that wouldn't happen again so if I get into the water I need to be prepared and the wife and myself have booked two trips to ocean holidays this summer so I'm back on the pedals again. Thanks for all the thoughts. We will be doing gym workouts 4 times a week and swimming at least twice.

Gordonm

Ronin not moving to far. I was living in Marlton for years and am now living in Voorhees and am looking at houses right in the Voorhees area. So it's not far from where I was. Just a change of life plans recently.

Jake5794

Hi All

i am new to this forum.... Reading the biking goals has made me want to start riding agian. My goals are modest as I would like to get to 50 to 75 miles a week. Last week was my first week and I only had 18.5 miles ( I have a ways to go) I want to thank all who have posted as they have given me inspiration to start again.

ORjt

Jake, welcome to the thread/forum !

Your goal sounds pretty reasonable -- that works out to ~2500 miles in the year - 3 or 4 rides per week. Pretty much my goal :)

Care to tell us a little more about where you are, and what kind of riding you are doing? (road, MTB, trails .. ?)

As for me - two rides this weekend, both around 22 miles. Saturday was our first Tour de Cure training ride - 61 of us, along the east side of the Willamette river, in Portland. As well as hundreds (and hundreds, and hundreds) of walkers, runners, strollers, joggers, bikers, skateboarders ... (it's a hugely popular MUP along the river). The 'formal' ride was only 9ish miles - three of us went on an extended 'after' ride to get in more miles

Sunday - out for a solo ride. Got rained on - but not badly. Not a bad weekend at all. Looking forward to more light ...

Take care, and stay safe out there !

--JT

rwallen

Jake - Welcome! It's intersting to look back from where you started to where you are. My goals were modest originally and when I look back I never thought that I would be able to do some of the distances or the climbs that I do now. Most important, is to ride the distances and the pace that you are comfortable with. If you decide to increase either, fine. If not, that's ok too! Riding should be about fun and health. The addiction comes later! :)

All - I was able to get out yesterday. I have been on the spin bike all week. It was a little cool but it felt good to get out. Hopefully, Patti and I can get the tandem out soon and start preparing for our Katy Trail ride.

Have a great week and stay safe!

Ronin

Jake, et al.,

Welcome to the thread. Yes this can be an addiction, but a positive one. As was noted by others the one way to be sure to keep up the activitiy is to enjoy it.

Out on the single again today -- too cold and windy for Linda. It was a real charachter builder with gusts over 30mph coming out of the WNW. There were a few times I had to fight to stay upright. Tomorrow is forecast to be much better.

Gordonm

No road miles today but I just bought a Trek Fuel mountain bike. It is second hand but only 1 year old and is in excellent condition. I could not resist taking out for a spin today. As lousy as the weather is, mid 30s and 30 mph winds and rain I just had to take it out. Rode for about an hour and it is great. I have been riding my sons bike in the woods for a bit and decided I needed to get serious. This bike handles the ruts and bumps great. I'll post up a picture of it soon. Not giving up at all on the road bike just something different. This is nice because weather is not as much of a factor, sloppy is better. I now have 4 bikes and need to purge 2 of them. Garage is getting crowded.

Here it is. crappy phone camera picture

trekfuel_zpsa1144f36.jpg

Ronin

Gordon, et al.,

Congratulations on the off-road bike Gordon. Have a lot of fun with it. Perhaps the mottos are true: you can never be too rich, too thin or have too many bicycles.

As Gordon noted the weather here in NJ is pretty miserable. So far all we have here in Morris Counyt is rain, and not even a heavy rain. It looks as though the low center is already moving off the coast, but we never know exactly what will happen with these storm systems. So, it was TdG again. Actually this one was the best of this season with an average speed of 29.83mph for one hour: 38 seconds -- that is the definition of "going nowehere fast!"

We will see what tomorrow brings. Now it's time for a shower.

Bill A

I ride an old trek that I bought many years ago and I have found riding local trails is way more fun that riding street. The bike in the photo looks like it would be a lot of fun to ride, fully suspended, disc brakes. I've actually been looking for something along that line. I have also owned a Specialized Mntn bike as well and liked it a bunch as well

raffi

It's definitely getting spring like. Today it was in the mid 40s and sunny. The roads are starting to dry out and firm up a bit so a few more routes have opened up. It's nice to have more daylight.

While I've gotten a good start to March, I have yet to do the morning commute, but I am keeping a keen eye on the roads and weather. I am really hoping I'll get my first one for the year this month.

RandolphB

Hello all- just jumping in to say howdy to the bicycle group. The wife and I are riding to get ready for the Central Florida Tour De Cure in a week. We've had some issues along the way- I got carjacked, we had a bad cycling wreck together and a few other silly things. We are both a bit underprepped, but the ride is coming up and we are going for it.

I am on a 2009 Bianchi 1885 Alu roadie, and the wife will be riding a new Felt ZW95 woman's roadie. We have signed up for the 50 mile event, which is pushing things for us. We can handle 35 miles pretty well- so 50 should be possible for us.

Along the way over the last 4 months or so I've lost 18 pounds and dropped my A1C from 8.2 to 7.2. The doctor was happy and impressed at my work. He bluntly told me everybody says they will work on their fitness, but like 1 in 100 actually do it. That made all the pain and work worth it.

See everybody on the road!

raffi

RandolphB, welcome

Wow, sounds like some scary issues! Glad you are ok.

I would agree that is you can do 35, 50 should be possible. In fact, I'd say 50 for the even should be no problem. Enjoy.

Good job on the weight and a1c improvements, keep it up and the improvements should keep up as well.

ORjt

Hi All, and welcome, RandolphB!

Agreed with Raffi's observations - scary stuff, and you'll be fine on the 50.

As for me, plans for our Tour de Cure training ride on Saturday - I'll be riding herd on the cats. We expect about 50 riders again this week, for a 12 mile 'stroll' around a local island. Hard to get lost :).

Sunday may bring a day of work - so it's a bit up in the air just yet.

And of course, with DST kicking in this weekend, next week brings rain :mad: (or at least, the threat of it ... )

Take care, and stay safe out there!

--JT

rwallen

Welcome RandolphB!

All, the weather has been nice the last few days. So, I have been able to get outside. I did a nice leisurely 36 miles yesterday with a couple of the ladies in our bike "club". Today I rode alone and rode one of my default routes and then threw in a few nice climbs for a total of 26 miles.

Tomorrow, one of the ladies I rode with yesterday and I are heading to St. Louis for a CyclingSavvy class. Afterwards, we're gonna tool around the city on our bikes.

Anyway, I think Spring is just around the corner.

Have fun and stay safe!

Gordonm

Looks like a nice warm few days ahead. Clocks go ahead so there will be more daylight. Maybe we are done with the winter riding and spring is coming soon.

Ronin

Randolph, et al.,

Randolph: Welcome to the thread. You are doing great and your MD is right, most people talk a good game when it comes to fitness and most don't do anything about it. Congratulations! Sad to read about your troubles.

Today was the first glorious day of the 2013 season. Temperatures in the mid 50's with a light, but useful, ENE Wind that gave us some nice tail winds on the final segments of the 22 mile loop. Linda was in fine form on the tandem and it looks like we will have similar weather for Sunday and Monday.

Have a great weekend everyone!

ORjt

Hi all,

Yesterday, here too, was stunningly gorgeous (though not quite 'warm' yet, that's ok - it's getting better!). Our TdC "training ride" had a record turnout - 85 folks out riding. I think our next best has been in the low 60's. It's quite few cats to keep going in the same direction; however, as I mentioned earlier, this ride was around an island - so a bit like NASCAR - just keep turning left :D . The nominal loop around the island was ~12 miles. I ended up with a total of just over 18 on the day, doubling back at points to check on folks.

Part of this island is a wildlife refuge - we were treated with sights of bald (and other?) eagles and hawks flying nearby - quite the sight.

Did I mention that it was gorgeous?

Came in to work today for a while - so I rode in as a 'rev 1' mock commute. Surprisingly close in time to the ride I did a few weeks back - today, laden with backpack, computer, clothes - etc; while couple weeks ago - just out for a ride to check out the route.

Looks like I'll be investing in a rack and pannier for the older bike - it's got all the eyelets for mounting a rack, while the carbon bike does not. This is a good outcome, I think ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

JT, et al.,

We're happy to know that spring is happening all over. Today started out miserable with a heavy wet fog that seemed like it would never lift. Suddenly it lifted, the clouds parted and the roads dried so we took that tandem out for a 22 mile spin. Linda is coming back strong after a long off-season. Our speeds are not up to peak yet but it feels good to be out on the roads. Tomorrow we have an appointment and it's forecast to rain (perfect timing) and after three days of tandmeming it is time for a recovery day.

One thing did help the motivation, as well as Linda's pedaling, the Paris-Nice last stage was broadcast (and recorded) last night so we watched the final uphill time-trial prior to going out. Time-trials always seem to get Linda's cadence higher as well as reminding her to keep her upper body still while she pedals with all the force she can muster.

JT: Commuting by bicycle is something I have only done on a very few occasions at the end of my working career.

Bill A

Had a real fun time doing a trail ride yesterday, the spring time is upon us and the bee's and flowers are budding and buzzing. It's a wonderful time of what I like to think of as renewal.

Ronin

Bill A, et al.,

Spring is happening. Today was better than we expected. Despite the heavy rains of yesterday the roads we use were not flooded as sometimes happens. They were cleaned though which is a real bonus. Today was Linda's last ride for a few days as she gets four dental implants installed tomorrow. Give that it is not a good thing to get the BP too high after surgery she will probably stay off the tandem through the weekend. She did have good legs today although the strong West wind did limit the ride to 16 miles.

I'm going to try and get out tomorrow afternoon when it will be colder than today.

Stay upright everyone!

Bill A

Ronin, the winds can be a chore. Some years back I rode to work 2 days a week, it was 21 miles 1 way on the beach via a bike path. The mornings were just incredible but after working 9 hours as a commission mechanic doing the hustle all day the ride home could be a challenge. The challenge started riding out a path riding parallel to the channel into the onshore wind followed by a left turn and the rest of the ride was into the wind. I was usually beat real soundly when I got home. Hence every other day

raffi

Shorts and shirt sleeves again today, it was almost 60! I've been getting in some miles and riding almost every day. It's really starting to look like spring.

Gordonm

Riding sick right now. Trying to fight off this nagging cold now but I am still riding. Took off two days but it does clear my head some and makes me feel better. Not my best performance riding but it is still some exercise. Got in 19 miles yesterday before the rain sprinkles came. I will keep at it.

rwallen

Gordon - I hope you feel better!

Ronin - I saw a mention of Paris Nice so I stayed away from this thread until I had finished watching my recorded stages. I was afraid to read any further to see if there was any mention of the winner. :)

All - Unfortunately, I have been on the spin bike since last Sat. Patti and I plan to get the tandem out this afternoon as the temps. will be pushing close to 70. I'm contemplating taking the day off tomorrow. The temps. will be well over 70. I need to take off a vacation day sometime between now and the end of the month anyway. Tomorrow looks like as good of day as any. If I take off I will plan on doing a ride of around 50 miles, more or less. Last time I checked I'm about 150 miles behind last year, partly due to my UTI and mostly due to the ODO on the SB. Still, I'm not going to use that as an excuse. My goal is to do 200 miles a week once I can get outside consitantly. I believe my yearly goal is achievable but my UTI reminded me that plans CAN change. :)

Here's hoping that the weather wherever you're at allows you to get outside and ride!

Take care!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.