Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2013 Bicycling

RandolphB

Checking in again-

I've been out a couple of times over the last 4 days. The colder weather has made asthma an issue for me. I have to learn how to run right up to the trigger point and not exceed it. Even though both my Wife and my bikes have around 500 miles on them since we got them late last year, I have been cleaning/ lubing/ prepping them for the Tour de Cure on Sunday. We got our numbers (704 and 705) today, along with a red jersey for myself as an actual diabetic. Hope to put on some easy "Recovery" type miles tomorrow and rest on Saturday. Meet our Team Captain for the ride today by chance..he is about 80 or so years old. Had a great conversation with some sage advice for the ride. Guess it's pretty cool that diabetes has brought me back to cycling and gotten my wife involved in a serious manner too!

rwallen

Hi all!

RandolphB - Good for you for getting back into riding and especially that your wife is wanting to also. I rode some back in 2000 in attempt to lose weight, and I did. I averaged around 11 miles per trip and I remember trying to ride daily but I'm not sure if I did. At that time I didn't have diabetes. So, when I needed to exercise because of being diagnosed I turned to cycling again. Now, it's become a healthy obsession. My wife has become involved in that she loves to tandem. She's not as excited about riding her single and that's ok. I really enjoy our time on the tandem.

All - Patti and I did get the tandem out yesterday. It is the 2nd time this year. We did 21 1/2 miles and we were strong. I took her on a few hills and she grumbled a little but she did really good! One of my colleagues saw us and rode with us about 10 miles. He and his wife also tandem and he commented on our quick pace. So, I feel like we did really well for our start to the tandeming season.

I did decide to take the day off. I am going to try to get out early and ride most of the day off and on. So, I may not do a true non-stop century but I might rack up close to that many miles today overall. My plan is to get out early and hook up with other riders during the day. I'll post later on how the day turns out. BTW, it's supposed to be 80 here.

A sign I saw the other day: 4 wheels move the body. 2 wheels move the soul!

Take care and be safe!

ORjt

Hi all,

RandolphB: have fun on the Tour - it's a great event. (Ours is in late July).

Rick: If you get in 100 miles, that's a century :) -- I don't think anyone rides non-stop. (My vague recollection from back in the 70's was that to be "accredited", it was 100 miles in 12 hrs. I still have a shoulder patch from, I think, the League of American Wheelmen, from the Century I did as teenager). Anyway, it's all good ... and I like the sign you saw. So true.

As for me, despite the nice light at the end of the day, and the mild weather this week, I've been totally swamped at work (like 12-14 hr days this week :eek: ). Supposed to be pretty wet this weekend, but hopefully can find a dry enough spell to get out and ride for at least a while -- I need some exercise ...

Everyone else - take care, and stay safe! Have a good weekend ...

--JT

Diana_CT

I have been thinking about buying a bike to ride on the rails-to-trails in the area and I have no idea what size bike to get (I’m 6’). I’m looking in the $250 - $350 price range.

This is the bike that I’m thinking about getting…

Schwinn Women's Bicycle: Versatile City Bike at Sears

Is that the right size for me?

Also does anyone use a bike hitch on a Prius?

raffi

Your best bet is to find a good local bicycle shop and get them to sell you a (used or new) bike along with a proper fitting. If the local shop does not throw the fitting in with the purchase, they may not qualify as a "good" local bicycle shop. Getting a good fitting is important for long term enjoyment.

Diana_CT
Your best bet is to find a good local bicycle shop and get them to sell you a (used or new) bike along with a proper fitting. If the local shop does not throw the fitting in with the purchase, they may not qualify as a "good" local bicycle shop. Getting a good fitting is important for long term enjoyment.

I tried the four bicycle shops in the area and they all carried bikes that started way way over my price range. They didn't have any starter bikes in the brands that they carried like Scott, Cannondale, Specialized and Trek

What about the size? Is 700 good for me at 6 foot?

raffi

I'm no expert on sizing. I do know all of the bike shops around here (both the good and bad) have used bikes for a pretty reasonable price. Do none of the ones by you have any used bikes?

A google search for bike fitting will give you lots of information on how to properly fit a bike and what size should be good.

Diana_CT

When I visited the shops last spring, all their used bikes were also in the high end. One store their used bike started at $500 and they even had a waiting list for used bikes. I put my name down on their list but I never got a call.

raffi

Wow, that's the range the new bikes start at the bike shop I like. They have used ones around $100. Guess your best bet is looking up fitting/sizing on the internet unless someone else has more useful info.

Ronin

Diana, et al.,

Hi Diana, welcome to the thread. Your best bet would be to contact some of the bicycle clubs in your area -- my guess is that there will be more than a few people with extra bikes in their stables. At 6' my guess is that you have fairly long legs and leg length is the key to bike fit. Chances are that some other woman cyclist has a bike that you can either borrow or purchase for less money than a brand new bike. Personally, I have no respect at all for any chain store bike -- generally they are junk and poorly setup. Another avenue is to find a bicyclist in your area who is a good mechanic and get a bike that s/he can rework/repair into a good trail bike.

Gordon: Take care of that cold. I know the desire to ride often overules the need for rest and healing, but the season is long.

Bill A: We call high wind days: "Charachter Builders."

Raffi: Short sleeves in the high 50's. You are braver than I am. I'm in light tights and long sleeves into the mid-60's.

Everyone: Linda came through the implant installation very well. The pain was manageable and passed in about 12 hours. She had to have the temporary bridge adjusted to accomodate the healing abutments that protude above the gum line. Now the final wait (3-4 months) and then the final abutments and permanent implant bridge will be installed and it will be all over. Of course the bank accounts are smaller than when we started this. Linda is off the bike for at least a week to make sure that the sutures are all healed so she's a bit bummed over that as we were just beginning to get into "Tandem Shape." That's life!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Bill A

There is so much in the way of used bikes on both Ebay and Craigslist you should be able to find a workable solution. Just don't go buy a poop pile, do your homework and be selective but it will be more difficult being as the snow is melting as we speak. Personally I have bought a lot of good brands and then rebuilt them after I got them home........ mostly scuba stuff but it still is the same process.

Ronin, glad to see your lady's issues are being resolved. I think I'd rather face a junk yard dog than a dentist, we all have our own quirks. When you guys are riding do you monitor your BG or are you stable enough to do supplements on interval.

ORjt

Hi Diana, welcome to the thread!

Since no one's answered this part of the question - the '700' in the description of the bike you linked to, really has nothing to (or very, very little) with the actual 'size' of the bike - the 700 refers to the wheel/tire size - 700c diameter; with a very wide range of possible widths in that size. Unfortunately, it says little about whether the bike would actually 'fit' you (or you, to it).

I'm a bit surprised that your local shops don't have a better 'entry level' selection; here (Portland, OR) even the higher end shops typically carry bikes much closer to your price range than you indicate.

I'm in the camp that strongly recommends finding a shop that you can work with - they'll make sure the bike is appropriate to you (fit-wise, and for the style of riding that you want to do). The bike will be properly set up, adjusted, and they'll typically do free adjustments (which will be needed) for some period of time - say 6 months, to a lifetime). If you buy from a "chain store" - you'll be on your own, and may end up either frustrated, or sinking in more money that you'd budgeted for.

I wish you luck - do let us know what you find - the suggestions to seek out a local club, or community cycling center may yield good results.

Regards,

--JT

Bill A

Giving some more thought I believe that ORjt is on the right path. I having been a mechanic for all my life and I don't give enough thought to fixing stuff if it doesn't work just right. I think a bike shop makes real good since. If there isn't one local to you perhaps you can find one in a neighboring community that has more of what you might want. The sears ad you posted had a link for sizing a bike for yourself and it should take into consideration not only the length of your legs but the reach to the handlebars as well. I've been riding a Trek mountain bike for like 20 years and it is actually an inch shorter than I should ride and it is a pain for a longer ride. I have had 2 Treks and 1 Specialized all mountain bikes and had really good luck with both brands.

Bill A

I just read a post from a member here about the Tour De Cure, I had never heard of it before now. How many people here are of have been involved with it? It sounds like a good way to help ones self and everyone else in the process. Any advice or thoughts on this subject as I don't know squat about it. I ride around 15 miles a day doing a split between street and trails as it's a lot more interesting than a treadmill.

RandolphB
I just read a post from a member here about the Tour De Cure, I had never heard of it before now. How many people here are of have been involved with it? It sounds like a good way to help ones self and everyone else in the process. Any advice or thoughts on this subject as I don't know squat about it. I ride around 15 miles a day doing a split between street and trails as it's a lot more interesting than a treadmill.

The Tour is hosted in a whole bunch of places across the USA. I'm doing the one in Orlando on Sunday. They have many length rides, starting with 10 miles and up. I'm doing the 50 as a first time rider, just to push my limits. It is hosted by a number of local and national sponsers at each location. I am told the Rest Stops along the way have themes, and you vote for your favorite one at the end. It's hosted as a ride, not a race amd is supposed to be FUN.

It's a fundraiser, and you have to raise at least 200 dollars to ride it (but I just looked at it as an entry fee until my friends started to come through!). As a diabetic, you get a special jersey for doing the ride. So far, everybody involved has been really nice also. I doscovered it in a cycling forum where a fellow was encouraging me to keep riding a number of months ago. He posted a "Before" picture at over 400 pounds and a recent photo on his bike with a Tour De Cure number on his shirt...I looked it up from there and commited to it. Our local teams even have training rides to get you ready for it all.

I am taking it as a stepping stone to improve my health.I plan on long term cycling, but it really helped get my wife interested in cycling and getting in better shape for herself. By next year I hope to commit to the Century (100 mile!) version of the event. Here's a link that should be the National Home Page:

Tour de Cure: American Diabetes Association:

Bill A

Randolph, first off thanks for the response. The whole idea sounds like it would be fun. I'm not a cyclist per say but I do ride a bike 4-5 times a week. I am retired but the wife still works and I enjoy doing activities with her. I most assuredly wouldn't be up to a 50 miler and I ride an older mountain bike but I am considering getting involved as it would be good for me and living where I do a person can ride all year. There is a ride in this area in two different places so there is a variance available. Well good luck on Sunday.

Gordonm

I have ridden the Tour de Cure a couple of times. Some of them are better than others. The last one I rode was quite good. The route they had was a very nice ride. So nice we got lost and added 2 miles for a total of 65 miles. It took us a little over 4 hours to do and we rode with many different people along the way. I would encourage any and all to do it just today you did it. Many different levels also. You can do 10, 30 or 63 miles which is a metric century. Just a good time overall. We are set to do the next one around here in June.

rwallen

Diana - Welcome to the thread! A local bike shop IS the way to go. For no other reason than to find out what kind of bike you need and what size. It doesn't mean that you have to buy your bike there. Actually, I bought my last 3 bikes from one LBS and take my bikes there for all of their free adjustments but I have another LBS that I actually prefer and try to give all of my business to. IMO, your overall bike experience will be as different as daylight and dark between a department store bike and a name brand bike. It was for me (although I logged hundreds of miles on my Walmart bike) and it was for my wife. Once you know what kind of bike you want and what size, you can shop around online, through local ads, or the LBSs. Be cautious on what type of bike you buy. Be specific on what type of riding you'll do. My wife bought a nice comfort bike and is not happy with it. It is actually more work for her than what a nice cross bike or road bike would be. I have been pushing cross bikes as an all round good multi-purpose bike. It suits my style of riding (a few mild trails, paved bike paths, roads). The geometry of the bike and your fit is important though, and will make all the difference in your experience. Good luck!

Concerning the TdC; I rode last year. I did the metric century. It was my first year and it was a great experience. Unfortunately, they are not having it here this year. I don't know why.

All: I logged 86 miles last Friday. It was a good day although I didn't do 100 miles. I felt as though I could have but I didn't feel the need to prove anything. There are plenty of centuries in my future for this year. I did do quite a few hills and had to deal with some strong winds during the latter part of my ride but it was all good! I have been able to get out a few times since but it sounds as though our weather is going to take a nasty turn. So, after today I'll probably be on the SB for a few days.

Happy riding to everyone! Be safe!

ORjt

Hi All,

Well, I was able to get out Friday evening, for a brief 10 mile ride ... in shorts! It was ~63, calm and a little humid (almost full cloud cover), so it was a warmish 63. Felt really good to ditch the tights for at least a day. Too many other chores, and dead tired from a long hard week to do much else. Looks like spotty riding for the next few days (rain, and commitments for after work and the weekend).

And about TdC -- I volunteer with the ADA office for Portland's Tour; we have group rides most weekends from March till our event (late July) - and these are a great way to get out and ride with other folks. This is my fourth year riding - it's really a great, and supportive group. I do also ride in a few other 'event' rides throughout the year. The most interesting aspect to me is the widely diverse 'audience' that the TdC picks up - it's not just a group of spandex clad roadies (we have our share of those, too - not a bad thing!) - but we have folks on city bikes, mountain bikes, families on tandems - even a guy on a unicycle - it's really a fun event to ride in.

Rick - it looks like the Missouri event has moved to Alton, IL (a bit north of St Louis -- is that where you rode last year?)

Stay safe out there!

--JT

RandolphB

I'm happy to say that I managed to complete the 50 mile Tour de Cure ride in Orlando last Sunday. I actually did much better than I expected to do. My wife also rode, and wanted to kee going at the end(!).

Overall the ride was nicely laid out, with a total of three rest stops with bathrooms along the route. The last two miles were the only bad ones...as it was uphill and into the ever increasing wind. I am still pretty sore/ depleated from the ride- and haven't been able to get back on the bike between work and the weather outside. My wife and I are hoping to do a 60 mile ride on a trail we discovered about 40 miles away to celebrate our 5th anniversury in a few more weeks. As much as I enjoy the benefits of cycling, my wife has really taken to it and is enjoying it. That really helps me in reaching my goals.

rwallen

RandolphB - congrats to you and your wife! Also, congratulations on your wife taking to cycling. It's extra special when both people share the passion.

JT- My TdC was in Republic outside of Springfield, where I live. I don't know why they're not doing it there this year. Alton is about 3 1/2 hours away, I think.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

What a week! We had a busy weekend that kept us from riding despite some glorious weather and then Linda started sneezing, then feeling cold, then coughing,... You know the drill and exactly two days after Linda succumbed, I joined her in misery. Today is the first day of feeling almost human. Linda's big problem with upper respiratory infections is that she takes medications that do not work and play well with antihistamines and cough suppressants, so despite starting later I healing a bit faster.

Responding to the Tour de Cure rides: We've never done one. Yes, we donate to the cause but have not participated. Why? Basically because we find charity rides iffy and uneven. They bring out well intentioned people many of whom have almost no bicycle etiquette or pack skills and many sign up for more miles than they can manage. Add a tandem to that mix and crashes are inevitable.

raffi

After last weeks beautiful weather, I could not get motivated to ride much in this week's more typical spring weather. However, after so few rides, I decided I needed to get out today despite the cold (low 30s) and iffy weather (50% chance of snow). I must have been dressed right since every time the sun peeked out, I was hot and when it dipped behind the clouds I was cold, so I guess I did the best I could. Now I feel good for having gotten in 20 miles.

Next week promises good weather, maybe I will finally get to start commuting in by bike.

Ronin

Oshi san, et al.,

Welcome to our bicycling thread. You are correct bicycling is great exercise and helps us all to control our BG levels as well as stay generally fit.

Everyone: I'm finally feeling better, sufficiently better that I went out for an 11 mile ride (it was way to windy for much more than that). None of my stats were impressive, just getting out and moving was good. Unfortunately, Linda isn't a whole lot better and we're probably going to spend tomorrow in the MD's office. Her condition has become, as it usually does, bronchitis and this plays havoc with her other medical issue because she doesn't get enough sleep.

Today (Sunday) is looking good but caring for Linda may keep me indoors despite the nice weather.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.