Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2013 Bicycling

ORjt

Hi All,

Saturday was way too busy to ride, despite the nice weather; on Sunday, I worked a shift at the local bike show (for our Tour de Cure group) - found a few things, but nothing too exciting. Got home and was able to get in a really nice 18 mile ride (54 degrees, light breeze).

It's spring break this week - so that portends rain, of course. Hopefully, can get in a ride this afternoon. The weekend is looking decent - but that's a long way off yet.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

raffi

25 degrees this morning, and I made my first commute in to work. Looks like the my current clothes/boots/gloves are up to the challenge, I had less discomfort than I did last year when it was closer to 40 degrees.

This week promises to be nice (afternoons in the 50s), so I'm going to see if I can do multiple commutes. Of course, since I first looked, the weather has gone from no rain to 50% chance by later in the week, but we'lls ee what actually happens.

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Linda and I visited the MD this morning and we both came away with medications and told to stay off the bike for at least three more days. It seems that our lungs don't sound all that good (Linda's are worse than mine) and pushing too hard could result in more (permanent) damage. The verdict is that we both had a mild case of influenza that, thanks to having been vaccinated last fall, passed quickly but still left us with a weakened pulmonary system -- YIKES!

Bummer, with the only consolation being that the next three days aren't at all promising weather wise and I really don't want to do any more rollers this season.

For the rest of you -- stay healthy!

raffi

Ronin, sorry you are under the weather. Get well soon, you don't need that kind of damage.

It was in the high 40s for the ride home, so I was down to shorts and a jersey. It was a bit chilly to start out, but made for good motivation to keep pedaling. Made good time on the way home and, unlike most of my commutes, I got home faster than I got to work. All in all a good start to the commuting year.

ORjt

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well (or at least, improving!). Work, and weather (and other commitments) have finally cleared up at least a little - managed to get home early enough to get out last night for a short ride - 10.7 miles at a decent clip (15.1mph overall, the 2nd half was the faster half). As I made the last turn to home, it started raining, so I cut the ride short at that point. Weather was quite decent (apart from the wet stuff) - low 60's, light breeze, overcast. Tonight's not looking good, but tomorrow is promising.

And, the weather guessers are promising ~70 for Saturday and Sunday. Nice :D ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

raffi

I had one of those mornings where I'm sure I'd have left my head behind if it was not attached. I took off to work this morning and got a little ways past my (1/8 mile steep) driveway when I realized that I left my panniers behind. I went back to get them at which point I started to leave without my backpack (with keys, phone etc.). I managed to get that only to leave my fingered gloves. Not wishing to do the driveway yet again and be even later, I decided cold fingers were probably good for me today.

On the plus side, I did bike into work for the third time this week and I'm not hurting too bad. I've not done this many miles in a month since September (where I did a lot more). Looks like I've got a good start on the season. Now to keep it up.

ORjt

Raffi,

That's quite a start to the day! The girl at the coffee shop where I stop on my way to work (I'll miss that when I start biking in!) had an interesting comment - she'd mentioned getting up late, then having to hurry in to open the shop -- "We need days like this to remind us how good it is when it goes well".

I like that ...

Hopefully your ride home will go better.

We are to have gorgeous weather this weekend (~70 or better, both days). Will be out riding :D

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

I saw my primary care this morning and she blew me away with the statement that now that I have finished the Z-Pack I have to wait yet another seven days before I can ride the bike -- something about potential heart damage if I push my heart rate while the medication is still in my system. That will become three-weeks of not riding. The alternative "activity" is to do easy walks at the pace of 30 min/mile! I feel like this is a death sentence!

ORjt

Ronin,

Wow! I saw something recently about Z-pack (whatever the actual antibiotic is ... not gonna try to spell it!) having some potential risk to heart problems. I don't recall seeing the warning about keeping your heart rate low (in-check, whatever) for an additional 7 days, though. I'm sure that what I read didn't go into that level of detail ...

Of course, you need to do what's best, but I do understand the frustration of an enforced absence from riding. March hasn't been that great for me - but it's been the culmination of a lot of little things.

Take care ...

--JT

raffi

I had not heard of that particular issue with taking a Z-pack. That's scary. I know my wife has taken that antibiotic, but I don't think the doctor ever told her to watch her heart rate. As bad as 7 more days is, it will be over soon and it is still early in the riding season.

I finished my 3rd commute this week, that was a better start to the commuting season than I anticipated. Now to recover.

blufloyd

Thinking of getting the catrike trail out tomorrow. Saw pickup crash into back of bicyclist today. Use flags and be safe out there.

Ronin

Everyone:

I did a bit of digging into the Z-Pack issue and found that the complications were for people who already had compromised hearts. However, I'm running into the "you're over 65" arguments although I'm generally healthier than the vast majority of my age peers. That is the good news. The downside is that I still have a nagging sinus-drip and cough so I did take that walk yesterday (and my hyper-extensive knees hate me for it). On top of that bad weather is on the horizon yet-again. Linda's walking-pneumonia is still causing her coughing and rattling.

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Brief update: I'm coming to realize that I'm taking Influenza too glibly. Yeah, we both had influenza and are recovering. Of course I want to jump right back to where I was just before the Flu struck. The reality, which sank in after a visit with my 93 year old neighbor who lived through the Spanish Flu epidemic, is that Influenza is really hard on the body. To be sure the immunization lessened the effects but looking over my recent blood work (drawn during the week when I was in the midst of the Flu) shows that I've suffered.

I did another walk today -- only half an hour but that was more than enough. I think, weather being cooperative, I may take an easy 10 mile ride tomorrow but nothing more than that. I can see the necessity to build back slowly because as I reviewed the blood work and I can see that my blood counts are quite low so I just don't have the resources that I used to have and I'll have to build them back up to peak. Later, when Linda's lungs clear we have to do the same on the tandem. This is going to be a very slow year. If there is an upside, it is that we have developed some pretty strong immunities to this particular version of Influenza and that will not disappear soon.

It is frustrating but I've come to understand that this wasn't just a rhinovirus -- it was full blow influenza and that is a very dangerous disease.

blufloyd

Dragged the Catrike Trail out today. A few blocks around and around. Just shaking the cobwebs and reviving the muscle memories.

rwallen

Hi all!

raffi: Congrats on the commuting!!

Ronin: I know exactly how you feel about not being able to ride your bike from my UTI experience. Although, your situation is more serious! While my goal is to beat last year's mileage that experience taught me that there will be situations that come up that are out of my control. I just have to roll with them. raffi is right though. It won't be any time at all and you and Linda will be out tooling around on the tandem. Here's wishing you both a speedy recovery.

JT: I'm glad you're finding more time to ride. I'd like to visit your part of the country some day.

blufloyd: more pictures when you have time. Your bike is pretty cool!

All: Not much happening here in Missouri. I have been able to turn the pedals on something every day this month. Hopefully, I will continue to do so. After being on the SB for a week I was able to get my bike out on Friday and did a couple of laps around one of our small, local, lakes. It is a route that is used for some races and I have heard about some of the hills on that route and had to check it out for myself. I have been trying to ride more hills and I can say that I'm actually starting to enjoy climbing. Is that weird? Yesterday morning I got out early to beat the rain and while I was supposed to ride with a group, I ended up riding by myself. I got rained on, on the last 4 miles. I would have missed the rain if I would of stuck with the plan to only do 25 miles but I didn't. Yet, it was still a good ride. Patti and I plan to get the tandem out today. She really needs to get some time in the saddle in preparation for some of our future rides.

Everyone stay safe, feel better, and ride when you can!

Ronin

Rick, et al.,

Thanks for the encouragement. Right now I am in the midst of the rational brain versus the emotional brain. When I take the time to think about the realities of what Influenza does to the body I realize that I have to do a lot of resting to actually recover. The emotional brain, however, is a scold telling me that I'm feeling tired because I'm not out there flogging my body into shape. I can sense the loss of peak fitness and that does bother me, particularly the emotional me, because I had to reverse almost a lifetime of lousy living to get to where I was just a few short weeks ago - and now I just feel it slipping away inch-by-inch. I really miss the intense exercise and, at the same time, dread the slow return to fitness. Intellectually, I realize that it may take some time but I/we will get back in shape and it will be a speed-bump on the road of life. Emotionally, I cannot get rid of the feeling that I'll never again get back to peak fitness.

raffi

It was a beautiful Easter day and we went to celebrate with friends in a near by town and I took my bike and did the same ride I have done the previous two Easters. Not a very long ride, but a good little warm up to dinner.

Hope you all had a good Easter as well.

Gordonm

We took off yesterday morning a little early and rode one of our normal rides the opposite way. Totally different ride and we really enjoyed it. We got in a quick 19 miles before heading off to her brothers for some Easter celebration. Good day over all.

ORjt

Hi all,

Great weekend - got in ~20 miles Friday after work, 70-ish. Saturday was our Tour de Cure 'group ride' - met in Vancouver (Wa), rode up to the I-205 bridge, and across to Oregon, then along the Columbia river. Finally, back across the I-5 bridge, where we were treated(!, I think ...) to a bridge-raise, to allow a sail-boat, and grain barge, to pass under. Mid-70's and just a stunningly nice day. Riding on the two Interstate bridges was quite unusual - the 205 has a separated and raised bike path between the two sets of car lanes; while on the 5, the bike/ped path is quite narrow, and is actually outside the bridge proper (there is of course a guard rail).

Sunday was equally nice - however, ended up helping out a buddy with a dead battery in his truck, then planted some lilies for the Mrs ... (and then, of course, a nice Easter dinner).

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

I woke up this morning feeling much better than I have for quite a while. The temperatures are still in the high 50's (almost, but not quite 60) the only down side is that there is a cold front headed our way and the leading edge winds made the return half of the 11 mile ride a real character builder. I cannot say that I ever ride "easy" but limiting myself to 11 miles is a way of not overdoing the return to cycling. I feel that I could have done more miles but that would not have been prudent. Looking at my stats I can see how out-of-shape I am -- my average heart rate was 159 for a fairly short and not too challenging route.

Forecast for tomorrow is for about 10 degrees colder but the winds should lessen and I've got good colder weather gear to wear.

Thanks to everyone for putting up with my rants and encouraging my convalescence. Stay healthy!

raffi

My buddies on the county road crew are at it again. They took a section of my commute that had a couple of rough spots and turned it into 2 miles of very bad road. As an added bonus, it should washboard up nicely in less than a week. Oh well, I guess that's one way to get a good workout.

rwallen

Ronin,

Don't beat yourself up! You've only been out of the "game", so to speak, for a short time. Though, I completely understand! While I had a raised BG level because of my infection, my BG didn't really suffer much because of the lack of riding. Neither did my weight. I realize, of course, I was only off the bike for a short time. I'm not sure if that WAS what I was worried about or how I somewhat define myself through my cycling. I can be pretty hard on myself on those rare days when I don't feel like riding. During the time when I wasn't supposed to be riding I thought alot about what would happen if I ever got to the point to where I couldn't ride anymore. Weird, huh? The main reason I started riding was to manage my diabetes and to lose weight. Now, it's become more than that for me. For you though, I'm sure you'll be back in the groove in no time.

On a different note, Patti and I were able to get the tandem out yesterday. It was a little cooler and more windy than what was forcasted but it was still a good ride. I was able to get out for a nice ride this afternoon. I was trying to beat a cold front that's coming in. I felt a little over dressed when I left but got kinda chilled on the way back. It looks like I'll be on the SB the next two day but I guess that's how it goes. :)

Everyone take care and happy riding!

blufloyd

As requested....

04-01-2013Catrike_zps8aebc802.jpg

yes I know dirty lens. Running 20 inch big apples all the way around. The back one is 2.35 the fronts are 2.0.

RandolphB

Managed to get out on April 1 to celebrate our 5th Anniversery with a 50 mile ride on the Van Fleet Trail near Polk City, Florida. It was a slo day, say a Masked Face Fox Squrreil (never knew about them before!), 3 snakes, 14 gopher turtles and 4 alligators along the trail. Spoke to a fellow from county planning that this trail is in great danger of being ruined by having a railroad put 25 yards away from it....that will have up to 30 trains a day using it. Time to spread the word through bicycling friends to fight the tracks going here when they have another route possible anyway.

Ronin

Rick, et al.,

Tuesday and Wednesday were cold and very windy and I really wasn't up to riding. Today, however, is great. I upped the miles to 16 and really felt great. Like Monday, I sense I could have gone further but realize that prudence is better at this stage. Linda got the green-flag from our MD to start riding on Monday giving her lungs a few more days to heal. It will be a slow, every-other-day, schedule for Linda for the first few weeks eventually we will build up to our standard level of riding and fitness. I never realized how nasty Influenza really is (now knowing the difference between actual Influenza and what everyone calls: "The Flu" but actually just a rhinovirus).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.