Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaurenJ

37 Week Update! Expected to have a "Gigantic" Baby in 2 Weeks! :( Have Questions!

LaurenJ

Hi Everyone! Had an OB ultrasound this afternoon and baby is now measuring 9 lbs! :( Baby is expected to be 10+ lbs! I am so upset. They want to schedule me for c-section in 2 weeks but hospital is completely booked that morning of 39 weeks. They are trying to schedule me for that afternoon. My concern is that I will be without food for way too long and my sugar might get low by afternoon time for c-section? Any advice or thoughts? Thank you!! :(

Calgal98

Having had other issues with pregnancies, a c-section is a great alternative to labor. I did both. Ended up with c-sec anyway. That was 33 years ago. As far as the eating stuff, how about going a couple days earlier or a day later, so you can get in first thing? Should be some way to approach it.

Kathryn10

I have never had a c-section nor do I know much about them, but there has to be some other way around it. Can it be scheduled for, say, a day earlier? Not that I am a proponent of forced c-sections or inductions any earlier than what would happen naturally, but given the circumstances that seems like a reasonable option to me. Let us know what happens!

Hooterville

I'm not suggesting you do this but I did have a 10 lb 8 oz baby vaginally after a c-section with my twins. You'll work it out, I'm sure. Of course, I'm not T1. Whole other world there. Have you asked your doc how they'll manage lows should that happen with an afternoon c-section? We knew my baby was big but they did know realize he was as big as he was. Had they known, the would have never let me do it. Anyway, I've had both a c-section and vaginal and, in the end, all that matters is a safe momma and baby.

Steal

I have had two c-sections. One was after a very long labor and the other was scheduled. Until you have an epidural, you can eat. That was what they did with me. Once you have an epidural, you will not eat and they will likely have you on an IV drip. I continued on my pump and monitored myself the entire time. Talk with your doctor and find out the hospital's protocols and figure out what else you might want to ask them prior to the day. It will be okay and you will get your little one out for you to enjoy. Happy thoughts!

notme

Baby could make his own decisions about when he arrives so don't stress to much. I had a 10 lb 4 oz baby and all went just fine. I am not a big girl, but apparently was made for having babies. Don't stress, it will be fine soon and you will have a baby in your arms instead of the belly.

LaurenJ

Thanks so much everyone, I didn't address any of those things with the doctor today. I was in shock and practically in tears after the scan and could barely respond to any of his questions. @Steph - I didn't realize they allowed any food before the c-sections. That would be fantastic in case I really needed something, even if it was just a glucose tablet. I have a feeling my hospital/doctor may not allow food at all for 12 hours before but I'm going to call them in the morning to find out more info. The nurse never even called me back today to schedule the c-section time like she was supposed to. With your scheduled c-section did you go first thing in the morning for the surgery? Did you eat anything before? Thanks so much.

CatLord

As a male without kids -- I can't even begin to imagine, know, or understand what you're going though. However, if you're worried about going low while waiting in the hospital, surely you (or someone else) can hang on to a bottle of glucose tablets for you to prevent lows, right?

Congrats on the little behemoth, though!! :)

Hooterville

I am questioning the concept of anything by mouth whatsoever prior to a c-section. I think there may have been a miscommunication there. Glucose tabs, maybe. Food and water.....I'm thinking, no.

Steal

The food reference was more about my first experience with two days of labor before taking an epidural and then having a c-section. For the scheduled one I ate the night before and went in the morning. We went early and I wasn't hungry, but I don't think they want you eating before. It is more to prevent any adverse reactions to the medication. It all went pretty fast and there wasn't really a desire for food at that point. I also had glucose tabs on hand if I needed them, but I was cautious with my insulin requirements prior to the surgery. I am sorry that you are not feeling supported by your doctor and nurses. It can all feel a bit scary, but I have learned through my two times that it will all happen somehow. It might not have been how I imagined originally, but I have two amazing girls. I hope you get your answers.

2high

My son was 9lb 12oz at 37 weeks, 2 and a half years ago, born by c-section... feel free to message me if you want to chat about anything

LaurenJ

Thank you everyone! :) Nurse just called with my c-section time for the morning of the 18th! Feeling a little better about the whole thing today but still very very nervous about the surgery! Trying to stay positive by thinking I will meet my baby soon! For those of you who've had c-section, how long did you stay in hospital afterward?

Hooterville
Thank you everyone! :) Nurse just called with my c-section time for the morning of the 18th! Feeling a little better about the whole thing today but still very very nervous about the surgery! Trying to stay positive by thinking I will meet my baby soon! For those of you who've had c-section, how long did you stay in hospital afterward?

I think I was booted out after 2 days.

Steal

With my first I stayed 4 days. This was more because of recovering from labor and a c-section and being new parents, it put us at ease. With my second and a scheduled c-section, I went home the next day. I know this is not common, but I was determined to be mobile (within reason) and help myself start to heal. After the surgery there will be particular tasks that you must complete: peeing a certain amount, being able to hold down a little Jello and then they will be able to remove the catheter. I insisted on moving and getting up when I was able to, it just helped me to feel better. Everyone is different and it isn't a race, but for me, being mobile soon helped to reduce any swelling that can occur from medications during a c-section. Some hospitals have particular protocols but for others it is when you meet particular requirements and feel ready.

LaurenJ

Thank you ladies! How did your insulin needs change immediately following the surgery? I've been debating whether or not to wear my pump and control my own sugars afterward but I need to find out if the hospital will even allow me to. Surely I won't have any problems with them allowing me to do so? Any advice or thoughts? Thanks!

Steal

Some hospitals have different policies with pumping. I fought to keep mine on and control it myself, but others on here have had different experiences. I was able to let go of a lot of control, but that was one area where I could not. I keep myself in very tight control and I knew that I preferred controlling my own numbers.During my surgery I suspended my pump. After surgery, I immediately put all of my numbers back to pre-pregnancy, you can even go a little bit lower. Once the baby is out there really is an immediate change in your insulin needs. It is pretty amazing.

2high

My pump was knocked out during surgery, and we didn't realise until later that night. For 24 hours I had NO insulin at all... and finally hit 180 the next day around 4pm, 5 hours after I'd had a miniscule dose of protophane.

A friend of mine, also t1, had a c-section at 39 weeks, and required no insulin at all for I think 5 days

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.