Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hooterville

Asian Fried "Rice"

Seagal

Love faux fried rice! I have been using Braggs aminos (for soy sauce) and recently bought some coconut aminos, gosh it is hard to get used to the latter.

Love faux spanish rice too! Love anything cauliflower faux rice:)

Vilya

Looks fantastic! I use Miracle Rice for fried rice, but I've been wanting to try a cauli recipe. This looks like a good one!

Peggy_TX

Do you "rice" the stems or just the florets?

I keep tossing out the stems and know that I'm wasting them... but they don't seem to steam or mash as well as the florets.

But maybe I can rice/grate them and do something like this, since NOT mushing is a good thing??

Hooterville

It's the Asian flavors that really bring this to fried rice life. I recommend not skimping on the fresh grated ginger. It's so important and lovely and powerful! Next time I'll use more cilantro and green onions, too. I do look forward to making it again as I was a little antsy and nervous about getting the "rice" to the right size and cooking it to just the right doneness and not ending up with mush. It all worked out though. :)

Seagal, I was worried about the coconut aminos because I'd read your review of it elsewhere. This is the second recipe I've used it in and have no complaints. Kind of carby would be my biggest complaint. I want to use more but hold back due to carbs.

I did the shopping and found the recipe after the fact. Funny thing was that I had this urge in the store to use bacon! Then I said, nah, that's silly, just get some pork. So I bought a small piece of pork. When I got home I found Nom Nom Paleo Girl's recipe and what did she use? Bacon! OMG, I had to go back to store lol! I used both the pork steak, whatever cut it was, and the bacon. Super yummy with both.

I added a small amount of peas. I forgot to before the pic. Just a few for color and texture. I love peas in fried rice. I'd also intended to use up some asparagus I had but, again, with the anxiousness of the new recipe, I forgot.... I also had a brand new food processor. I haven't used one in probably 20 years so I was kind of stressed out. I'm normally a simple, no recipe, knife, and no gadgets, wing it kind of cook.

Seagal

I find it helpful to process more cauli than I need and then will have additional to use in other recipes. I use the whole cauliflower including stems. I slice it and then toss in blender with water to cover and drain and do it again.... since I don't have a food processor. It keeps for a week in a sealed container (after it has been drained and blotted).

Sometimes I add sugar snap peas (or those other ones in the pod?)

Hooterville
I find it helpful to process more cauli than I need and then will have additional to use in other recipes. I use the whole cauliflower including stems. I slice it and then toss in blender with water to cover and drain and do it again.... since I don't have a food processor. It keeps for a week in a sealed container (after it has been drained and blotted).

Sometimes I add sugar snap peas (or those other ones in the pod?)

I was afraid I was going to end up with a mountain of it after all the veg and meat were added. Next time I'm using two heads. May as well when going to all the trouble. I had a big bowl for dinner last night. Put another bowl in the fridge for lunch today and froze two servings for later.

Hooterville
Do you "rice" the stems or just the florets?

I keep tossing out the stems and know that I'm wasting them... but they don't seem to steam or mash as well as the florets.

But maybe I can rice/grate them and do something like this, since NOT mushing is a good thing??

I riced the stems. Not the core but stems. I steam the stems, too, though.

Peggy_TX
I riced the stems. Not the core but stems. I steam the stems, too, though.

uh oh

my cauliflower anatomy is lacking

what are stems (useable) vs core (not useable) ??

The tiny stems vs the big stalk?

We eat about 3 heads of cauliflower/week. Just now realizing I haven't a clue what I'm doing?

And, whatever the answer is, is it the same for broccoli?? 'Cause we DO grill the "big stem" part for broccoli, but that's the only time we use it.............

Seagal

If the cauli isn't too old, I've used the whole head, stems, florets & core. If the core is "woody", I don't use it. Once everything is "riced" you can't tell the difference (except the woody-don't use).

Sometimes, I just take a portion (uncooked) and steam with some butter, salt & pepper and just enjoy when I'm too lazy to put green onions or other veggies in.

Hooterville

By core I'm thinking the big, center "trunk" part. Maybe, as seagal says, it is edible especially if nice and fresh and riced. I'm sure it's edible. Would be nice to be frugal and use the whole thing.

For broccoli I eat the stems. Sometimes I'll peel tougher looking stems. I don't eat the big center stem but I know I could peel it, chop it, and eat it. Again, would be nice and frugal and not so wasteful. Something I should strive for.

Moonpie

we make alot of home made soups, so anything like the stems of a large broccoli or a cauliflower goes in the soup. We waste very little. Or if we are not making soup, I will steam it & eat it along with other veg. During winter we always have a big pot of soup available, it is an easy quick, cheap & nutritious dish.

Ela

If you peel "the core" of cauliflower, it's actually not that tough. My husband loves it and eats like a snack! The same thing with cabbage.

We use everything; as Moonpie suggested, broccoli stems are great for the soups. I peel them too and shred and add to whatever I'm cooking or boil, process in the blender or food processor and make a Cream of Broccoli soup.

I'm going to try this recipe with some simplifications probably; why to cook eggs separately for example? But great idea, Hootie, thanks for posting!

mjrc64

That looks really good. I was thinking fried rice would lend itself well to the cauli rice. I do a decent amount of Asian style cooking. Fresh ginger, is key, I agree. I always have that and tons of garlic and a bunch or two of green onions on hand.

Bacon is a great idea, and leftover ham is perfect for fried rice as well. Chicken thighs work well too, but do not add the saltiness.

I have never used or heard of coconut aminos.

jims_forum
That looks really good. I was thinking fried rice would lend itself well to the cauli rice. I do a decent amount of Asian style cooking. Fresh ginger, is key, I agree. I always have that and tons of garlic and a bunch or two of green onions on hand.

Bacon is a great idea, and leftover ham is perfect for fried rice as well. Chicken thighs work well too, but do not add the saltiness.

I have never used or heard of coconut aminos.

I also do homemade fried rice - add fresh ginger, shrimp, bacon, green onions, chopped cooked scrambled eggs, soy sauce and creme sherry.

Frying rice in oil - olice or peanut oil stops any carbs spiking.

mjrc64

Yes, Jim, I can eat real fried brown rice as well, as long as I pump it up with loads of veggies, and protein, and then the added oil helps. A careful serving would not spike me. But this cauli rice version will allow for a bigger portion! Yum!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.