Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hooterville

Asian Fried "Rice"

Hooterville
What is ricing and how do you do it?

Click the link in the first post for the recipe and instructions. Basically you can pulse cauliflower in a food processor or grate it (I've never done it this way) to the size of rice and then cook with it to make dishes that are similar to rice but all vegetable and no grain.

mjrc64
Are y'all who are eating real rice with lots of fat testing at 3 and 4 hours?

I have done that with foods others cannot tolerate. Pizza, sweets, not specifically the fried rice, but I have not made it in a year. It is a rare thing I make. I had 1/2 cup brown rice with my Thai dish last week, and was under 120 pp. Maybe under 115, I forget. Now, with pizza, I might run at 105 for a few hours, rather than dropping to the 90s, but once in awhile, I am okay with that.

Though, by choice, I have gone even lower carb the last month, and pretty much given up wheat, and have occasional quinoa and the 1/2 cup of rice with that dish last week. Stay under 50 carbs a day.

GAgirl
It's the Asian flavors that really bring this to fried rice life. I recommend not skimping on the fresh grated ginger. It's so important and lovely and powerful! Next time I'll use more cilantro and green onions, too. I do look forward to making it again as I was a little antsy and nervous about getting the "rice" to the right size and cooking it to just the right doneness and not ending up with mush. It all worked out though. :)

Seagal, I was worried about the coconut aminos because I'd read your review of it elsewhere. This is the second recipe I've used it in and have no complaints. Kind of carby would be my biggest complaint. I want to use more but hold back due to carbs.

I did the shopping and found the recipe after the fact. Funny thing was that I had this urge in the store to use bacon! Then I said, nah, that's silly, just get some pork. So I bought a small piece of pork. When I got home I found Nom Nom Paleo Girl's recipe and what did she use? Bacon! OMG, I had to go back to store lol! I used both the pork steak, whatever cut it was, and the bacon. Super yummy with both.

I added a small amount of peas. I forgot to before the pic. Just a few for color and texture. I love peas in fried rice. I'd also intended to use up some asparagus I had but, again, with the anxiousness of the new recipe, I forgot.... I also had a brand new food processor. I haven't used one in probably 20 years so I was kind of stressed out. I'm normally a simple, no recipe, knife, and no gadgets, wing it kind of cook.

Do you have to add aminos and that red boat fish sauce or any fish or oyster sauce will do?

Hooterville
Do you have to add aminos and that red boat fish sauce or any fish or oyster sauce will do?

I used the aminos because I was strictly no grain/gluten at that time and soy has gluten. I used no fish sauce but did use lots of fresh ginger.

jims_forum
I used the aminos because I was strictly no grain/gluten at that time and soy has gluten. I used no fish sauce but did use lots of fresh ginger.

I agree; lots of fresh ginger is key. A good mix of proteins also adds great flavour - shrimp, bacon, chicken et all and lots of green onions as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.