Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lauren

Big baby already?

Lauren

I had my first OB visit on Tuesday. Based on my last menstrual cycle I calculated I was 10 weeks 4 days, but when the doctor measured my baby she put gestational age as

11w1d.

She said it is a possibility that the baby is big already, due to my diabetes, but more than likely I just ovulated a few days earlier.

Has anybody had an experience like this? I haven't got my a1c result yet, but I know I have had more lows than highs since finding out I'm pregnant and all the highs have come down quickly when I have taken additional bolus injections, so I really don't think the baby can be big already.

Kathryn10

I wouldn't worry too much about that. You're only 10/11 weeks along and there really isn't much you can do except control your bgs as best as possible. My daughter didn't start to weigh more than normal while I was pregnant until closer toward the end of my pregnancy. There is a very good chance that the doctor is incorrect on the gestational age. They were with mine - they calculate based on your last period. If that was the case with me, I'd be 2 weeks ahead of where I am now. But, I told the u/s tech that I believe I conceived 2 weeks later and that's exactly how the baby measured up. I've had 2 ultrasounds now and the baby is growing normally. In any case, I don't think it's worth worrying about since you don't know for sure what's going on yet. Plus stress is bad for the baby! :)

notme

All five of my very big babies measured different sizes that early on. Don't even worry about it. All of my kids were 9 and 10 pound newborns and some measured small at ten weeks and some measured large. Babies gain most of their weight and fat at the end of the pregnancy. Big early on just means date changes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.