Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CaitE

Thyroid Before Pregnancy - HELP

CaitE

Hello,

So my husband and I were just about to ttc this month and I had my routine endo appointment. A1C is 6.7 which is good to go ahead and my kidney function is great. However, my TSH levels for thyroid function have gone up to 4.16 which is higher than they have been in the past. She is concerned that I may be heading in the direction of autoimmune thyroid disease. I have a strong family history of hypothyroidism as well. My Dr. indicated that she may put me on Thyroxine to lower the levels, but willl check the thyroid antibody levels first next month.

Has anyone had this issue before? I've been reading online about higher TSH levels and increased risks for miscarriages and I am now a bit concerned.

Any advice to positivity would be helpful.

PS. I am very fit and healthy and do not have weight issues.

C

Jan B

Hi -

I only learned I was hypothyroid after failing to get pregnant for several years (well I did have one early miscarriage). Once you get your levels to where they should be (with the proper dose of thyroxine), it should be easier for you to get (and stay!) pregnant. It's common for us (T1s) to also have autoimmune thyroid disease. At least with hypothyroidism, all we have to do is take a pill every day and we can get to the normal range. Thankfully, much, much easier to deal with than T1.

Also, I have a feeling someone here is going to mention your A1c. It's good, but if at all possible, you might strive for closer to a 6. It will take a month or so for your thyroid to increase its functioning. Sending you good wishes and good health!

CaitE

Thanks.

I always try to get my A1C lower. My sugars have been much lower lately so I'm hoping the next A1C will be even better. I am typically around 6.5, but have been stressed the last few months, so I'm sure that is reflected with the sugar.

Is a TSH level of 4.16 really that high? I haven't tried to get pregnant yet, but am wondering if you got pregnant naturally once your levels were lower?

Jan B

My lab values are .4 - 4.5 -- for this lab, you would definitely be on the high end. My last TSH (of course I'm being treated) was 1.28

This is also on my lab report (I hope this doesn't confuse things!)

Pregnancy Ranges

First trimester 0.26-2.66

Second trimester 0.55-2.73

Third trimester 0.43-2.91

I did something crazy and had a tubal ligation on my 30th birthday. By the time my thyroid was back to working right, I decided not to go forward with another pregnancy.

Personally, I wouldn't complain about your A1c - I think it's great. However, I'm always seeing the recommendation of around 6.

Jan B

Any advice to positivity would be helpful.

Get treated and get pregnant!!! There are so many success stories around here . . . I wasn't the perfect one to come along!

CaitE

So you never had any children in the end?

I'm only confused because my doctor said to get the next bloodwork in February and don't know if she wants me to go on something now or wait and see during a pregnancy? Am I supposed to wait?

mjrc64

I do not have T1 diabetes, but have had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis for about 20 years, since shortly before I got married. I was on levoxyl and back then, under 5 was considered a good TSH, so we kept in in the 4's. Nowadays, my doc keeps it under 3. This is a better average functioning number and also, my endo, during my second pregnancy recommended it stay in the 2's. I did have trouble trying to conceive for my first pregnancy. When I became pregnancy with my second child, i went right to my endo(that I would occasionally see for the now ongoing thyroid condition). She adjusted the does and followed me, and I did fine.

I do wonder if my thyroid were managed by the current trends in level management, if I might have had an easiest time TTC with my fist baby. Who knows?

My last couple of thyroid TSH tests were 0.53(she tweaked my meds as that was a bit low, but I had lost 50 pounds), and 7 months before that was 0.83 and my doc was happy with that. But under 2 is fine, from what I now read.

-Lee-B

I have hypothyroid and have been on Synthroid for a few years. We got pregnant after 1 month of trying. I've had to adjust my synthroid a few times while pregnant but otherwise no impact for me.

Steal

I take meds for my thyroid and have since having my first daughter. I continued during my second pregnancy and they increased my dosage during that pregnancy and then reduced it back after she was born. My girls are both just great. I hope all goes well.

CaitE

Thanks for the help. I just started a low does of synthroid this AM, so hopefully all will continue to go well.

Apparently now my endo wants a pre-pregnancy stress test done to make sure cardiac function is well. Is this typical? I feel like there are so many hoops to jump over before they give you the OK to go ahead. Argghhh.

Jan B

CaitE -

You asked me if I ever had a child. Yes, I did, but it was before thyroid function decline, AND I was not in good control. I "accidently" got pregnant - an IUD came out of place. I was married, and committed to going forward and doing the best I could. But at the time I got pregnant and for a few weeks afterward, only God knows what my A1c was. My little son was born with heart defects that took his life after 5 1/2 months of life.

My point is that it's GREAT that doctors treat us a "special" and that you are planning beforehand. This way, chances of birth defects or any other problems are greatly minimized. And the pre-pregnancy stress test is to protect YOU. I'm happy for you - and look forward to you announcing your pregnancy sometime later this year :)

CaitE

Hello,

So I just had my bloodwork done again. Most recent A1C is 6.2% (down from 6.7% a month ago). My TSH levels have also dropped in 1 month from 4.16 to 2.74 which i'm pretty excited about - looks like thyroid meds work well and quickly. Stress test results also came back great. Looks like i have FINALLY been given the green light! Here's hoping that all of the hard work and planning pays off.

Just thought I'd share.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.