Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anna17

New to forum- 34 weeks and type 1

Anna17

Hi all,

This is my first post on here. I'm 24 years old, a type 1 diabetic and have been for 15 years. I am currently 34 weeks pregnant and have some questions. Firstly I am so paranoid I am going to have a huge baby. To the point where I had a dream I gave birth to a toddler. I have been working closely with my diabetes and pregnancy team and up until now everything has been going smoothly. I have a Medtronic paradigm pump and I have been using a sensor regularly to ensure good control. Today I had an appointment with my Obstetrician who had a medical student with him (I hate having medical students, it makes it really hard to ask questions because the doctor is too busy teaching the student and it feels so rushed) the medical student looked at my tummy and did some measurements and told my doc I was measuring at 35 weeks. This concerned me. My doctor corrected her and informed her I was only 34 weeks but then he also said I had a descent sized baby. He did a scan and said I had good amounts of amniotic fluid and that the baby looked healthy. I understand he can't know the exact size of my baby but I really would love some reassurance. Do all type 1 Diabetics have HUGE babies? Everything I am reading says yes. It’s so disappointing when you work so hard to have a healthy baby. I don't want my baby to have increased risks of obesity and type 2 diabetes because they were born large. I'm having a c-section at 39 weeks so I’m not worried about the birth itself. Also I would really like to manage my own diabetes throughout the c-section and after the birth due to very few people having insulin pumps, etc in this area and the hospital’s lack of knowledge. Can you see this being possible or is it likely I will be too out of it? I have been giving my husband a few lessons so he knows what is going on. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. What a huge vent I just had. It’s hard not knowing another pregnant diabetics!

Steal

I have the same pump! I have had two c-sections and managed my diabetes the entire time. I suspended my pump during the surgery and then went right back to pre-pregnancy numbers the minute the baby was taken out. I did not have huge babies (7 pounds and 7.5 pounds). I am happy to answer any questions. My girls are now 1.5 and 2.5.

Congratulations!

GretchO

Congratulations! I had a normal sized baby (even a bit on the small side), 6.5 pounds. I didn't have a c-section, though, so can't help you with that part of it. But best of luck! My daughter's name is Anna, she's 8 now.

Chat bird

Hi am new to this forum.. I am t1 diabetic and I am planning to get pregnant.. Am 26 years old nd diabetic since a year.. Please help me with ur support..

Kathryn10

Congratulations! My daughter was 8lbs. 12oz. She is now a healthy, tall, slim 5 1/2 year old. My a1c throughout that pregnancy was 5.5. I think a lot of what you read and hear are "horror" stories and worst case scenario situations. I remember being really freaked out by all of that when I first found out I was pregnant with my daughter. I'm now 11 weeks pregnant with my second child. I think you will be fine. I don't have experience managing my bgs during a c-section because I was induced.

Anna17

Thank you for your responses. It's so nice to have some people out there knowing what I’m talking about. The countdown is on! I would love to know how your babies were after the birth. Did they have any breathing difficulties, low blood sugar levels etc? I am so excited but so worried at the same time. I know I would be worried even if I didn't have diabetes. I'm sure everyone worries. I’ll keep you posted and let you know how my baby is when it makes an appearance into this world.

Steal

Both of my girls were great. They both had very slight cases of jaundice, but I was told that this is very common for babies and especially babies of Type I's. They both needed no special treatment, they just needed to feed and put on some weight and they were fine. (My first daughter lost 1 pound after birth and went from 7.5 pounds to 6.5 pounds. My second daughter went from 7 pounds to 6.5 pounds. If they lose more than 10% of their body weight, doctors want to check on them and luckily my girls started to eat more and more and came right back.) They did not have any issues with low blood sugar and were good eaters and happy/healthy babies.

For me, once each of my girls were here, nothing else really mattered. It all just made sense. With my second one, I learned to just trust myself a bit more. Don't be afraid, it will happen and it will be wonderful. Good luck and happy thoughts.

Lizzie G

my son was 7 pounds and 9 oz two days before his due date, and was perfectly healthy and normal. i kept my A1C in the fives, and controlled my BG during labour. your biggest concerns can be eliminated: big baby by good control, low blood sugar after birth by keeping tight control in labour. you will be fine but be prepared for a fight to control your diabetes in labour. most hospitals think that doing a c***y job themselves is better than what you would do; which is probably true for a lot of the very poorly controlled diabetics out there.

Kathryn10

I remember my daughter's bg was a little low after birth but it stabilized shortly after. She also had what the pediatrician thought was a slight case of jaundice but after some testing she was found to be fine. I don't think she lost much weight after birth. Good luck!!!

Anna17

just wanted to let you all know that my baby girl was born last week weighing 7lbs 6oz, 49cm long, she is just perfect. She had no health issues and her blood sugar levels were normal. The hospital were fantastic and i was able to monitor my blood sugar levels and take care of my own insulin requirements. Thank you for your advice and support.

Anna xx

Kathryn10

Congratulations!!!!!!! I love to hear stories like these. Thank you so much for updating after your original post. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.