Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dancinglotus

I am an idiot. Going backwards since being diagnosed. Could use some help.

dancinglotus

I was originally diagnosed in 12/10 as type 2. All the pills made me sick, so I was put on insulin and started slowly gaining weight. It wasn't until May

2011 that it was diagnosed as type 1.5 autoimmune. So now they put me on 2 types of insulin, Humalog and Lantus. My weight continued to climb no

matter what I did, so then, since I was putting on weight anyway, I gave up. Completely. Started eating sugar again, and gained even more weight,

over 60lbs. so far. I am so angry that this happened. I want to blame God, the Drs., the insulin, but of course, I know it's my own fault. A1c started at 13.5, went down to 7, now back up to 10.5. I've been scared with the consequences already, but I still don't seem to care. How can I get on the right

track before this starts causing serious complications.

rrenda

First, don't be so hard on yourself. We all fall off the wagon sometimes. Then set some goals. Start small and accomplish one at a time. Just acknowledging that you are in trouble is the first step in the right direction! As for the weight gain with insulin, that can be a tough one. I was recently diagnosed with type 1.5. I put on 15 lbs in about 2 weeks. I cut my carbs down to about 15-20 a day and added more workouts and its leveled off.

dancinglotus

Thanks rrenda! It sounds like you are doing great & getting things under control. Good luck with your diagnosis. As far as going easy on myself, I didn't just fall off the wagon, I kind of drove it into a ditch & then fell off. I should have done what you did right away. Instead of getting real with myself, I got angry at God/the Universe for giving me diabetes & started living in denial. I tried cutting carbs down, and I wasn't binge eating then, I was eating normal sized portions & had maintained my weight loss for several years. But the insulin screwed me up & I was too physically exhausted from my job at that time to do any additional exercise. I've had a problem with my weight and eating since childhood. I lost a large amount of weight once, but I had to not obsess about what I ate. Food journaling and counting carbs triggers my eating disorder, causing the weight gain & making my depression worse. I have a stationary bike, I just have to get on it--either that or start dancing again. But I have limited mobility due to a back injury, so it's still hard. I'm working on it, though. Going into a forum like this was a first step for me. Thanks for your reply!

Margie3

I've always been an overeater and always overate the wrong foods so I know how that goes. I really don't know anything about type 1.5 or taking insulin but I do know if I think about food too much it's overwhelming to me so doing journals and counting calories just never worked. In my mind it makes me want to overeat! I do try to watch my food portions but mostly I just eat things that are low carb and that in itself has worked for me. You can do this! You're worth it!

dancinglotus

Hi Margie! Thanks for the encouragement. You brought your a1c down in just a few months, that's awesome. And, if you've lost over 100 lbs, you are definitely doing something right! :)

jwags

Welcome to DF. It does sound like you have been through a rough 2 years. You can regain control but it may take a little work. First get a hold of a few books

Diabetes Solutions by Dr. Richard Bernstein

Using Insulin. by John Walsh

Think like a Pancreas. by Gary Schneider

Many people gain weight on insulin because they just cover whatever they eat with higher amounts of Insulin. By cutting back on the carbs in meals you may be able to cut back on Insulin.

MsMarginalized

Dancinglotus, I am so sorry you've gone throught all this. No matter which "car" you are in (1, 1.5, 2) on the "D-train", it's no fun. Try not to dwell on what happened in the past...just take this one day at a time. I like to think about that one scene in THE LION KING where the meerkat tells Simba to put his past in his behind (that may not even be a correct quote, but it makes me smile & sometimes laugh, so, it's ok).

I'm new here too (dx last week & just joined here 7 days ago) but everyone seems to be very friendly & HELPFUL. Poke around & read as much as you like. Just know that you're not alone in this & you can come back ANYTIME for whatever you might need.

Scratch
Why does insulin make you gain weight?

It can help a person gain weight in both that it is part of muscle building and fat building in the body. Insulin doesn't just allow glucose to enter a cell to be burned, but it can also be used to build fat or muscle.

That's why type 1 diabetics before the development of treatment with insulin wasted away.

Scratch
I think that dr will put me on insulin and want to know which one won't put weight on?

Using insulin won't necessarily make a person gain weight. Insulin is only part of a multitude of factors that affect bodyweight. Other important factors regarding bodyweight include amount of food consumed, what kinds of food are eaten, physical activity levels, and metabolic rates and preferences.

If a person's blood sugar is remaining consistently at elevated levels, it is better that they be put on insulin and risk weight gain than to suffer the damage to the body caused by prolonged elevated blood sugars.

Joisey
Why does insulin make you gain weight?

That's what insulin does. It takes the glucose (mostly from carbs) out of your blood and either stores it in your liver as glycogen or throughout your body as fat. However, by reducing your carb intake you can still loose weight on insulin.

dancinglotus

Wow. So glad I found this website. You guys are awesome! Everyone basically said what my Dr. told me. It might be because I used to be this heavy+ before, and the fat cells were already there to store fat in. It's frustrating because I really wasn't eating crazy when I was first diagnosed and put on 25-30 lbs. in a matter of months. Now, the next 30 lbs., that was me giving up the fight. It sucks that I'm going to have to go on a strict diet in order to get the weight off and hopefully, insulin down. As far as which insulin is best, I'm not really sure. I'm on Lantus and Humalog.

sglamay
First, don't be so hard on yourself. We all fall off the wagon sometimes. Then set some goals. Start small and accomplish one at a time. Just acknowledging that you are in trouble is the first step in the right direction! As for the weight gain with insulin, that can be a tough one. I was recently diagnosed with type 1.5. I put on 15 lbs in about 2 weeks. I cut my carbs down to about 15-20 a day and added more workouts and its leveled off.

AH! you don't know how relieved I am to have just read that. I gained 20 pounds in 2 weeks since I've started insulin!!!! I don't know what to do!!!!!

Chelle D

I gained a little after starting insulin, but now that I've been keeping getting my insulin increased, starting to gain a little more.

When I try to lose weight.. .it is 4x harder to lose.

But, You've got to just keep getting back on the wagon & keep trying to excersize just a Little more... then a little more.. etc.

Slowly, you'll stabalize, then maybe start to loose. Then maybe you can decrease some of the insulin. Good luck.

inkvisitor

I am an overeater and slowly gained weight over the years (because of insulin? food? not exercising? All contributed I suppose).

The only way I've been able to get the weight off and keep it off is to keep track of everything - I am slightly obsessive about it which may not suit all personalities but it really helped get a hold of things.

For monitoring - setting calorie (and carbs, too) goals and keeping a food and exercise diary (I use Myfitnesspal) and testing my blood sugar as much as I can stand (and my test strips will last..).

Good luck! It's all achievable if you set realistic goals and integrate things in to your daily life at a reasonable pace!

dancinglotus

Thanks, Chelle D! That is what I am trying to do. i am slowly getting better with the insulin adjustments

, but had a few days of carb backsliding. Still working on my exercise plan, staying on an even course...

dancinglotus

That is what i did a little over a year ago at weight watchers and I eventually after 6 weeks, lost about 7 pounds. Then the holidays hit and eventually i had to quit ww. But the food log does help, even though it was making me neurotic and food-obsessed at times. I'll check out myfitnesspal. I know there are other places to log food and exercise, I have to just do it. I've done it before, lost a large amount of weight, but that was over 15 years ago and before my having to take insulin. Thanks again!

MsMarginalized
...But the food log does help, even though it was making me neurotic and food-obsessed at times...

& here I thought I was the only one food-obsessed! ;)

ant hill

Hello Yvonne :D,

I have been doing this pritty most of my life!!! AND love food!!!! OMG I could go on and on about food that we can eat and with Insulin it will make you ffff Fat!!!

I am sorry Yvonne, This is the fact!!! :( I am in the same boat as you are in San Francisco (Me dreams of being there :rolleyes:) :(:(

Our war is all about what we love, Carbohydrates :star::canabis: What's missing though is what we don't do enough of, You know what I am talking about Sooooo. This is rightly up to you. I have fun on a bike as I think that you have a car, Right??!!

anguilla11.jpg

I hope that will cheer you up. :)

dancinglotus

Thanks, Peter. I hear what you're saying. Each day is a new day to make better choices, that is for sure. ;)

Thank you for the flowers, they are lovely!

algarve7
I've always been an overeater and always overate the wrong foods so I know how that goes.

Butter is one thing I don't worry about over eating. It doesn't affect BG and is good in place of snacks. Use it for calories in tea (or coffee, if you're a coffee drinker) instead of milk. Coffee is too much caffeine if we drink this often during the day. Fats will satisfy hunger very well. We would need to severely restrict carbs, because they will work against this effect.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.