Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Azurah

Spaghetti squash is expensive!

Azurah

I've always wanted to try spaghetti squash. I finally saw one at Whole Foods the other night. It was a little over 5lbs and $2.50 per pound!:eek: That's too much to spend on something I'm not sure I'd like.

Are they normally this expensive? Hawaii prices are generally higher, but that seems really high. I'll keep my eye out for a smaller one.

NoraWI

Out here I have seen them by the end of the season for 19 cents a pound. But you are in Hawaii! Grow your own! On second thought, they are not all that wonderful. Taste like bland squash. What catches people is the stringy interior that is reminiscent of spaghetti. But real spaghetti it isn't. Go for shirataki noodles. I'm sure you can find them easier in Hawaii than I can in rural Wisconsin.

jwags

You have to watch for sales. Sometimes Trader Joes has them and they are priced by the whole squash not the pound. So they are under $2. I make pasta with zucchini or yellow squash and our local stores wanted $2.99 a pound. That makes expensive pasta. Lately fresh veggies have gotten super expensive. I love spaghetti squash. I will usually get 3 meals out of one squash.

jwags

I remember the first time I bought spaghetti squash I didn't look at the price per pound. When I got home and looked at the receipt the price was $7.55. Those sp sq are heavy.

Seagal

I find it expensive even at .89 per pound and it isn't friendly to my b.g. I rarely buy it and actually, prefer zuchinni. I guess I'm done with spaghetti squash:) I sure wouldn't want to pay $2.50 per pound just to find out I don't like it. It is ok, just not a fave.

I agree with Nora, if you can find some shirataki noodles, try those. As mentioned in another thread, there are the yam flour (konjac root)shirataki and the tofu shirataki - go for the konjac. Maybe you can find those in Hawaii!

jwags

I use zucchini to make pasta and it is quite easy. I am working on perfecting butternut squash, it is still a work in progress. I kind of burned out on Shiratake noodles but they don't raise my bgs.

Azurah
Everything is more expensive at Whole Paycheck. Maybe try a different store.

I'll keep my eye out, but Whole Foods sells many vegetables that you can't find in other grocery stores here.

Nora - I'd definitely like to try it because I really dislike the shirataki noodles and was hoping for something more spaghetti like. If I love it, then I'll think about trying to grow it!

I've tried the tofu and konjac shirataki noodles. They both have a texture and flavor that I'm not fond of. Noodles are my favorite food and they just don't come close. I tried them in Asian style stir fries with vegetables. The texture definitely wouldn't work for pasta in my opinion. I'm very much a texture eater which makes it tough to find good substitutes.

Hooterville

Azurah, IMO spaghetti squash does not taste or feel like noodles. Maybe look in to MCS's pasta recipe. I haven't tried it because I don't eat any grain and there is some unusual ingredient that I recall was derived from grain.

mjrc64

As an occasional treat, have you tried Smart Taste pastas? They have more fiber and protein, and I can have a small portion. But you may differ. I like Spaghetti squash, and think the flavor is good with sausage and red sauce flavors, but the texture and taste is not like real pasta. That price is very high!

Azurah
Azurah, IMO spaghetti squash does not taste or feel like noodles. Maybe look in to MCS's pasta recipe. I haven't tried it because I don't eat any grain and there is some unusual ingredient that I recall was derived from grain.

I've seen that recipe. It looked interesting, but those ingredients are probably expensive and hard to find. I can't afford to play around with new, expensive ingredients right now and I don't have my own kitchen so it's an idea I'm going to file away for the future!

mjrc64 - I sometimes eat the Barilla Plus which is similar. I make myself a small portion and it does make my bg a little high (140-160), so I don't have it very often. As for the spaghetti squash, I know it won't have the right texture or taste, but I'm hoping it would work well enough with a red sauce. One day I want to try making a lasagna with zucchini, spinach, and lots of cheese! I'm really missing pasta and lasagna.

Hooterville
I've seen that recipe. It looked interesting, but those ingredients are probably expensive and hard to find. I can't afford to play around with new, expensive ingredients right now and I don't have my own kitchen so it's an idea I'm going to file away for the future!

mjrc64 - I sometimes eat the Barilla Plus which is similar. I make myself a small portion and it does make my bg a little high (140-160), so I don't have it very often. As for the spaghetti squash, I know it won't have the right texture or taste, but I'm hoping it would work well enough with a red sauce. One day I want to try making a lasagna with zucchini, spinach, and lots of cheese! I'm really missing pasta and lasagna.

I hear you. I don't experiment as much as I may feel inclined due to cost and difficulty in obtaining ingredients and fear of unfavorable results and wasted food and $$. I tend to stick with a few tried and true favorites and very basic whole, simple foods simply cooked. Still tasty, don't get me wrong. I still enjoy food but things like pasta I just kind of said goodbye to.

I've made zucchini noodles with my spiral slicer and served it with a meat sauce. It was good but it wasn't pasta. I think I liked it best when I just steamed cauliflower and served red meat sauce over the cauli, using the cauli as pasta. But these days I've kind of decided that my BG is not fond of tomato products so I'm not even having tomato sauce anymore so there really isn't any point to trying to recreate spaghetti anymore.

Moonpie

the price here ranges from around .89 to 1.29 a pound, I look for the smallest one I can find, someitmes just slightly bigger than an apple, I love them, but they are a vegetable, & doesn't taste like pasta at all. However, I love all veg.

mjrc64

Azurah, how about a small portion of what you really want, with a HUGE salad? That works for me. Something to try. But it is hard to stick with the small portion. Sometimes though, you just need to right thing, to get it out of your system!

It all comes down to balance. You do not want to always feel deprived.

modcarb

I like spaghetti squash. I nuke it so I can string it, then put it in a casserole dish with butter and lots of Parmesan cheese.

I tried it with a red sauce but didn't like it that well.

Seagal

I found if I overcooked SS it wasn't nearly as good. The last time I made it, I did it in the oven, so many people had commented on how much better it was when roasted, so that was my reason.

But, for years, when I split in half, remove the seeds and put in microwave for 6 mins. it comes out perfect and has the ss strings....overcooked, it is just like any other squash....no strings...no "spaghetti"....just mushy squash. So, the moral is...don't overcook!

I dunno, there are many veggies I can eat and avoid the carbs of SS and increased b.g. and as this thread proves, everyone has a different reaction.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.