Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrondah202

LADA Type 1.5

Mrondah202

I've been Type 2 since 2009. I just started taking the Lantus Insulin since Friday, February 15th. I think I maybe be Type 1.5 and just wanted to get some advice on how you all knew you had type 1.5 as oppose to type 1 or 2? What tests did you have done? I go back and see my doctor on 2/27.

Scratch

Type 1.5 is diagnosed using tests for GAD antibodies, islet cell antibodies, and c-peptide. The idea is to determine if there is autoimmune attack going on, GAD and islet cell antibody tests, and if there has been a loss in native insulin production. A person with type 2 is less likely to see positive results for the autoimmunity and is more likely to see larger than expected c-peptide values. Take note that there is an interpretative aspect to c-peptide results, and the fact that you are now taking Lantus will likely lower c-peptide values.

That's the basic idea. If you have autoimmunity and a loss in native insulin production, you are probably type 1 or 1.5. If the onset has been reasonably slow, then it is more likely to be 1.5 since it seems to be characterized by slower onset and development than what is seen in type 1 diabetics. For all practical purposes, I think insurance tends to consider 1.5 and 1 to be equivalent -- both are going to be needing insulin and generally more test strips than type 2 patients.

Mrondah202

My doctor told my pancreas is no longer making insulin which is why the pills stopped working and I am now on insulin. I need to make an appointment to see an endocrinologist so I can get some answers. Even though I was diagnosed in 2009 when I was 27. I know I've had diabetes probably since my early 20s. Thank you for your feedback.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.