Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

genefegan

How to be a better parent?

Bountyman

I take it you mean a better parent to a diabetic, or do you mean a better parent as a diabetic, your profile doesn't state that you are even diabetic? What are your concerns? I'm sure all parents here would be more than eager to help.

Margaret

I think the fact you want to be better says loads. Tells me you love your child and are already a good parent because you want better for them. Try reading a book called"The praying Parent"....that should help you with your quest. Good luck

James Marron
Posted · Hidden by princesslinda, July 24, 2014 - advertising not allowed
Hidden by princesslinda, July 24, 2014 - advertising not allowed

First you should know your responsible for your child. Taking care of a baby is not possible for a men without having sufficient knowledge about this. Every parents want to give ahealthy and hygenic life to their baby, it is good. Beside this you know about baby products which are good for your child or not. I like to suggest you the below link, it will be elpful to you for getting details about baby products.http://www.babysteals.com.au/

dowling gram

Something that hit home when I was expecting many years ago. It was written by Dr. Spock.--Trust your instincts--they are guided by love. If you think your child needs a hug then hug him. If you think your child needs discipline or punishment then you are probably right.

One thing I'd like to add is children need discipline and rules so they know where they stand. Not hitting but time outs. 1 minute for each year of age and an explanation of what they did wrong and a hug so they know you love them. This was brought home to me when my son was 6. He had a new babysitter and he asked me not to get her again. When I asked why he said "Mom she just lets me do what I want"

Do not give them everything they take a fancy to and give them small chores to do. Things that can be done considering the age of the child. It makes them feel like part of the family and lets them know that it takes work to earn things. You will be thankful you did this as they grow older.

My husband and I always tell each other where we are going if we are going out. My son did too when he was young and as he grew older he kept up the habit. We were thankful that we started this custom when he hit the rebellious teen stage. Since we did it it was natural for him to do it too. Example speaks louder than words

jnapadow

I hear ya OP.  I'm a Type 1 dad of 3 small children and want to be a better parent too.  I worry about low sugars getting in the way of my parental duties.  As far as being a better parent to a child of a Type 1 (or 2)  I like the advice given already.  I would probably parent my child the same way with/out the Diabetes.

briargate

Why would you be any different parent if you did not have Type 1?.  Just make sure you monitor you blood sugars and strive to stay healthy.  The best you can do is be there for them as they grow,  

Seagal

ditto to what has been said plus consistency and if there are two parents then they each have the same parenting methods and have each others back, are on the same page.  You can't tell a kid it is ok to do something one day, then change the rules....hence, consistency.  

Having diabetes shouldn't have a bearing on parenting except to keep b.g. under control and stay healthy to raise the children.

Course this could be information not needed since I don't know exactly what your question means.

Bountyman

Gene's last visit here was a year ago. Maybe Gene bought the book 'The Praying Parent' and now suffers from an acute case of existential micro-management. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.