Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glucagal

Dangers of Aspartame!

Peggy_TX

I still don't know how people can actually like consuming artificial sweeteners - it tastes like I'm swallowing washing detergent that has been mixed with some real sugar! The artificial chemical taste is so apparent.

And my brother LITERALLY throws up when he smells cauliflower cooking.

Everyone has their own taste palette. If someone doesn't like a particular sweetener, of COURSE it makes no sense to them why other people would want to consume it.

And I suspect that anyone could look at the entire diet of anyone else, and find food that contains things they don't like due to taste and/or "questionable" nutritional value.

I have specific problems with nutrasweet -- but, as Bounty picked up on -- they are MY issues. If other people don't have those problems, they should continue to eat what they want to eat.

If the message is "listen to your body, and if you think an ingredient is causing problems, eliminate it" then -- yes. If the message is "eliminate everything on which you can find a negative internet article" .. good luck with that!!!

Scratch

Yeah, very true about taste palette. I hear some people talk about how much they like eating certain things, such as cream cheese, cheese, coconut, almonds, and I just kind of shudder. Sour cream is a nightmare to me as well.

It's also maybe worth pointing out the taste palette can change over time. When I was a kid, I couldn't stand onions. Now I love them. Celery has also become a favorite vegetable. Still can't like lima beans. And to be fair to cheese, there are some mild cheeses now that I can handle.

Never liked saccharine, that always had an awful bitter aftertaste. I like nutrasweet and I like to use it in my decaf coffee and tea. I can't complain about Splenda. I tried Stevia but it just didn't seem to have any sweetness to me.

But I'll never understand why more people don't like pickled herring. Man, that stuff is good.

MsMarginalized
What everyone seems to be missing in this thread is that these artificial sweeteners are purely unnatural factory-made chemicals (with the exception of Stevia)...

What about Monk fruit & Agave?

Ela

Agave seems to act just like sugar and has loads of carbs in it btw.

But come to think of it, I actually didn't have any sugar in my drinks or used it in any other way for almost 2 years. I ate a little piece of some desserts when eating out sometimes and honestly, didn't notice big deal of a spike. I even found some regular pastry that doesn't give me any spike at all....Now I'm sitting and wondering that maybe I can eat some sugar?

And count me in for hating artificial sweeteners! I don't mind Stevia in my home made chocolates and other desserts but coffee? And no, I just can't drink it without, tea on the other hand - no problem. I like my coffee strong and sweet, so 1 spoon of sugar is not going to cut it....sigh...I guess I'm still not eating sugar after all.

PinkRose

I'm sorry folks. When I read the OP, I just assumed the daughter with D for 33 years is a T1. My previous comment was directed for those managing T1 on insulin. With T2, it may be far more difficult to ditch artificial sweeteners as a norm & eat real sugar. (Forgot to mention honey - a great natural sweetener as well).

I still believe that AS are bad chemicals & can cause harm. Where there is smoke there is fire in terms of evidence that they are harmful. If I was a T2, I'd limit my consumption of them as much as possible. Stevia seems to be the safest option.

Jan B

I'm with PinkRose, especially after being so focused now on kidney health, as she is. The only sweetener I use anymore is pure raw sugar (4 carbs in a teaspoon). I used the fake stuff for over 30 years, and never thought too much about it. After all, sugar and diabetes don't mix, right? However, too many chemicals and good kidney health don't mix either and the only 100% safe sweetener for the kidneys is raw sugar. I have trained my mind and taste buds pretty well. I choose health over taste for the most part, and convince myself the healthy option tastes better. Raw sugar is a different story though, because it actually tastes the best by a long shot. We all have to choose our best personal option; there are few perfect answers.

Caravaggio
I still stand by my original point - what on earth is everyone eating that's apparently loaded up with sweeteners?

I was just about to ask this same question.

When I was diagnosed my doctor ordered me to cut sweets, not just sugar but all alternative sweeteners. He foresaw that I would have a tough time controlling my diabetes if I continue to crave sweets. It seems he has also saved me from some worries.

Jan B
I still stand by my original point - what on earth is everyone eating that's apparently loaded up with sweeteners?

For me, coffee mostly, which I cut way back and now usually drink black. Look in the recipe/ dessert section: lots of "sweets".

PinkRose

You haven't seen the many different varieties of cakes, biscuits, desserts that are called "diet' cakes, biscuits, desserts on supermarket shelves? Many of them tend to be in the "health food" section with advertising labels telling us there is no added sugar and are diabetic friendly. Similarly if you go to hospital, they will give you diabetic friendly desserts that are sweetened with artificial sweeteners, as do restaurants that cater for special dietary needs.

I remember very well when 'diet foods' popped up when I was a teen. Many of us were trying to slim down but when we tasted things that were artifically sweetened we all agreed that we'd lose weight for sure because these foods tasted absolutely disgusting. We all made "yuk" facial expressions.

DeusXM
You haven't seen the many different varieties of cakes, biscuits, desserts that are called "diet' cakes, biscuits, desserts on supermarket shelves? Many of them tend to be in the "health food" section with advertising labels telling us there is no added sugar and are diabetic friendly.

I have, but very few of these are sweetened with aspartame. Aspartame is primarily used in liquids - I would guess something like 90% of aspartame use is in either soft drinks or powder form for sweetening hot drinks.

'Diet' cakes and sweets are almost always sweetened with a sugar alcohol (generally maltitol or sorbitol). There also isn't a single diabetes organisation in the world that recommends these products. And frankly for all of these, I'd be far more worried about the immediate and very real gastric delights, rather than the vague possibility they might be carcinogenic. You haven't experienced the real dangers of artificial sweeteners until you've done a fart that lasts over a minute and changes note 6 times.

PinkRose

I lump all artificial sweeteners in the same category so that anything that is sweet but is not sweetened with sugar, honey or fruit juice is artifically sweetened. The word "diet' is the magic code word for me.

I was on a cruise a few months ago and the worst tasting dish on the dessert menu - & always sickeningly too sweet - were the diabetic friendly ones that did not contain any real sugar. If no diabetes organisation would recommend these foods to diabetics, many food outlets & restaurants don't seem to be aware of this!

Scratch

I'm not sure I understand the definition being used as artificial. Or at least it seems to me that PinkRose is using a special definition of artificial sweetner -- anything that is not sugar, honey or fruit juice. Surprised that maple syrup didn't make the list. Or that sugar alcohols didn't make the list, since sugar alcohols are naturally occurring.

Perhaps I'm being annoying with that, but it sometimes peeves me when I see a theme of where sometimes it appears that there is a somewhat errant idea that artificial equals bad and natural equals good. It is much more important to look at what the effects could be and how they occur. You want to know something that's perfectly natural?Cyanide. It's also rather toxic in small amounts. It occurs naturally in apple seeds. But you're not going to kill yourself if accidentally swallow a few apple seeds, but it's in there, and in sufficient quantity, can kill a person. Something else that's perfectly natural is tobacco, but I really wouldn't recommend inhaling large quantities of its smoke

So that's the real question -- how much is safe and when does something begin to have toxic or damaging effects upon a person's health? In the case of naturally occurring substances, we have a certain advantage of time and experience that has given us a good body of evidence of what might be expected, although we don't know everything and may learn later on something new with which we ought to revise our opinions and theories. With the artificial ones, such as saccharine, aspartame, Splenda, we don't have so much time, experience and evidence. Generally, I advise some caution -- don't go ingesting crazy amounts, but I suppose that's a rather fuzzy definition which would mean different things to different people. For me, it means that it's okay to use aspartame each to sweeten my coffee in the morning and to have in approximately 24 oz of soda each day. For others, my level of consumption is a crazy amount. Others might think why aren't I chugging down more?

Finally, I'll just say that perhaps the ultimately more important question is why has the diet of human beings become so sweet? It's a fact that if there hadn't been a large demand for sweet things long before artificial sweetners and the creation of a market to cater to that, then there wouldn't have been the eventual development of an idea to find calorie-free sweetners which could maybe prevent excessive weight gain, or be used to let diabetics perhaps enjoy foods they otherwise shouldn't have.

Sorry if I may be rehashing arguments that have already been made but to the original poster: I recall someone in my class back in HS 10 years ago had made a presentation about this. He lectured us about diet soda and sugar-free whathaveyou being carcinogenic, and that Aspartame, if heated, is like poison?...I don't think this is anything "new"...I had done my own research at the time and despite being shaken to learn that I may never taste sweet things again without thinking in the back of my mind that they may be slowly killing me; the fact that it was still on the market led me to believe that as harmful as it may have been reported to be...if not for being force-fed Splenda till we look like Hamtaro-lab rats, I had no "real" reason to stop consuming sugar substitutes... Also...no offence but...I don't think your friend is being very tactful here...a bit like telling a vegetarian tofu's going to kill them...which admittedly in excess may happen. In fact tofu is supposedly carcinogenic too. It very well may be but unless all Buddhist monks living off tofu as a main/sole source of protein start dropping like flies then I don't think we need to worry all this much about its carcinogenic capabilities. As valid as the studies may be, I'd like to not have to worry about Splenda causing cancer...I think we have enough on our plate as it is?

Guest Oshi

If any one wants worry about anything it should be high-fructose corn syrup and what it has done and doing to the human population and to world and most of all why we have a global obesity and diabetic explosion going on because HFCS and now goes into most processed foods,As to taking aspartame i have been taking it for 25 years and sorry if it caused harm to my children do you think i would let them take it also.Its just another crack pot idea about all sweeteners and cancer causing foods,As to it causing kidney problems again anew one on me as i also suffer with that as well,As 108 said there is plenty to worry about for use all with worry about yet another health scare story that being going around for decades and no proof what so ever that has been conclusively proofed other wise it would been banned a long time ago.

pat593

I think a little is OK. I have one or two diet cokes a week and an occasional sugar free pudding. Satisfies my slight sweet tooth and comes to a relatively small amount.

The so called "diabetic" dessert choices I have seen are still loaded with bad carbs - they just use horrible artificial sweeteners -- as if diabetics need only to avoid sugar - and rarely offer anything positive in the way of nutrients. I'm glad they taste so bad.

GAgirl

My new thread today as a newbie here-

sugar substitutes

Newbie here...didn't know if anyone already posted about this...I am sure they have somewhere on here...lots to read.

Anyhow...I cannot tolerate any sugar substitutes...makes me feel flu-like. Even in toothpaste, when there used to be aspartame in some I got immediately sick and I didn't eat the stuff! LOL

My system is weakened by CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and fibromyalgia and I cannot dare make it weaker on purpose. I have tried Stevia, and it made me feel just as bad as the sugar substitutes did. All that leaves a horrible taste and film in my mouth, too.

I have had energy bars with something called SUGAR ALCOHOLS...they also made me feel yucky.

What is sugar alcohols and how does it play out for people with type 2 to eat?

I am trying to get out of a carb- sugar - addiction and it will be really tough. Any suggestions?

And now....

I just found this after I started a new thread called Sugar substitutes! Sorry, but I am new as of today and I so I copied and pasted my post here in the correct place.

One of you, Deus XM , answered my questions about sugar alcohols and I knew it made me sick and now thanks to his post I see why. I will stick to real non-bleached natural sugar when I need it or honey , all of course in tiny doses, but trying to cut out the sweet tooth. Going to be a hard task.

Also, I saw something on TV about people's brains using the diet sugars...the substitutes like in diet sodas, as real sugar. I mean they said the body accepted it as sugar and used it just the same way with the same results and that's maybe why so many people dieting cannot lose weight due to consuming a lot of diet stuff that the brain reacts to as sugar. Maybe that's why someone here posted that after eating something with a sugar substitute their sugar was high. Dunno, new to Type2 and all this, but have been ill with other things for years and so I am familiar with many health stories.

Thanks for letting me in here and learning.

Also remember toothpaste has all that crappy man made chemical sugars I them! If anyone feels flu-like and achy all over after brushing their teeth it could be your toothpaste. Happened to me. Had to stop using the ones with aspartame in them. I don't know if they even put it in toothpaste anymore as this has been over 25 years ago. HTH

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.