Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

-Lee-B

Pump during labor

-Lee-B

Well, I've survived 2 weeks of bedrest and constant pre-term contractions (typically every 3minutes for days on end). It's been one heck of a few weeks but I am now at 34 weeks and baby received steroid shots 1.5 weeks ago incase her lungs need a boost for early arrival.

Anyways, today at my appointments the doctor filled out the admittance forms that go in my file for when I arrive during labor. It was the easiest thing ever, I was quite proud of my doctor. She asked if I had someone that can help me run my pump, yes my husband then she filled out all paperwork saying I am to remain on my pump through labor, delivery and postpartum stay. She had to give instructions for basal rates for all the different stages...she said the nurses know nothing about pumps so she would write down the basic info but I was to do what I saw fit to keep things running smoothly (ie make basal changes as needed).

With this paperwork in the nurses can't take me off the pump and put me on an iv insulin drip. my nurse and I then set my pattern A and B basals so all my husband needs to do is go in and change to the new patterns at the right time and we should be set.

Very exciting! I thought I'd have to fight for that option a little more.

Hopefully the rest of the hospital stay goes as smoothly as that did!!

Summer

GrammaBear

Good for you to speak up and ask that your husband be allowed to run the pump for you during labor. Your doctor sounds like a very kind person. Best Wishes to you and to your husband.

Kathryn10

I'm glad that was so easy for you! I had no issues w/controlling my pump on my own during labor but have heard a lot of stories about women who had a difficult time because of the doctor(s)/nurses insisting on trying to do it themselves. You know your body best!

jenb

-Lee-B, you're so organized!!!

We used to count among our wonderful neighbors a couple of midwives - their words to live by were "Birth is an emergence, not an emergency". Best wishes for a wonderful emergence.

Jen

lorilei

Congrats on taking a major concern off of your plate, Lee. Just wondering why your husband has to change the rates and not you...or is that in case of an emergency?? I probably missed a previous post about this so sorry if I'm behind! Best wishes for an easy delivery~

-Lee-B

I had the option of being in control of the pump as well, but since I have no clue what mindstate I will be in I figured it was best to say my husband will be in control (I can do it or direct him if I am able). I think if I had the orders say I was in charge and then I was unable to the nurses would be able to override the doctors orders and put me on an IV drip. This way it says my husband which leaves 2 of us to be in charge before they can justify over-riding the docs written orders!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.