Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrnEyes84

Why is it so hard for type 1 diabetics to get pregnant???

GrnEyes84

I have been a type 1 diabetic for almost 23 years now and have been told that the longer I wait the harder it will be for me to get pregnant. I have tried in the past when I was in a serious relationship and it never happened. I want children so bad and I am so worried I will never get that opportunity. Why is it that its so much harder for type 1 diabetic? Can anyone give me some insight on why?

Nightstar

I do not know why it is so, but what I do know it is possible with treatment. I was told I will not have children, I do have two grown up sons. Do not loose hope. I always told to my boys, you will have everything you want, just go and do what you have to do. It does not matter how it is hard, you will get it.

Jan B

Hi Holly -

If you have untreated low-thyroid function, that alone can keep you from getting pregnant. It's good to "see" you! Other that what I mentioned, I really don't know . . .

Kathryn10

I'm not sure why unless your numbers are out of control or you have some other condition that would affect fertility. I think diet plays a role for sure.

kmcd23

I don't know either, but I know it took us quite a long time. I was diagnosed with 'unexplained infertility' and told I would need fertility treatments, but then SURPRISE! Just when we'd given up and decided to adopt, it happened spontaneously. Nothing was really different for me in terms of A1C or thyroid levels when it finally happened. The only difference was my stress level going down, so maybe being relaxed helped?

Kathryn10

I found that when I changed my diet, stopped drinking Diet Coke, cut down on coffee, and worked out consistently it was much easier to get pregnant. I also think stress has a lot to do with it. Maybe you can have your thyroid function tested to rule that out?

2high

Your sig shows that your last a1c was 9.3? That could be part of it... I know a friend of mine was told she would find it easier to conceive when her numbers were better - she got her a1c down to the 7s, and bam! Baby.

I've fallen pregnant twice, 20 years of D now, and both times I've been on birth control. I don't think it has much to do with being diabetic.

Have you been tested for PCOS? It comes hand in hand with diabetes for a lot of women, and is definitely a big cause of infertility / lower fertility

leeser

I am finally pregnant! It took us about 15 months and I went to an RE and had testing done. My thyroid was a bit out of whack and I started on thyroid meds. The first month it was to optimal level, BAM we're pregnant. Can't promise that will work for you, but it's worth a shot. Good luck!

rubidoux

I have never heard that type I makes conceiving more difficult and dh and I went through a pretty big infertility ordeal (all male factor, but they do all the procedures on the woman bc there's just not a lot they can do for the man). I am certain that my docs would have said something if this were true.

Congrats, Leeser!

jenni0219

Any doctor (endo and MFM) I've talked to wants stable BGs with an A1C 6.0% or less, 80-110 fasting, <130 1 hour postprandial and <120 2 hours postprandial. I'm 20wks with #2 and conceived easily with both my children, but have always maintained a good A1C, take thyroid medication, eat healthy and exercise regularly. I DO know that you need to be off Lisinopril a minimum of 6 months before conceiving! The drug is known to cause birth defects!

rubidoux
Any doctor (endo and MFM) I've talked to wants stable BGs with an A1C 6.0% or less, 80-110 fasting, <130 1 hour postprandial and <120 2 hours postprandial. I'm 20wks with #2 and conceived easily with both my children, but have always maintained a good A1C, take thyroid medication, eat healthy and exercise regularly. I DO know that you need to be off Lisinopril a minimum of 6 months before conceiving! The drug is known to cause birth defects!

Those things are all about having a healthy preg/baby, though. I don't think those are to make it easier to conceive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.