Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lordie

Metformin --Again!

lordie

Nine days later...

Almost from the onset, this med has made me lose my appetite completely. My appetite was already decreased as a result of the LCHF diet, but now I am bordering on anorexia, meaning I am having trouble eating; i.e., I could not make myself eat breakfast this morning. For lunch I attempted a 1-egg ham and cheese omelet. I managed about 2/3 of it before having to throw the rest away. I do not have GI upset, unless you count feeling like I have a permanent brick residing in my upper stomach. I am able to eat less than when I was a few months out from my gastric bypass 12 years ago.

My b.s. has improved some (maybe not even due to metformin itself), but my weight loss has completely STALLED in this time. After doing a search on this site, I am cutting myself back from 1000 x2/d to 500 x3 with meals to see what that does. Thoughts appreciated.

tabathadolley

A B12 supplement (started back on it yesterday) does wonders to help my appetite, and I've also noticed my BG has improved even more as well. I posted an article yesterday that stated that metformin can cause a deficiency in B12.

Also - the longer I'm on metformin, the better I feel on it, including appetite.

lordie

Thanks Tabathadolley. I did read the article and knew about this before. I had been injecting myself with cyanocobalamin monthly for years after my surgery until I ran out of syringes last time (a few years ago). (Bypass patients tend to run low because we don't absorb it as well from food or oral supplements.) I meant to get them from my doctor last time and forgot, not thinking much of it since I hadn't seemed to need them for energy anymore. I have been feeling especially wiped out lately, though I attributed this to just not eating. I never made the correlation between B12 and appetite, tho...

pat593

Interesting, I too have that "brick" feeling most of the time now. I have to force myself to eat one scrambled egg! I rarely have an appetite anymore and attributed this to the Met - I take 2 at dinner and recently added one in the morning. Not complaining since this has helped me lose weight.

Think I should try the B12 -- Anyone know when best to take? Can u take it at the same time as Met? How much?

Why are you spacing out your Met? Has it helped? When do others take their Met? My dr says to always take with meals but I'd like to see if I take 1 at dinner and 1 before bed if it will help fasting numbers.

Always so much to learn, so many variables to play with!

Pat

lordie
Interesting, I too have that "brick" feeling most of the time now. I have to force myself to eat one scrambled egg! I rarely have an appetite anymore and attributed this to the Met - I take 2 at dinner and recently added one in the morning. Not complaining since this has helped me lose weight.

I have only recently started taking metformin and don't really know if the brick would go away if I just left it alone for a while. My concern is that my weight loss has stalled since I started it because I now have less appetite than before and am consuming too few calories. (Is my metabolism slowing down?)

Think I should try the B12 -- Anyone know when best to take? Can u take it at the same time as Met? How much?
It's probably a good idea to add B12. In my case, I would have to go back to injecting 1 mL of it weekly for a while and add folic acid as well, then go to monthly injections and folic acid. This is the advice I was given post surgery. Maybe others can give you advice more pertinent to your case.

Why are you spacing out your Met? Has it helped?
My impression is that if my stomach develops my friendly brick on two 500 mg tablets at once twice a day, one 500 mg tablet at a time three times a day with meals would be less of a load and do away with the bricky feeling. I just tapered back to that. Tonight I had no increase in appetite at dinner with only one tablet, but I did not have the discomfort I did when I took two tablets. On the flip side, my sugar increased this time. Baby steps. Only time will tell.

My dr says to always take with meals but I'd like to see if I take 1 at dinner and 1 before bed if it will help fasting numbers.

I don't know what the addition of bedtime metformin would do to your blood sugar overnight. I would want a doctor's blessing for that. We're supposed to take them with meals to lessen stomach upset. More importanly, I would be worried my sugar would go too low while sleeping.

Always so much to learn, so many variables to play with!
Alas, that does some to be the case. It's a balancing act. I have learned that I can only make small changes, and only one at a time so I know what does and does not work. The good news is there are others here who eventually found their way through monitored trial and error, and that's my plan as well. :)

clebo

I lost a lot of wieght while I was on metformin and always had a big knot in my gut.Finally gave metformin up.I did at that time take a multi-vitamin but didn't help any even though it said it had 300% of vitamin B12. I still didn't want to eat anything .I got down to 138 lbs.Doc thought I should be around 200 lbs. the way I was built. Thats why I gave up the metformin. I think it does help but I've learned how to manage my diabetes without it.

jwags

I find if I take met at meals, I have no appetite and I get that full feeling, too. So now I take it on an empty stomach. I take 850 when I first wake up and then only drink coffee. i will eat a WASA cracker with cream cheese about an hour later. About 9:30 I take my second 850. The last one I take before bed. There are some people who just cannot tske metformin and need to find something else.

tabathadolley

I take the B12 in the morning with my first metformin 850mg pill (and humalog, prenatal, and fish oils). I take the second metformin with dinner. Occasionally it curbs my hunger -- but the B12 has helped a lot.

lordie
I find if I take met at meals, I have no appetite and I get that full feeling, too. So now I take it on an empty stomach. I take 850 when I first wake up and then only drink coffee. i will eat a WASA cracker with cream cheese about an hour later. About 9:30 I take my second 850. The last one I take before bed. There are some people who just cannot tske metformin and need to find something else.

I have to confess this whole concept of liver dumps was foreign to me until recently. So it's okay to take metformin at bedtime and sometimes even recommended to help with DP? Metformin, therefore, will not "interact" with my basal insulin but keep my liver from behaving as if my blood sugar has gone too low overnight and unnecessarily dump stored glucose into my blood, is this right? Does this only happen when the liver "thinks" we're low?

lordie

Well, luckily, I have stopped looking for answers with regard to this med as I now plan to not take it at all. It is not a good med for me, and frankly, the less medication the better. I had hoped it would cause weight loss and better control. My control is not yet tight. I read elsewhere that in some people it can cause weight gain, and I count myself among them. In the last 11 days while on it I mostly remained the same weight eating the same way I have been for 2 months, during which time I lost steadily until I started met. This morning I was up 2 pounds for no other reason I can imagine, so I am done.

Ela

I actually like Metformin. I think it helps me to feel satiated faster and eat less besides keeping my BG in order.

I take it without food - first thing in the morning about 30-40 minutes before breakfast and at bed time. It works the best for me: I usually wake up to the below 100 FBG and after breakfast it's usually below 120. No stomach issues at all but probably I'm just lucky ;).

I'd say many people couldn't take it at first but then went from the very small dose increasing it slowly and this way had less upsets. Also Metformin ER should have less stomach upset but I never tried it as the regular version works for me.

Oh and 11 days mean nothing. Usually most issues should go away afer about 2-3 weeks. Still it's true - Met is not for everyone, but besides the insulin it's the best drug for diabetes.

lordie
No stomach issues at all but probably I'm just lucky ;).

I'd say many people couldn't take it at first but then went from the very small dose increasing it slowly and this way had less upsets. Also Metformin ER should have less stomach upset but I never tried it as the regular version works for me.

Oh and 11 days mean nothing. Usually most issues should go away afer about 2-3 weeks. Still it's true - Met is not for everyone, but besides the insulin it's the best drug for diabetes.

Hi Ela.

My biggest problem was not so much stomach upset. I really wasn't all that uncomfortable and had no real GI symptoms. I was willing to try it for at least a month, having been informed that it takes 3 weeks to see its full effect--even though my weight loss completely stalled from the day after I went on it. I am also not sure it would have any effect at all on my b.s. because I am a T1.5. Because of the completely unexpected 2-pound gain, though, I went digging for more information. Today I read that when you combine it with insulin, the weight gain issue is more likely--and I can't have that--even though most do lose weight.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.