Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gsp

How long are you managing without Medication

Gsp

Hi all

I am new with type 2. My A1c was 8 when diagnosed 2 months before.I am 35 , started on low carb diet , exercise and testing my bs more frequently .I could keep the BS range normal with out medication.Just like to know how long average one can control BS with low carb diet ,exercise and without medication ?

Thanks everyone

gsp

apollo322

I wish we could tell you but, sadly, this disease is just not that linear. It could be many years or it could be never, it all depends on how much pancreatic function you have left. I'm coming up on my first anniversary now.

mjrc64

I have been doing it for about 2.5 years.

I also lost 50 pounds, as well as changed my diet to moderate carbs. I think, for me, the excess weight contributed greatly to insulin resistance, as I can eat things now that would have spiked me at diagnosis.

jwags

There is no one answer to this. My HbA1c started out higher thsn yours. I am guessing there was probably a lot of damage done during pre D. I went 3 months and asked for metformin. But I have an overactive liver thst dumps glucose all the time. If you can get great bgs without medication, you may be able to go many years. Everybody's diabetes is so different.

clebo

I'm not sure what the time period is ,but I've done it for over 2 years now and have gotten into this lifestyle change that I can't see it changing any time soon. I figure I'm going to die of something that is not diabetic related.:D

Seagal

I've been at it almost nine years and the low carb lifestyle works for me. It depends on pancreatic function and each of us is different.

mjrc64

I have an aunt who was T2, and it was before home meters and such, but she did it without meds for many, many years. I only recall her needing insulin maybe in her late 70s or even after 80. And she was diabetic as long as I could remember maybe 20-25 years without meds.

synger

I was dx with pre-D in early 2009. I've been (mostly) low-carb since then, and still no meds. I asked my doc about Metformin, but she won't give it to me unless my A1C is higher. (It's usually between 5.8 and 6.2)

Phil

It seems like one can be considered under control then with an A1C of under 6. No meds necessary unless it goes higher.

Am i correct in my generalization?

Guest AnnC

I went LCHF a few days after diagnosis in November 2011 and have never been on any diabetes medication. Now ketogenic and have non-diabetic BG, so I'm hoping to stay off D medication forever. :)

ramon

Still taking insulin but so much less and some days none at all since going low carb. Last night I had my first plum in years and post test 112.

Thanks to T.S. and so many others for guidance and encouragement.

apollo322
It seems like one can be considered under control then with an A1C of under 6. No meds necessary unless it goes higher.

Am i correct in my generalization?

That's kind of the number I go by, really anything 6.2 or less would be cool by me.

Book Woman
I wish we could tell you but, sadly, this disease is just not that linear. It could be many years or it could be never, it all depends on how much pancreatic function you have left. I'm coming up on my first anniversary now.

Apollo - just read your latest post (and others on this thread) for being just one year on this lifestyle I am amazed at what you have accomplished! Can you share the process of getting to where you are now? Did you begin with low carb or exercise, etc. I have a loooong way to go but want to look back in a year and see progress! Thankx! :o

Diana_CT

I have been one year without meds, my FBG has been slowly creeping up. I don't know if it is due to getting complacent or some other reason like weight gain.

apollo322
Apollo - just read your latest post (and others on this thread) for being just one year on this lifestyle I am amazed at what you have accomplished! Can you share the process of getting to where you are now? Did you begin with low carb or exercise, etc. I have a loooong way to go but want to look back in a year and see progress! Thankx! :o

Book woman I'd be happy to! The first thing I did was quit smoking , then started a low carb diet. For the most part I have stayed below 50-70 grams of carbs a day for the past 15 months. I started walking , slowly at first and just started getting stronger and breathing better. I've become really into the exercise now but to be honest I would have been good enough just sticking with 20 minute walks after breakfast and dinner. I do think breaking up the exercise is much better for your BG that one long session one time in the day. And don't make it too painful or onerous, remember you'll be doing this the rest of your life so make it enjoyable.

The other thing I learned that I never did before is eating all three meals. There was a study done and a lot of people who get this seem to have been the type that didn't eat all day then got home and devoured everything at dinner and la night. One of the best way to stay balanced is eating something every 3 waking hours or so. Once you stick with the routine for about 6 weeks ou feel SO MUCH better you wonder why you didn't do it sooner. As bad as getting this diagnoses was it really has made me a much better and healthier person now, simply by being that daily motivation.

Book Woman
Book woman I'd be happy to! The first thing I did was quit smoking , then started a low carb diet. For the most part I have stayed below 50-70 grams of carbs a day for the past 15 months. I started walking , slowly at first and just started getting stronger and breathing better. I've become really into the exercise now but to be honest I would have been good enough just sticking with 20 minute walks after breakfast and dinner. I do think breaking up the exercise is much better for your BG that one long session one time in the day. And don't make it too painful or onerous, remember you'll be doing this the rest of your life so make it enjoyable.

The other thing I learned that I never did before is eating all three meals. There was a study done and a lot of people who get this seem to have been the type that didn't eat all day then got home and devoured everything at dinner and la night. One of the best way to stay balanced is eating something every 3 waking hours or so. Once you stick with the routine for about 6 weeks ou feel SO MUCH better you wonder why you didn't do it sooner. As bad as getting this diagnoses was it really has made me a much better and healthier person now, simply by being that daily motivation.

Thanks so much Apollo! The notion of a routine makes a lot of sense and that is the first thing I will work on with my family! I like the "grazing" concept of eating and keeping the carb count low. Not sure how low to go though since my family eats the same evening meal with me. But during the day I can keep the count low. Do you spread the carbs evenly throughout the day or doesn't it matter?

Exercise wise, walking the dogs is all I can do now. But, I have noticed my BG is lower after walking the dogs! I will keep walking and increase as I am able. Since lurking the different threads on this forum I have learned more to manage this big D than I thought possible. My BG is still riding a roller coaster but I do have hope! It may take some time but like you said, it will be for the rest of my life! Thank you one and all for being so very generous with your time and knowledge! Much appreciated! :cool:

Sprockets

As a newly diagnosed (1.5 months now) pre-diabetic who was offered meds, it is great to hear these stories. I'm trying very hard to be tight with my diet and so far the results have been good. Not getting enough exercise but I'm working on it.

apollo322

Glad I can pay it forward! The stories I found on here 15 months ago inspired me to give med free a hard try, I knownincouldntnhave done it without stories from moonpie and bill Iowa back then:)

adiantum

Wishing you success Sprockets. I was dx'd 6yrs ago this December & have never been on meds.

My A1c is 6.1 & I know it could be lower if I went on a diet but I'm in this for life so am taking a moderate approach which can be tweaked in later years if necessary.

I don't actually exercise, just walk with my dogs & do yard work.

As a newly diagnosed (1.5 months now) pre-diabetic who was offered meds, it is great to hear these stories. I'm trying very hard to be tight with my diet and so far the results have been good. Not getting enough exercise but I'm working on it.

juan_perez

I have been managing my diabetes without meds for more than 4 years. No meds at all, no complications.

Have a nice day!!!

Tryska

I stopped taking metformin 6 weeks ago, and started changing my diet, and adding exercise. My readings shift incrementally lower each week or 2. They might have gone easier with the meds, but I feel shifting my sugars have been easier and faster without them, and best of all no side effects! I don't know if I will always not be on meds, or even if getting off them now is permanent, but as long as I see progress, I will avoid taking them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.