Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sglamay

Antibodies came back positive

sglamay

I got blood work done a couple of weeks ago to check my antibodies. I am pretty sure it was for a GAD test. My doctor said that it came back positive for the antibodies and that my pancreas was inflamed and that I will be insulin dependent (I am currently on insulin). I am going in to see him next week so he can discuss all this with me, but I was curious to hear some feedback with this as I am newly diagnosed as a diabetic ( was first told I was type 2) and am clueless with the GAD/antibodies thing. Does this mean I am not type 2? Any feedback would be appreciated!! Thanks!

jwags

Many type 2's are misdiagnosed. Positive Antibodies means your immune system is attacking your pancreas. So you produce very little insulin . That means you are a Type 1 and will need injected insulin. You may go through a honeymoon period where your diabetes seems to get better, but that is usually short lived.

Kenton

Let me guess, you were following treatment for type 2 and it just was not working.

So they put you on insulin. Unlike me though your Dr. actually considered that maybe you had another form of Diabetes and checked.

I had to insist on testing to find out what was happening.

Yes if you show antibodies odds are you are not T2. You may have some T2 symptoms like insulin resistance if you are overweight but what is causing your diabetes is your pancreas producing less insulin.

Normally ours is slow progressing, mine took almost 5 years from initial slightly elevated readings to stuck on insulin.

Only really disappointing thing is you can't watch what you eat or exercise this away. but it is good to keep it up anyways as it helps with control and health.

Tribbles
Only really disappointing thing is you can't watch what you eat or exercise this away. but it is good to keep it up anyways as it helps with control and health.

On the plus side you don't have the dietary limitations. :D

Kenton
On the plus side you don't have the dietary limitations. :D

I have to admit that I have occasionally gone on a toot.

Caraba's has this dish called Tag Pic Pac , add grilled chicken and ummmm.

I underestimated how much Apidra to compensate, I must have eaten a couple days worth of carbs in one setting !

But oh it was so worth it.

Did that on my birthday.

I guess that is one positive, I still wish it would just go away.

GrammaBear
I have to admit that I have occasionally gone on a toot.

Caraba's has this dish called Tag Pic Pac , add grilled chicken and ummmm.

I underestimated how much Apidra to compensate, I must have eaten a couple days worth of carbs in one setting !

But oh it was so worth it.

Did that on my birthday.

I guess that is one positive, I still wish it would just go away.

That dish you mentioned sounds yummy:)

I think many of us wish it would just go 'away' or at the very least let us have a "day off".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.