Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antony

Fed up of the ignorance.

Antony

Life with diabetes is difficult enough without the constant comments and jokes about life with diabetes. Daily I have to put up with jokes made about diabetes by people who have absolutely no clue about this horrible disease. Stuff like if you keep eat that you'll get diabetes. Try living with it for a day, then you'll think twice about joking about it.

Guest Oshi

Yes ignorance is bliss isn't it,What goes around can come around sadly,Lot of use have had to deal with idiots like that,I always get my own back one way or another and i hope you do.:D

TX_Clint

Control what you can. You should change your expectations of others. Don't expect others to be anything other than idiots. Then, when they show glimmers of intellegence it's a pleasant suprise.092.gif

patricia52

Someone asked me, What can a diabetic eat. I answered, I can eat anything I want as long as I know the carb count and have enough insulin with me to cover it. That does not mean it wont make me fat or that it is good for me. But it probably wouldn t be good for you either.

briargate

It is soo hard to respond nicely to ignorant comments, I try to zip my mouth and walk away. "You can't fix stupid"

GrammaBear
Control what you can. You should change your expectations of others. Don't expect others to be anything other than idiots. Then, when they show glimmers of intellegence it's a pleasant suprise.092.gif

Love your comment sir. It will definitely give me a 'come back' the next time I encounter a stupid comment also.

Bountyman
Life with diabetes is difficult enough without the constant comments and jokes about life with diabetes.

If the jokes are directed at you...then you have to understand that you teach people how to treat you. I can't fathom a scenario where people around me would be joking about diabetes as general discussion. That's just odd. Since you've chosen to come here and mention this...I'd do something about it before you go "postal" on 'em. The term "Fed Up" makes me mention this.

I'm also wondering; since your profile says you're a male...what does this have to do with pregnancy?

jwags

I find when I told people I was diabetic they all turned into experts. They even told me the lab tests must have been wrong since I was thin and fit. At first I tried to correct them with accurate info but they didn't listen. Now, I just ignore them.

Peggy_TX
I'm also wondering; since your profile says you're a male...what does this have to do with pregnancy?

From some of your other posts, it looks like you're a T1?

Did you post this in the wrong forum?

makiro
If the jokes are directed at you...then you have to understand that you teach people how to treat you. I can't fathom a scenario where people around me would be joking about diabetes as general discussion. That's just odd. Since you've chosen to come here and mention this...I'd do something about it before you go "postal" on 'em. The term "Fed Up" makes me mention this.

He probably wanted a good comeback idea from a diabetic who may produce one fueled with hormones.

I honestly don't let it bother me. I even told an old friend of mine that I want to open up a bakery and call it 'Beetus'. We both laughed we are both diabetics and had those kinds of jokes often but don't let it get to us.

Don't sweat it too much.if you do, your sugar levels will go up.

Penny

Last month, I was looking at "Day After and half off" Halloween candy, thinking about buying some dark chocolate, when a store worker told me a bag of marshmallow candy was really good and even cheaper. I made the mistake of saying " I am Diabetic and I would eat them if I had them around the house", instead of just saying "No, thank you." :) She said "My brother is Diabetic and he eats candy all of the time." I just said that he was lucky he could do that." Then she started telling me, her other brother used to be Diabetic and "cured himself." And started telling me how he did it, what he ate, etc....but he died from a heart attack a few months after he "gave up everything to make the Diabetes go away". So I should eat the marshmallows if I wanted them. My husband tells me it is my own fault for talking to these people all the time. lol But friends and family who have known me for many years still try to advise me, usually I just smile and tell them "Thanks, I will think about that". They all think they are helping, not trying to be mean...I just take it that way. :)

FunDad62

I've found that a lot of people I work with are also diabetic. I talk to them regularly. Although I do tend to blame myself for having the disease. My lifestype for 50 years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.