Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

don't worry ~ i got this

Java

did an experiment last night with dumplins - they actually turned out good and the fam was happy with them - i made the filling for chicken pot pie, put it in a big cast iron skillet on top of stove, dropped dumplins around then kept covered on low for 20 mins - this was a mistake as it the chicken/gravy mixture stick to bottom of pan - i should have doubled the gravy portion and baked it in oven instead - live & learn :)

pie filling:

1/3 cup butter

1/3 cup flour (i used oat flour)

1/3 cup chopped onion

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/8-1/4 tsp thyme

1/8 tsp poultry seasoning

1 3/4 cups chicken broth

2/3 cup milk

2 cups chicken

peas & carrots if you like that (we don't so i do not use them)

cook onion in butter til tender then add flour and spices - cook til thickened and bubbly then add broth and milk - when thick and warm, pour over cooked chicken

dumplins:

2 cups flour (i used equal amounts of oat flour, almond flour & plain protein booster)

1 tsp salt

4 tsps baking powder

1/4 tsp pepper

1 egg, well beaten

2 TBsp melted butter

2/3 cup milk

mix dry ingredients then add beaten egg, melted butter & milk - mix well then drop by spoonfuls into chicken mixture (or into boiling broth if you are doing a soup style dish) - cover and cook for 20 mins or so

my rough estimate is that this had around 18 carbs per serving - this is based on splitting it into four servings

it only raised my BG 1 point one hr ppd

Java

tonight = coleslaw, fried kielbasa & onions and homemade tortillas

not sure if or how the tortillas will turn out - never made them before and i'm using oat flour & almond flour - prob turn out wonky, but we'll see - i have LC store bought ones if they tank - lol

dough:

kielbasa:

coleslaw:

i have to let the dough rest a few more mins before i can roll it out and cook it - i'll be back later to report :)

oh! here's the linky dink to the recipe for the tortilla i'm using :

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chef-Johns-Flour-Tortillas/Detail.aspx

Java

aww thanks! well the tortilla was a complete FAILURE - using oat and almond flour does NOT work - LOL

my ice cream maker came in so i'm gonna wash the bowl and stick it in the freezer and make vanilla ice cream tomorrow

:)

and maybe a pumpkin pie using the same crust i used for the cheesecake

Java

just took my pumpkin pie out of the oven a few mins ago - man does our house smell goooooood!! i used the coconut pecan crust posted earlier in this thread and just used the recipe on the libby's pumpkin can - instead of sugar i used a mix of splenda & stevia

if i figured the numbers correctly, cut into 8 pieces, each piece has approx 18.5 carbs & 11.1 grams of fiber - i count 'net' carbs, personally, but whatevva works for you

:D

guess since the exposed crust toasted too long, we'll just cut that part off

i'm gonna make homemade vanilla ice cream later today as well

Java

i mixed together the ingredients for the ice cream and it has to sit in fridge for a couple of hours so while it sits i decided to shred my zucchini into 'pasta' strips for tonight - this is my first time using this lil gadget and OMG, i was squealin like a piggie on a farm! love this gadget - now just hope the 'pasta' is family approved - we'll see when i feed it to the fam tonight. gonna make a meat sauce for it and keep it warm in the crockpot til dinner time and then i'll gently steam the 'pasta' before adding it to the sauce

yes, i peeled them first to make them look more like pasta

:D

Java

ice cream is done - turned out pretty good, i'd say - was my first time ever making it - just used the simple vanilla recipe that came with the book - it tasted too strong of stevia with an aftertaste so i will have to tweak that a bit to find what works better - maybe just using less, or may use a mix of stevia with either splenda or erythritol - i think it'll be nice on the pumpkin pie though :)

while it mixed:

all done:

Peggy_TX

For thankgiving, I made ginger ice cream to put on the pumpkin pie. (just made a vanilla recipe, and sweetened it with Torani "gingerbread" syrup)

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Haven't pulled out the ice cream maker in a while.... maybe it's time!

Peggy_TX
hey now! i don't have any superhuman abilities, silly woman!

OK... other than the spiral slicer (which apparently I am the only person in the world who can't use!), I could make almost any of the recipes you've posted.

In fact, I *have* made some of them (or similar variations)

But they aren't anywhere near as pretty AND I think I'm capable of about 1 baking experiment every 2-3 months. NOT multiples in a day!!!!

Frankly, the McGriddle things that MCS posted were fabulous. But while I got all the ingredients and tools, it would have been weeks or MONTHS before I actually made them (thankfully, my SO is a great cook and loves a challenge)

So... I stand by my "superhuman" comment, and you're just going to have to accept it. :T

apollo322

Thank god I have a daughter that wants to be a chef! Man Angie your recipes and sense of adventure trying to make ANYTHING is impressive. You really DO got this!!

moneymeister

Angie...I love ya guurl, you are above awesome. Yes, you make me wanna slip on a strand of pearls and my apron and be a better woman. Which LC pancake recipe did you make? I am dying for some pancakes.

your thread rocks!

moneymeister

mmmm mmmmm mmmmmm Do you think they would work as waffles with a little oil added?

Thanks for the info on where to find them...I missed that post.

Java

recipe calls for 1 tsp of oil, if i remember correctly - and yes, i'm sure they would - just mix it til you get the consistency you want - hubs wants me to try that for him but we have a DEEEEEP waffle maker so i'd prob have to dbl the recipe to fill it up good

good luck!

:)

Peggy_TX

OK... in the off-chance I can leave another "baking challenge" for my SO -- what whey powder did you use for the pancakes?