Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

don't worry ~ i got this

Java

well i forgot to try making them with cc ~ maybe this wkend i can try it out

just made these buns based on the fathead dough ~ i ate one split in half with butter ~ um, yeah, these will be a regular in my house ~ i really like them a lot ~ they would work well as biscuits

IMG_3617.thumb.JPG.d9af14611dd8bc9af70b77be46ebdb0f.JPG

Edited by Java

macksvicky

Excellent timing Angie, right in time for Thanksgiving. They look better than store bought rolls too. 

Kit

I've been looking at that recipe and another one like it.  I'm curious to hear what you think.  It actually sounds more forgiving this way than the traditional.

meyery2k

I love Chinese roast pork.  The kind with the crispy pork rind like skin and the oh so tender flesh and fat.  I often order this in the Chinese restaurant.  It is pretty expensive at the restaurant and in the store.  

I found some pork belly on sale and had a go at making my own.  It came out pretty good on a first try...

It didn't last long enough for me to bother cutting it lol...

Crispy Roasted Pork Belly Recipe

Serves 4 | Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 1:40 Minutes
Recipe Source: Robert Danhi

Ingredients:

2 lbs pork belly
6 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon five spice powder
1 cup salt

Method:

To make this recipe a lot more accessible, check out the following video. Make sure you subscribe to my YouTube channel for future videos.

1. Preheat the oven to 350F/180c, arrange a pan on the bottom 1/3 of oven rack and fill with water. The pork belly should be roasted using the rack above it.
2. Wash and use paper towels to dry the pork belly.
3. Make some horizontal slits on the sides of the belly, then insert each garlic and push them deep in so they don’t burn.
4. Rub the meat side with the five spice powder.
5. Then layer the top of the pork belly with the salt evenly.
6. Place the pork belly on a wire rack, and place at the top 1/3 of the oven for 1 hour. While baking, the oil will drip to the bottom pan with water.
7. Bake until the salt crust forms, the salt should be hardened. Check water in the pan below and add if needed.
8. Remove the pork belly from the oven, pull off the salt crust and discard.
9. Raise the heat of oven to 465f/240c, place the pork belly back in and roast for another 40 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes. Cut and serve immediately with some chili sauce and hoisin sauce, or eat as is.

Kit
On 9/14/2016 at 7:13 PM, Kit said:

Wow, tonight's dinner was really good. It was shakshuka inspired.

I started my sautéing onion and red bell pepper, and kale in a good amount of olive oil and butter till soft and translucent. Then I added in 3 chopped roma tomatoes, a little salt, lots of black pepper, garlic, oregano, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Added more olive oil and butter and a splash of white wine and let simmer for about a half hour.

I really didn't measure much as usual for me, but there was likely close to a third cup of fat between olive oil and butter. I simmered it long enough for the tomatoes to get soft and I tried to smoosh them up as much as possible.

At this point I turned the heat up to about medium and cracked in 3 eggs let simmer a little longer then put on a lid and let simmer for a few minutes more. Whites are cooked, yellows soft but not runny.

It tasted amazing and I ate every scrap and licked the plate afterwards. Yeah, I know, very dignified. :)

I honestly don't know how to take this.

https://www.castironketo.net/blog/keto-shakshuka-single-serving

Not totally identical, but very very similar.

meyery2k

I think this will become a staple.  I will try substituting zucchini for potatoes.  That seems to work in many stew/soup recipes I come across for me.  What is nice about not using potatoes is that I can freeze it without the potatoes getting "creepy".

https://natashaskitchen.com/zuppa-toscana-recipe-video/

Kit

Radishes might also work well as a replacement for potatoes and should be able to freeze and thaw as well without getting mushy.