Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magdalena

High fat, high carb pregnancy cravings!!! Help!!

Magdalena

I'm so frustrated! I'm 5 and 1/2 weeks pregnant (not 7 and 1/2 as I originally thought).. The problem I'm having is that I can't stop craving heavy carb items such as pizza and pasta... Those things make my blood sugar go sky high! Help!! Oh, and chocolate! The cravings are so powerful!! It's worse than dieting and not being able to eat a particular food. Has anyone found a way to curb these cravings?? Today I really wanted pizza... So I actually made my own with extra thin crust, diced tomatoes, mushrooms and cheese. I feel better than if I was just to buy it, and I ate half of the pizza and I feel horrible! I've already gained 3 lbs since I've been binging (about 2 weeks) I know some of you will say "what's 3 lbs???" But I am already overweight (15lbs)... And I should only gain 15-20lbs throughout the pregnancy, so 3 lbs is a lot at only 5 and 1/2 weeks!! Ahhhhh!

pat593

Make something sweet you can indulge in - I make sugar free strawberry jello and mix in cool whip for a wonderful strawberry mousse. Also can make sugar free jello pudding mousse with whipped cream.

Know the cravings well - I craved mashed potatoes for some reason! Had to eat whipped cauliflower! I was a gestational diabetic with my last and the cravings got much more manageable about the first trimester - I actually lost a few pounds in my last trimester. I wouldn't worry so much about the weight gain - pick your battles - only thing that matters is staying healthy. Congratulations.

rubidoux

I understand the idea of worrying about your blood sugar, but you really do have to get over the weight worries. You say that you're 15 pounds overweight like that is obviously a horror, but it really isn't. And it's is only gonna get worse from here on out. Is there anything that is easy to cover with insulin that would be satisfying? For me, that thing would be vanilla or coffee hagen dazs (which sounds awfully good right now! lol). I can keep my blood sugar pretty stable even if I eat a whole pint.

I do know what you mean about the cravings being really powerful. I never had cravings that early in my pregnancies, but during my second pregnancy, especially, I had crazy insane apple cravings and I remember almost trembling on the way home because I hadn't had an apple for like three hours and I was almost there to get one. I was eating like 8 or 9 of those giant costco apples every day, for like months. And by the time he was born in february apples were totally out of season and the wrong texture and I couldn't get a fix.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.