Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jhilmill

Normal delivery in type 2 diabetes

Jhilmill

Hi

I am new to this forum. I am type 2 diabetic currently 14 weeks pregnant.:) I need to know if you know is it possible to have normal delivery in diabetic pregnancy and can those people share their A1C and other experiences.

Jhilmill

Diagnosed May 2012 A1C 9.3

pre pregnancy Jan 2013 A1C -5.6

March 2013 A1C-4.8

Current Medication - Metformin 2500mg, lantus 10 units bed time, Novaloc before lunch and dinner as per need 2-5units

Blooeyes

Congratulations on your pregnancy :) I'm currently 27 weeks pregnant with my second child. With my first child I had a normal vaginal delivery. I was induced at 38 weeks though, not for any medical reason to do with me in particular....as I was going fine no problems at all. They told me it is what they do because for no apparent reason babies of diabetic mothers can die in the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure how true that is and I haven't really looked into it. I guess I just trusted my maternity hospital that they knew what they were doing and were acting in the best interests of my baby and I. Other than the induction I had a very uncomplicated birth. My level was 6.0 first trimester then 5.4 second and 5.2 in the third trimester. :)

SmileyKT

Hello and congrats on both of your pregnancies!!! I was pre-diabetic for many years and then when I got pregnant I developed gestational diabetes pretty early on. I had it basically the whole time I was pregnant and now after I have Type 2. I was also on insulin during pregnancy, and I was able to deliver vaginally as well. I was induced as well as Blooeyes, but at 39 weeks. Everything was going fine with me as well, sugars were under control and my blood pressure was great too, I was also on medicine and still am for that. I had seen a high risk doctor that wanted me to be induced early and by that point I was ready to have the baby so I didn't mind. Not all diabetics have to be induced I don't think, you should ask your doctor to see what they say! But you can definately have a very normal delivery being diabetic!

And also don't worry if your sugars start going a little crazy or just different. Pregnancy hormones can fluctuate so many things. I remember being very frustrated in the beginning because I couldn't get my insulin right, but once I did it was a lot better. And also towards the end of pregnancy you might have to take more insulin because of hormones but after delivery things should go back to normal.

Oh and one more thing! My son had slightly low blood sugar when he was born, but he was fine by the time we left the hospital. I'm not sure if that was because I was on insulin, or if that just happens though. They had to supplement him with formula and he was fine. Good luck and if you have any other questions please feel free to private message me or write on this board! Having a baby is so excitng!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.