Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marjnh

24 weeks pregnant & use Minimed pump, any suggestions on where to put CGM sensor?

marjnh

I just joined this site and am very happy to have found it!

I am a Type 1 diabetic that got on the Medtronic minimed pump right before finding out I was pregnant. I have been wearing the CGM sensor also and have found it helpful most of the time, but it is not always accurate and sometimes frustrating. My stomach is now becoming an unusable injection site, does anyone have any recommendations on where to put the CGM sensor? I have noticed that people say the hip area for the pump infusion set, but my hip area does not have much fat? I'd really appreciate any advice :)

Marian

Type 1 Diabetic

Minimed insulin pump & CGM sensor

poodlebone

I am not pregnant, but I find my legs are the most comfortable, reliable spot for sensors. The upper area, on top not the sides. If you're sitting dowm, the sensors would be facing up. Someone on another forum mentioned putting her sensors there and I tried it and never went back to my abdomen. I also use my arms sometimes. I can insert them myself but it's easier if you have someone help you. Taping it all down is actually the hardest part. When I was thinking of starting the sensors I went to a class MInimed ran and the nurse teaching the class was wearing her sensor on her arm. I use the upper arm and I like to have them so the sensor is facing out when my arms and down at my sides. Other people have mentioned using the backs of their arms but I can't insert them there by myself. I also tried infusion sets there and it hurt, so I stick with the outside.

marjnh

Liz- thanks so much for your reply! I'll definitely try the upper part of my legs. It is nice to hear that you have had CGM success with that area. Thanks again :)

Kathryn10

Hi Marian,

Which sites do you use for your pump? I'm 21 weeks pregnant and am concerned about this, but used my stomach throughout my last pregnancy too. Just curious.

Steal

Kathryn, I couldn't use my stomach during my pregnancies. I found it was too tight during my first pregnancy and with my second, my lower stomach was different post c-section. So, I used my hip for both pregnancies and found only one hip was really working. It has been great to be able to use my stomach again, post pregnancies. I know many woman that use their stomach during pregnancies, but I just wasn't able to.

Marian, I use minimed, but not CGM, so that is why I never responded. I hope things are going well. I tested about 15-20 times a day while pregnant and I am pretty close to that when I am not pregnant, too (12-15). The difference was that I would wake up in the night while I was pregnant, to ensure that my basal rates were right.

Hope all is going well for both of you.

Kathryn10

Thanks Steph! My stomach is starting to get harder and I changed sites last night and it hurt, but it's working there. I'm scared to try new sites!

marjnh

Thanks Steph and Kathryn! I have always used my stomach area (pre-pregnancy and up until now) and I agree that it is a little scary/stressful to try new sites, especially since the baby depends on its efficiency too. If my stomach wasn't starting to get tight all over, I would definitely use it throughout the pregnancy. I just tried the area above my hip/on my side for both the CGM and infusion set, so I'm hopeful that it'll work. Hope everything is working out for you!

Kathryn10

Thank you! My biggest fear is for my pump to fail while I'm sleeping and have that affect the baby. Good luck with everything!!

kiranchandra

use the upper arm and I like to have them so the sensor is facing out when my arms and down at my sides. Other people have mentioned using the backs of their arms

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.