Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2high

Quick Question

Bountyman

That's kind of a leading question. Is this every day...or was this just a one-time test? If it's every day...I'd say no, it's not okay. If it were a one-time thing...I'd say more tests were in line.

As an addendum here: Some people run a little higher in their blood glucose levels and won't suffer any consequences from them. Others are the opposite...and then there's everyone else in between. If they had a fasting blood glucose test, a level between 70 and 100 mg/dL is considered normal. A level of 100-125 mg/dL means they may have impaired fasting glucose, a type of pre-diabetes. A level of 126 mg/dL and higher most often means they have diabetes. But I wouldn't use a one-time test as a benchmark.

k_dub

How long was this person fasting before the test?

If it were me, I'd be concerned that I have issues with carbohydrate metabolism...

mom24grlz

it does seem a bit high. According to pink panther diabetes book

"Non-Diabetic Normal Values for Children" are as followed

1. Normal Fasting numbers 70-100

2. Normal Random Numbers 70-130

It also notes: The direcnet study group showed that approximately 95% of values for non diabetic children are in this range. However occasionally values down to 60 and for random values up to 144 are still normal.

Is he showing any signs of type 1, like excessive urination, drinking a lot, weight loss, fatigue, ect? Does his breath smell sweet? If he has any of these symptoms I'd get him seen by a doctor or taken to the ER. You really do not want to mess around with type 1 diabetes. (as you know)

2high
*sighs*

What prompted you to test him?

I sometimes randomly prick him, because I'm hyper vigilent (sp) about this... but lately, he's been as ornery as as a lion with a toothache, drinking heaps, waking in the night to ask for drinks, wetting through his night time nappies... His weight is the same as it was a month ago, but he's grown nearly an inch.

The dr wasn't overly concerned. He said that he's taking me seriously, but to keep an eye on things. He doesn't feel there is any need to do c-peptides etc atm, even though I requested them. He did a fingerstick there, and he was just 4.4 (79). He's done a urine test, but we won't have results for a few days. I'm not comfortable with this, but have made an apt with his paed (who was also MY paed!) for a weeks time.

Hooterville
I sometimes randomly prick him, because I'm hyper vigilent (sp) about this... but lately, he's been as ornery as as a lion with a toothache, drinking heaps, waking in the night to ask for drinks, wetting through his night time nappies... His weight is the same as it was a month ago, but he's grown nearly an inch.

The dr wasn't overly concerned. He said that he's taking me seriously, but to keep an eye on things. He doesn't feel there is any need to do c-peptides etc atm, even though I requested them. He did a fingerstick there, and he was just 4.4 (79). He's done a urine test, but we won't have results for a few days. I'm not comfortable with this, but have made an apt with his paed (who was also MY paed!) for a weeks time.

OK, hun. Take care. Thanks for the update.

adiantum

He really is a lucky boy to have such a great mum.

One with D awareness & confidence

Yup, Riley... and he'd been fasting 12 hrs

2high

8.3 // 149 this morning, 2 hrs post breakfast (a slice of toast with vegemite and 100ml of soy milk). I'm stressing the f**k out.

2high

I'm ok, Deb. Can't get his paed apt moved any closer than next Friday though. I'm gonna take him with me to my hospital apt tomorrow and ask them to check him out there.

Java

hope he is okay ((((hugs)))))

our lil guy has been ornery and mean and wakes during the night too asking for water - i just assumed he was going through the 'terrible three's' cause the ladies at daycare say all the kids have been ornery lately

i never thought to prick his finger

Java

hey girl - just checkin in on you and your lil guy - how's he doing? have you tested him anymore?

((hugs))

hope your pregnancy and wedding planning is going as you want it too, also

:)

2high

Sorry guys, I've been stressed to the max with a million things going on. He seems ok... no more out of range numbers, and we have his paed apt this friday. <3

2high

Ok, saw the paed friday. He's not too concerned, but has given me a slip to get fasting bloods and c-peptides done. Fingers crossed it all comes back normal and the funny readings were just cuz he was sick

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.