Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double

Novalog 70/30 to novalog?

Double

Can I swap these? Wat is the difference in these? I have access to some novalog 100 and it would lot cheaper if I can change over thanks in advance

Cormac_Doyle

70/30 is a mixture of 70% novalog and 30% slow acting (lantus).

If you switch to normal novalog, you will need to add in a basal insulin.

You will find control much easier if you use one or two injections of lantus or levemir to give you your basal insulin requirements, and then do carb counting to caluclate the amount of novalog each meal or snack requires ... its definitely something I would encourage - but given that you are asking this question, I would suggest you need to sit down with your CDE and haver them explain carb counting and novalog dosing for meals, as typically, 70/30 therapy does not account for meals ... it is structured the other way around: the 70/30 is administered, and then you change your meals and activities to fit in around it ...

poodlebone

Since the Novolog 70/30 contains both fast & slow acting insulin (the 70% is the slow stuff) you can not just switch over to plain Novolog. If you injected the same amount of Novolog as you did the 70/30 you'd be getting all fast acting, not just 30%. That can cause your blood sugar to drop too low soon after taking it. You might find your BG runs high at other times because you lack the long acting part of the 70/30.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.