Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poodlebone

Levoxyl out of stock

poodlebone

Last week I went to the mail order pharmacy website my insurance uses to order a refill of my Levoxyl. There was a message saying it would be out of stock for 6 weeks. I checked again yesterday and it still said 6 weeks, and that I should get a 30 day supply filled at a local pharmacy. I have a prescription that I got from my CDE in February and hadn't sent in to Express Scripts since I knew I had 2 refills left on ym existing script. So, I went to a few drugstores today and nobody has it. They all tell me the same thing - out of stock. I did a quick Google search and saw something about how it may not be back until sometime in 2014.

I have been on Levoxyl for maybe 13-14 years now. I have always gotten that brand of levothyroxine and two doctors told me I should always take one brand/manufacturer. Other people have told me that generics don't work for them. Also, pharmacies often order different generics at different times, whatever is cheapest I guess, so you might get it from Manufacturer A one time and Manufacturer B the next. I guess I don't have a choice now and will have to take a generic. I don't think my insurance will cover Synthroid and even if they do, my co-pay will be much higher. I have about 4 weeks left of Levoxyl and will have to talk to my CDE about it. One store told me they couldn't even give me the generic because the script had the DAW box filled in.

moneymeister

I use the generic without a problem...it's consistent maker levothyroxine with one (CVS) drugstore. Surprised the Synthroid is so much (?)

poodlebone

Some people have reported problems (allergies) to some levothyroxine by certain manufacturers but I think the bigger issue is consistency in the strength from one manufacturer to the next. This is why two doctors (and one pharmacist) have told me to stay with just one brand. When it was first prescribed for me, it was written as Synthroid but was not written DAW, which meant it was filled generically. I was given Levoxyl. The pharmacist explained that he liked to use that as the generic because it was obvious to the patient each time that they were getting the same medication since it's such a memorable shape. I have never taken anything else. I guess that only time will tell and when I have my labs done next I'll see if there's any change.

In the meantime I'll have to e-mail the CDE for a new prescription that doesn't say DAW.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.