Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eyad

am I 1.5 Type?

Tribbles
**** why is diabetes so confusing?!

Type 2

I've never heard of Type 1.5 before and have been T1 for 10 years now!

You are not alone, a lot of doctors haven't heard of it either. It is usually called LADA and is a relatively recent discovery made when they tried to work out the pathology of a group of patients who didn't fit the classic Type 2 model. They discovered the patients all had antibodies and slowly developing insulin dependency. The original assumption was that they were rapidly deteriorating Type 2s who were not exercising adequate control.

GretchO

It's also not an "official" diagnosis in that there's no medical record code for it (I don't think).

Tribbles
It's also not an "official" diagnosis in that there's no medical record code for it (I don't think).

It's ICD-9 coded as Type 1 or Unspecified depending on the doctor's whim and what they are trying to get reimbursed. :D

As with many things the ICD-9 coding is broad brush and doesn't distinguish between variations, ICD-10 coding is marginally better, and the draft ICD-11 is a lot better. You can definitely get it as an LADA diagnosis today though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.