Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rrenda

Need input.

rrenda

Ok, so I was diagnosed T1.5 in Dec 2012. A1c 14.9. My Endo put me on Levemir and Novolog. Levemir according to carbs and Novolog 12 units split. This has been working really great, last A1c was 6.8. My #'s have been between 70 and 110. Now this week my #'s have been good upon waking but are rising to 120's and 130's three to four hours after meals. I eat low carb, no more than 35-40 a day. I go to the gym 6 days a week, treadmill, stepper, and weight lifting. The only change in my routine is a little more aggressive workout. Could this be causing the rise?

TX_Clint

I'd talk to your Endo about it but it sounds to me like your basal dose is too low. More intense exercise has only caused my BG to dip not elevate but everyone is different.

Kathryn10

Do you mean Levemir 12 units split and Novolog according to carbs? When I started lifting weights my bgs would be higher after my workouts, so that could be the case for you. I think exercise can affect different people in different ways in terms of their bgs. My bg would rise during and after a workout, but not throughout the entire day. If you're seeing higher numbers throughout the day then you may want to increase your long-acting insulin as TX_Clint said.

rrenda
Hidden

Yes, Levemir 12 split and Novolog to carbs. I have been lifting for quite some time without any rise. I just recently started uphill sprints and thought maybe that was it, but this am woke up with allergy symptoms and had use an inhaler. I was wondering if allergies could cause these issues. Before I went to the gym this morning My BG was 95. When I got home after it was 155. I did up my Levemir to 14 split to see if that would help, but still same issue today.

rrenda

Yes, Levemir 12 and Novolog to carbs. I have been lifting for quite awhile without any rise, but recently started uphill sprints and thought maybe that was it, but it continues through out the day. Good control around meals, but rising 2 to 4 hours after. I also am suffering from some allergies and had to use an inhaler this am before the gym. BG was 95 before workout and 155 after. not sure if it was the workout or the inhaler. I did raise my Levemir to 14 split with no results so far.

Kathryn10

Hmm, it could be the sprints too. When I sprint or lift weights my bg rises, but if I run/walk easily or do some other sort of easy cardio it will drop. I have no idea if using an inhaler or having allergies would affect bgs. How long has it been since you've adjusted your Levemir? I know that when I need to make basal rate adjustments I have to give it a couple of days to see if it makes a difference.

rrenda

Its only been a couple days since I changed my Levemir. I think I'll lay off the sprints for a few days and see if it makes a difference. Just checked my BG, 3 hrs post meal and it was much better, 96.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.