Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StacieCDavis

Lantus and the Fridge

StacieCDavis

OK...I've recently been diagnosed Type 1 and they started me on Lantus at night to help lower my fasting number. I SWEAR the nurse told me to keep the pen in the refrigerator. That was a week ago...so today I decide to read the insert/instructions and it says to keep the opened pen at room temp. So I immediately took it out of the fridge. Is this going to ruin this pen? Should I put it back in the fridge? Help!:confused:

TX_Clint

Relax. You should be good for 28 days at room temperature. I keep my unopened pens in the fridge and my opened pen in my bed stand.

Lloyd

Unused pens should last a year in the frig, used pens only a month or so whether refrigerated or not. Cold insulin stings, and can get air bubbles in it. When you use the last insulin in a pen, take the next one out of the frig.

-Lloyd

MrTomJones

I never fridge my Lantus........ and use a bottle in 40 days. I do not throw it out at 28.

According to my pharmacist, the manufacturer has suggested that 28 days is the max only due to contamination issues. poking it 28 times increases the risk.

Don't freeze it or nuke it, you'll be fine.

I think the nurses always say to fridge it due to them not reading the directions. Lets go with that,. nurses pfffffffffffft

Bountyman
OK...I've recently been diagnosed Type 1 and they started me on Lantus at night to help lower my fasting number. I SWEAR the nurse told me to keep the pen in the refrigerator.

Aside from Mr. Jones' opinion about nurses; more than likely the nurse, knowing that Solostar pens come 5 to a box, told you to keep "them" in the fridge thinking that you would read the instructions that are printed in bold type on the back of the Solostar box.

Curious: A few questions, if you will. How may units did they start you on and what, if any information did they give you about titration? And since you're a Type 1, there was no mention of a bolus insulin?

mom24grlz

Hi welcome :) Lantus is good for 28 days once you open it whether it is refrigerated or not. Unused insulin should remain in the refrigerator. Really i think it's a personal thing, whether you like your insulin refrigerated or not. We do not refrigerate open insulin. Ashleigh carries it around in her purse. So it's available if she needs it. My grandmother is a type 2 insulin dependent and likes her insulin cold from the fridge. Just matter of preference.

StacieCDavis
Aside from Mr. Jones' opinion about nurses; more than likely the nurse, knowing that Solostar pens come 5 to a box, told you to keep "them" in the fridge thinking that you would read the instructions that are printed in bold type on the back of the Solostar box.

Curious: A few questions, if you will. How may units did they start you on and what, if any information did they give you about titration? And since you're a Type 1, there was no mention of a bolus insulin?

They did not tell me anything about titration or bolus insulin. I just found out on April 17, they put me on only 5 units at night due to my fasting numbers being higher than desired. My next appt is May 15. What should I be asking them???:confused:

Bountyman
They did not tell me anything about titration or bolus insulin. I just found out on April 17, they put me on only 5 units at night due to my fasting numbers being higher than desired. My next appt is May 15. What should I be asking them???:confused:

First, ask them if they know what a Type 1 diabetic is and how that condition should be treated. Type 1s produce zero to little insulin, are usually diagnosed by a c-peptide test to see how much insulin they're still producing, are given a starting insulin basal according to their weight, are set up with a diabetes education class, are explained how to titrate up their basal insulin rates and prescribed a bolus insulin to inject before their meals. It seems to me, since Type 1 diabetes is a life threatening condition...you were basically told NOTHING!

Now, if you mistook their diagnoses and are confusing Type 1 with Type 2...that's a different story. 5 units isn't very much. Your starting dosage is very conservative, in my opinion. This from the makers of Lantus: [The recommended starting dose of LANTUS in patients with type 2 diabetes who are not currently treated with insulin is 10 units (or 0.2 Units/kg) once daily, which should subsequently be adjusted to the patient's needs.] In other words; if you're a 125-pound female, your starting dosage would usually be about 11 units...to be titrated up as your basal numbers come down until you've leveled off at an acceptable fasting blood glucose number. The heavier you are, the more body you have to cover in your basal insulin. That's if you're not insulin resistant.

As to questions to ask...I'll let those with Type 1 answer that, if that's okay?

My advice in all this is be your own best advocate. Diabetes has attacked you. Fight back with everything you have. Show it who's boss! Most important...read as much as you can here and ask as many questions as you like.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.